Hello Atheists

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-07-2012, 09:18 PM
Lightbulb Hello Atheists
As I have clearly stated by my choice of username I am a Christian. I live in Celebration Florida with my husband and baby boy. We attend a church here in town and serve in our community. You're probably wondering what I'm doing on an Atheist website. First of all I'm not here because I'm trying to convert people. I assume everyone here is as firm in their beliefs as I am. I just have a couple questions. First of all, why does Atheism even exist? It seems like the absence of a belief in God would mean absence of religion and Atheism appears to be a religion, correct me if I'm wrong. Also, why do Atheists feel the need to disprove the existence of God? Since you don't believe in God why not just put the thought out of your mind, why spend time and energy thinking of ways to prove He doesn't exist? I ask these questions with innocent intentions. I'm comfortable with people asking me about my beliefs and hope you feel the same way. I'm only curious and not looking for a fight.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes The Only Christian Here's post
31-07-2012, 07:14 AM (This post was last modified: 31-07-2012 07:21 AM by FSM_scot.)
RE: Hello Atheists
Welcome to the forum. You are actually not the only Christian here. We have a few christians here. aswell as people of other faiths. One of the members of the forum team is a Christian. Big Grin

Atheism isn't a religion. The only belief all atheists have in common for certain is lack of beleif in a god/gods.

I cant speak for every atheists but Atheism exists in my opinion due to lack of evidence for any kind of higher power. The idea that there is a magical alien controlling everything just sounds ridiculous. I fit it in the same catagory of Santa claus and the tooth fairy. There's books, eye witness accounts, the same evidence for them as there is for a god. but we still tell our kids they aren't real, to me it's all the same.

Not all atheists try to disprove god, some do yes but not all.

I hope this helps answer your questions. Feel free to stick around we have a great community here aswell as being one of the more tolerant atheist forums.Smile

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes FSM_scot's post
31-07-2012, 07:39 AM
(31-07-2012 07:14 AM)FSM_scot Wrote:  Welcome to the forum. You are actually not the only Christian here. We have a few christians here. aswell as people of other faiths. One of the members of the forum team is a Christian. Big Grin

The "forum team"? What is that?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
31-07-2012, 07:45 AM
Welcome so-called Only Christian Here Smile

Atheism exists mainly as a reaction IMO. Many of us here (including myself) have felt the pain of theism, in particular Christianity, as an intrusive and invasive presence in our lives. As such, even though belief in God is lacking, the emphasis for me is more on making connections to others who also do not believe, and understanding the background to Christianity. We're not hunkered down planning what to do with the Christians once our plan for installing Satan as ruler of the world is in effect. Then again, you wouldn't expect me to tell you, would you Wink
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
31-07-2012, 07:47 AM
(31-07-2012 07:39 AM)Red Celt Wrote:  The "forum team"? What is that?

Dark rituals take up too much time and it gets chaotic, so we drew up a roster. KC has to wear a ball gag and be spanked when it's his turn, seeing as the Dark Lord doesn't accept his prayers...
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
31-07-2012, 07:50 AM
Welcome aboard.

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
31-07-2012, 07:56 AM
(30-07-2012 09:18 PM)The Only Christian Here Wrote:  As I have clearly stated by my choice of username I am a Christian. I live in Celebration Florida with my husband and baby boy. We attend a church here in town and serve in our community. You're probably wondering what I'm doing on an Atheist website.

It might be worth your time for you to ask yourself the same question.

One day, there will be an atheist community that doesn't have theists buzzing around it, like wasps around a jar of jam. I mean... how many churches or biblical groups are repeatedly visited by atheists? Theists can have atheist-free meeting places, so why the fuck can't we be offered the same courtesy?

(30-07-2012 09:18 PM)The Only Christian Here Wrote:  First of all, why does Atheism even exist? It seems like the absence of a belief in God would mean absence of religion and Atheism appears to be a religion, correct me if I'm wrong.

Atheism (with a capital A)? It's a lack of belief, or the belief in a lack of gods. It exists because it is our natural state, at birth. Atheism isn't a religion, nor does it come close (in any way, shape or form) to being a religion. It is common practice (for those in a debate) to claim that your opponents suffer from the same "problem" as you. We're members of a religion? Why... why... so are you! Which is really just some very bad thinking. And it doesn't win you the debate.

(30-07-2012 09:18 PM)The Only Christian Here Wrote:  Also, why do Atheists feel the need to disprove the existence of God? Since you don't believe in God why not just put the thought out of your mind, why spend time and energy thinking of ways to prove He doesn't exist? I ask these questions with innocent intentions. I'm comfortable with people asking me about my beliefs and hope you feel the same way.

Put it out of our mind? Are you fucking serious?

Look, if your religion existed between you and your god(s) in the comfort and privacy of your own home... we could all pack up our bags and get on with our lives without ever needing to mention our lack of beliefs. Religion (like your sex life) should be a private thing. When other people have to endure it... well, then those people have a right to protest.

