Hello Atheists

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-07-2012, 06:54 PM (This post was last modified: 31-07-2012 06:59 PM by FSM_scot.)
RE: Hello Atheists
Even if there are no more disagreements it may be worth it as there are legit responses to the OP buried amongst all the other non response posts. a split would clear the thread up.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-07-2012, 07:20 PM
(31-07-2012 06:54 PM)FSM_scot Wrote:  Even if there are no more disagreements it may be worth it as there are legit responses to the OP buried amongst all the other non response posts. a split would clear the thread up.

Imo, I don't think they're coming back, anyway Undecided

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
[+] 2 users Like aurora's post
31-07-2012, 07:47 PM
(30-07-2012 09:18 PM)The Only Christian Here Wrote:  As I have clearly stated by my choice of username I am a Christian. I live in Celebration Florida with my husband and baby boy. We attend a church here in town and serve in our community. You're probably wondering what I'm doing on an Atheist website. First of all I'm not here because I'm trying to convert people. I assume everyone here is as firm in their beliefs as I am. I just have a couple questions. First of all, why does Atheism even exist? It seems like the absence of a belief in God would mean absence of religion and Atheism appears to be a religion, correct me if I'm wrong. Also, why do Atheists feel the need to disprove the existence of God? Since you don't believe in God why not just put the thought out of your mind, why spend time and energy thinking of ways to prove He doesn't exist? I ask these questions with innocent intentions. I'm comfortable with people asking me about my beliefs and hope you feel the same way. I'm only curious and not looking for a fight.

Geesh, there I stay away for a day and what do I find. An exploded thread.

Only Christian, I apologize for the deluge of posts that are less than welcoming.

There is nothing wrong with trying to understand something, and your post sounds like you are sincerely trying to do so. I much appreciate that and wish all religious people were like you.

I do think that your questions were answered and then some.

I have only read the beginning and the end of the thread and will go back and read the rest, but I didn't want to spend the time without giving you some reassurance and encouraging you to ask as many questions as you like. I will never stand in the way of any inquisitive mind, be it a Christian or Atheist or whatever.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
31-07-2012, 08:15 PM
Ok, I too think this thread should be split.

Much of it totally irrelevant to the OP and s/he is likely wondering what hornit's nest they stepped into.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
31-07-2012, 10:30 PM
Yeah, I agree with the splitting too.
01-08-2012, 05:18 PM
The fuck? How did a single post from a Christian devolve into a beatdown of an anti-theist? We may need some collective introspection here. I'm not an anti-theist myself, but I sure as hell appreciate their activism so the fundies don't see us as just so many pussies they can legislatively push around.

(31-07-2012 07:56 AM)Red Celt Wrote:  One day, there will be an atheist community that doesn't have theists buzzing around it, like wasps around a jar of jam. I mean... how many churches or biblical groups are repeatedly visited by atheists? Theists can have atheist-free meeting places, so why the fuck can't we be offered the same courtesy?

Why you wanna take my toys away?

[Image: 280sw0yu335.gif]

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 5 users Like GirlyMan's post
02-08-2012, 04:04 AM
This seems like one of those threads in which the OP makes one post and never returns. Drinking Beverage The OP hasn't been online since he opened this thread and therefore probably never read any of the replies.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Vosur's post
02-08-2012, 04:20 AM
Form an orderly queue as you offer your apologies. I'd suggest chocolates and flowers, but I found out the other week that I have diabetes, so just the flowers, I guess. Something red, perhaps... carnations, I think.

I dunno... atheists today, inexperienced with trolling Christians asking unfriendly questions... tsk! Back in my day, I tells ya... we would never have fallen for the "I'm a mom from Remotesville, Florida, and I just wanted to ask you... what are you atheists for?" opening line.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-08-2012, 02:46 PM
No one needs to apologize to you Celt, whether right or wrong you are expecting too much. Sincere or not the OP did not suggest that they were here for any bad reason. You're being confused by focusing too much on your internet experiences. It's perfectly possible that this was a person genuinely asking to learn about something, and the proper response is to answer that question. What is your goal in acting the way that you do?

Accusing someone of the worst and demanding that it's the only way to deal with such situations is a trap. There are people in the world who are not completely certain of their opinions, and sincere or not when they go asking people of a different opinion questions the answers they get back matter. If the person is truly interested in an answer they will be surprised and possibly accept that answer as better informed than what they heard from others. If they are really interested they can still be surprised that what they get back is something besides screaming and whining. Being reactionary answers those questions exactly how the person is hoping that they will be answered.

What's your goal in life? If it's to learn then try to focus on helping others learn rather than simply saving your own time. If you do not wish to lend a hand to someone asking something (genuinely or not). Then simply do not respond. There was no question of you specifically. I was never trying to pound on you with a group I was trying to give you some important information. Sorry that I didn't IM you with my comments, but since we are at this point I'd rather the final message be something worth reading.

I apologize that you felt the need to get defensive and that this thread blew way out of proportion, but if you start out with a determined answer you will get the effect you expect If you would rather run into christins who surprise you and are better people then give them the chance.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
[+] 1 user Likes Lilith Pride's post
02-08-2012, 02:52 PM
(02-08-2012 04:04 AM)Vosur Wrote:  This seems like one of those threads in which the OP makes one post and never returns. Drinking Beverage The OP hasn't been online since he opened this thread and therefore probably never read any of the replies.

I mean... would you?

Just because she hasn't logged back in doesn't mean she hasn't read this disaster. After all, almost all of our forums can be accessed without logging in.

[Image: RHcn6pd.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post