Hello. And why i gave up on religion.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-02-2015, 10:00 AM
Hello. And why i gave up on religion.
Hello, my name is ResistenceXD0001, and i am glad to be a part of the atheist community. Cool

I was born into a Methodist household, and although they weren't extremely religious, i was taught the basic kids stories in the bible (noahs ark, parting the red sea, adam and eve EcT....) .... And i believed every word because i was a kid... I got a little older, and a started asking questions.... My parents told me that i simply must have faith, my local pastor..... told me id burn in hell if i continued asking question.... Now i was about 15, and i had a fascination with science, particularly evolution and pre-history. So much so, that i wanted to see what the bible said about how these wonderful creatures came to be..... when i finally completed reading the bible cover to cover, i was confused.... there where no dinosaurs mentioned.... nothing about animals changing over time.... Then i started thinking.... and thinking.... (fast forward to about a week ago, i am 22 now), One thing is keeping me from just saying "screw it, i'm atheist!!!".... The fear that if i'm wrong, i'm going to go to hell..... it was scary. Evil_monster
So now im on youtube killing time, when i see a video about Hell. So i click on it..... I was laughing at the end at just how absurd the idea of hell is to me now.... the video explained just why hell is just so stupid a concept.... And that night.... for the first night ever i didn't pray to god. And i couldn't be happier about it.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 8 users Like ResistenceXD0001's post
16-02-2015, 10:28 AM
RE: Hello. And why i gave up on religion.
Welcome to TTA.

Good to see that gradual build up of Resistance.

Thumbsup

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
16-02-2015, 11:29 AM (This post was last modified: 16-02-2015 08:01 PM by goodwithoutgod.)
Welcome, make yourself at home, if you have any questions or have some residual doubt lingering in the back of your head, please feel free to contact me, or any member about it, start a thread, etc...enjoy the podcasts on the homepage, highly recommended. Welcome.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
16-02-2015, 07:16 PM
(16-02-2015 10:00 AM)ResistenceXD0001 Wrote:  Hello, my name is ResistenceXD0001, and i am glad to be a part of the atheist community. Cool

I was born into a Methodist household, and although they weren't extremely religious, i was taught the basic kids stories in the bible (noahs ark, parting the red sea, adam and eve EcT....) .... And i believed every word because i was a kid... I got a little older, and a started asking questions.... My parents told me that i simply must have faith, my local pastor..... told me id burn in hell if i continued asking question.... Now i was about 15, and i had a fascination with science, particularly evolution and pre-history. So much so, that i wanted to see what the bible said about how these wonderful creatures came to be..... when i finally completed reading the bible cover to cover, i was confused.... there where no dinosaurs mentioned.... nothing about animals changing over time.... Then i started thinking.... and thinking.... (fast forward to about a week ago, i am 22 now), One thing is keeping me from just saying "screw it, i'm atheist!!!".... The fear that if i'm wrong, i'm going to go to hell..... it was scary. Evil_monster
So now im on youtube killing time, when i see a video about Hell. So i click on it..... I was laughing at the end at just how absurd the idea of hell is to me now.... the video explained just why hell is just so stupid a concept.... And that night.... for the first night ever i didn't pray to god. And i couldn't be happier about it.

Did you give up on religion, gods or both?
Just curious.Thumbsup
16-02-2015, 07:22 PM
Welcome Smile

"A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything" - Friedrich Nietzsche
16-02-2015, 07:37 PM
[Image: Welcome-12-june_zpsc8b9a7e4.gif]
16-02-2015, 07:49 PM
Welcome - keep laughing.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
16-02-2015, 08:25 PM
(16-02-2015 07:16 PM)RogueWarrior Wrote:  
(16-02-2015 10:00 AM)ResistenceXD0001 Wrote:  Hello, my name is ResistenceXD0001, and i am glad to be a part of the atheist community. Cool

Did you give up on religion, gods or both?
Just curious.Thumbsup

Religion in general.... because most of them are pretty much the same, with different names, and slightly tweaked morals. And as an Atheist, i reject the idea of a god, without saying bluntly that he doesent exist. Laugh out load
16-02-2015, 09:22 PM
(16-02-2015 08:25 PM)ResistenceXD0001 Wrote:  
(16-02-2015 07:16 PM)RogueWarrior Wrote:  Did you give up on religion, gods or both?
Just curious.Thumbsup

Religion in general.... because most of them are pretty much the same, with different names, and slightly tweaked morals. And as an Atheist, i reject the idea of a god, without saying bluntly that he doesent exist. Laugh out load

Maybe this will help cut the emotional string.

Pascal’s Wager In Reverse:
Since God is all-merciful and forgiving it doesn’t matter if you believe in him or not he’s much more understanding than he gets credit for. When you show up he’ll say hello and show you in. And if there isn’t a god then you saved yourself from a lifetime of genuflecting, feeling guilty and struggling with cognative dissonance. Big Grin

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
16-02-2015, 09:49 PM
I'm glad you no longer have to live with the fear of possibly being sent to Hell! Shy
Though I heard, somewhere, that Nebraska was worse! Confused
Welcome! Tongue

[+] 1 user Likes TheGulegon's post