As an example (and the list is much bigger), if Christians would shut the fuck up about stem-cell research, abortions, contraceptives, creation theory, religious schools and (in the USA) stay the fuck away from politicians, trying to influence policies... or trying to claim that ethics didn't exist before the bible... I wouldn't feel the need to congregate with other atheists.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 11 users Like Red Celt's post
31-07-2012, 08:00 AM
(31-07-2012 07:56 AM)Red Celt Wrote:  
(30-07-2012 09:18 PM)The Only Christian Here Wrote:  As I have clearly stated by my choice of username I am a Christian. I live in Celebration Florida with my husband and baby boy. We attend a church here in town and serve in our community. You're probably wondering what I'm doing on an Atheist website.

It might be worth your time for you to ask yourself the same question.

One day, there will be an atheist community that doesn't have theists buzzing around it, like wasps around a jar of jam. I mean... how many churches or biblical groups are repeatedly visited by atheists? Theists can have atheist-free meeting places, so why the fuck can't we be offered the same courtesy?

(30-07-2012 09:18 PM)The Only Christian Here Wrote:  First of all, why does Atheism even exist? It seems like the absence of a belief in God would mean absence of religion and Atheism appears to be a religion, correct me if I'm wrong.

Atheism (with a capital A)? It's a lack of belief, or the belief in a lack of gods. It exists because it is our natural state, at birth. Atheism isn't a religion, nor does it come close (in any way, shape or form) to being a religion. It is common practice (for those in a debate) to claim that your opponents suffer from the same "problem" as you. We're members of a religion? Why... why... so are you! Which is really just some very bad thinking. And it doesn't win you the debate.

(30-07-2012 09:18 PM)The Only Christian Here Wrote:  Also, why do Atheists feel the need to disprove the existence of God? Since you don't believe in God why not just put the thought out of your mind, why spend time and energy thinking of ways to prove He doesn't exist? I ask these questions with innocent intentions. I'm comfortable with people asking me about my beliefs and hope you feel the same way.

Put it out of our mind? Are you fucking serious?

Look, if your religion existed between you and your god(s) in the comfort and privacy of your own home... we could all pack up our bags and get on with our lives without ever needing to mention our lack of beliefs. Religion (like your sex life) should be a private thing. When other people have to endure it... well, then those people have a right to protest.

As an example (and the list is much bigger), if Christians would shut the fuck up about stem-cell research, abortions, contraceptives, creation theory, religious schools and (in the USA) stay the fuck away from politicians, trying to influence policies... or trying to claim that ethics didn't exist before the bible... I wouldn't feel the need to congregate with other atheists.

Couldn't have done a better job.

History, I believe, furnishes no example of a priest-ridden people maintaining a
free civil government. This marks the lowest grade of ignorance, of which their
political as well as religious leaders will always avail themselves for their
own purpose. ~ Thomas Jefferson
[+] 2 users Like N.E.OhioAtheist's post
31-07-2012, 08:04 AM
With that I say welcome. You'll need a tough skin to be here.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
[+] 1 user Likes fstratzero's post
31-07-2012, 08:12 AM
(30-07-2012 09:18 PM)The Only Christian Here Wrote:  As I have clearly stated by my choice of username I am a Christian. I live in Celebration Florida with my husband and baby boy. We attend a church here in town and serve in our community.

First, welcome!

Hope you stick around. Christians are a rarity around these parts.

Quote:You're probably wondering what I'm doing on an Atheist website. First of all I'm not here because I'm trying to convert people. I assume everyone here is as firm in their beliefs as I am.

This is a good start. Most don't really take kindly to proselytizing.

Quote:I just have a couple questions. First of all, why does Atheism even exist? It seems like the absence of a belief in God would mean absence of religion and Atheism appears to be a religion, correct me if I'm wrong.

A lack of doesn't require a substance.

If you have a glass that is filled with water, it has water in it in. If it's empty it's not "not filled with water". It's simply empty. The glass could hold anything; however, if it's empty, it's empty. No substance required.

Atheism isn't a religion. It's a collective thought process that believes a glass is empty; not missing water.

Quote:Also, why do Atheists feel the need to disprove the existence of God? Since you don't believe in God why not just put the thought out of your mind, why spend time and energy thinking of ways to prove He doesn't exist? I ask these questions with innocent intentions. I'm comfortable with people asking me about my beliefs and hope you feel the same way. I'm only curious and not looking for a fight.

Atheists usually come from a Christian background and are usually bombarded with Christianity on a daily basis. The need to disprove it is because it is in their everyday life and is not ignorable. If a Christian believes in Christianity, the thought process is tangible and therefore in existence, even if the atheists doesn't believe in it. It's a fight to disprove a perceived delusion; not the existence of God.

[Image: vjp09.gif]
[+] 4 users Like kingschosen's post