Hello

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-08-2012, 09:20 PM
Hello
Hello all, i'm a 26 year old American male who lives near Cincinnati. I became an Atheist probably about....seven years ago, when I got out of high school. I used to be a devout christian, carrying a Bible around school, attended first a Baptist church as a child, then a Pentecostal church as a teen (I know, moved on from "Little Crazy" to "Straight up Woo.")

I began to question a lot of the teachings and beliefs when a number of my fellow church members began to tell me how I should live my life, how I had to look, and the ultimate kicker, who I was allowed and not allowed to date, which, had to be blessed (Accepted/Given Permission), by the pastor. Not only that, as I grew older, and I started thinking for myself, along with doing my own research and reading, came to realize that it was all just nonsense. I stopped going to church and youth groups, put up my Bible, and became a rational humanist. Since then, my mind has been freed.

Of course, it has not come without it's share of problems. Though thankfully, my immediate family, being my mother and step-father, were not religious, both being essentially agnostic, (It was my half-sister's grandparents who had me going to church), made no fuss or peep about it. Even my grandmother, who does believe in God, though whether she is christian or not, I do not know, does not seem concerned nor minds it. But there are others in the family who have treated my non-belief with hostility, well, those who know of it, such as my uncle, who is not religious, but a straight up conspiracy nut. Which I found strikingly odd due to the fact he did not prescribe to any religion, or really believe in God as most agnostics or deists would, but that the creator is.....aliens.

Beyond that, I have not told anyone else in my family, feeling that it best be left unsaid, though all of my friends know of my non-belief, as many of them are non-believers themselves.

Well, I think I rambled on long enough. Just wanna say, this is the first Atheist forum/community I have joined, and thank Seth for the wonderful videos and podcasts he puts out.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like JerichoStar's post
31-08-2012, 09:49 PM
RE: Hello
Hey, it's a former BaptiCostal. Welcome! Thumbsup

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
31-08-2012, 09:51 PM
Thanks. And indeed.
31-08-2012, 09:55 PM
Welcome, good sir.

Feel free to jump in with both feet. The water's lovely.

It's a very mixed community here. Watch out for smart-arses (many) and trolls (few) and enjoy yourself.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
31-08-2012, 09:58 PM
Will do. Already threw up a post in the Creationism subforum of the Atheism and Theism forums.
31-08-2012, 10:12 PM
(31-08-2012 09:58 PM)JerichoStar Wrote:  .... Already threw up a post ...

You should be more careful what you eat!

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
31-08-2012, 10:14 PM
Hahaha, good one.
01-09-2012, 08:53 AM
Welcome aboard

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
01-09-2012, 09:15 AM
(31-08-2012 09:20 PM)JerichoStar Wrote:  "Little Crazy" to "Straight up Woo."

That's the best line I've heard all week.
It does describe most of us though. Weeping

But welcome anyway. Tongue

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
01-09-2012, 10:57 AM
Welcome!

[Image: g8g7t.jpg]