Hello All

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-05-2017, 10:14 PM
Hello All
Hi everyone. I'm new here... obviously. I wanted to join something where I could express what's on my mind freely without judgement. I come from a baptist christian home, and I'm the oddball,/free thinker of the family. I gradually became an atheist as I transitioned into adulthood. Unfortunately, it is not something I can openly admit for fear of upsetting my family. Hence, why I am here. So, nice to meet you all! Look forward to talking.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like runkaroo's post
01-05-2017, 11:14 PM
RE: Hello All
Welcome!

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
01-05-2017, 11:34 PM
Hi, nice to meet you Smile

I'm sorry you have to keep things a secret. I hope being here can give you a nice outlet.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-05-2017, 04:23 AM
(01-05-2017 10:14 PM)runkaroo Wrote:  Unfortunately, it is not something I can openly admit for fear of upsetting my family. Hence, why I am here. So, nice to meet you all! Look forward to talking.

People come here to be able to speak freely about what's on their minds and to learn new perspectives from others. You will likely fit right in.
[+] 1 user Likes Thoreauvian's post
02-05-2017, 04:34 AM
(01-05-2017 10:14 PM)runkaroo Wrote:  Hi everyone. I'm new here... obviously. I wanted to join something where I could express what's on my mind freely without judgement. I come from a baptist christian home, and I'm the oddball,/free thinker of the family. I gradually became an atheist as I transitioned into adulthood. Unfortunately, it is not something I can openly admit for fear of upsetting my family. Hence, why I am here. So, nice to meet you all! Look forward to talking.
Don't put yourself into awkward positions just to make a point. We get people who "came out" and wound up homeless or worse. 'Cause Christians are so Christ-like. Facepalm
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post
02-05-2017, 05:55 AM
Welcome!

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
02-05-2017, 07:24 AM
Hello All
Welcome.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
02-05-2017, 07:47 AM
Welcome!
02-05-2017, 07:55 AM
(01-05-2017 10:14 PM)runkaroo Wrote:  Hi everyone. I'm new here... obviously. I wanted to join something where I could express what's on my mind freely without judgement. I come from a baptist christian home, and I'm the oddball,/free thinker of the family. I gradually became an atheist as I transitioned into adulthood. Unfortunately, it is not something I can openly admit for fear of upsetting my family. Hence, why I am here. So, nice to meet you all! Look forward to talking.

Lots of brilliant brains here. Never let a theist make you feel stumped. If you run into an argument you have not heard from a theist before, and are not sure, feel free to run it by people here, they will be happy to rip it to shreds. That way you get to learn too.

I have been on line with atheists on multiple media websites and social pages since 01. It took me years to learn all the stuff I have in my brain now.

If you are not familiar with the following scientists and or authors try these books. Take your time, this isn't a classroom, just suggested reading, no deadline required.

1. The God Delusion, Richard Dawkins.
2. God The Failed Hypothesis, Victor Stenger
3. The New Atheism, Victor Stenger
4. God Is Not Great, The late Christopher Hitchens
5. The End Of Faith, Sam Harris
6. Letter To A Christian Nation, Sam Harris
7. Infidel, Ayaan Hirsi Ali

You will find, if you debate people from all the major religions the arguments are all the same.

1. I got it right.
2. My holy writing says, (circular reasoning)
3. My holy person says.
4. We have a history
5. Science is wrong, unless it points to my club(believe me, every religion does this, bar none).
6. ^^^^^ They will try to debunk science, and when they cant do that they will point to discoveries made by people within their histories. ALL religions try to pull this.

If you accept evolution, and life being older than written religion, and you accept our planet as being 4 billion years old, and you accept our universe as being 13.8 billion years old with 100s of billions of galaxies in our observable universe, then it should be obvious that ALL religions and god claims are human made, and none of this was put here for humans.

Yes, it is a long response for an intro, but just some stuff to help you out now that you are out. You have lots of help here when you need it, never be afraid to bounce anything off of us here. There is always someone who can show you how to counter theists arguments.

Be sure to barbecue kittens, record the NFL without their permission and rip the tags off of your mattress.Big Grin

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
[+] 1 user Likes Brian37's post
02-05-2017, 09:47 AM
Welcome to TTA. Listen closely to what Brian37 posted above, read those books or at least one or two.

I haven't read them but then again I haven't needed to I came about atheism slowly on my own long before I found the atheist forums. I suspect I was an atheist from birth, nothing about religion(s) ever made sense or had much effect on me. The "studies" I went through in Sunday school were fine for Sunday and were confined to Sundays, the rest of the weeks were devoted to "reality" with no reference to "religion". That was a non-issue for me.

Good luck with your travels into the world of atheism.

Today is the best day of my life and tomorrow will be even better.
Robert himself