Hello Atheists

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-07-2012, 08:20 AM
RE: Hello Atheists
(31-07-2012 07:56 AM)Red Celt Wrote:  It might be worth your time for you to ask yourself the same question.

One day, there will be an atheist community that doesn't have theists buzzing around it, like wasps around a jar of jam. I mean... how many churches or biblical groups are repeatedly visited by atheists? Theists can have atheist-free meeting places, so why the fuck can't we be offered the same courtesy?

Gotta disagree with you here. I'd rather talk to them. Being all insular, you stay over there and I'll stay over here, is a recipe for a lack of understanding.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like morondog's post
31-07-2012, 08:27 AM
(31-07-2012 08:20 AM)morondog Wrote:  Gotta disagree with you here. I'd rather talk to them. Being all insular, you stay over there and I'll stay over here, is a recipe for a lack of understanding.

Is there anyone here who does not know what theists think of atheists? Anybody with no personal experience whatsoever of non-atheists? I'd be willing to wager that none of us are insular or lack understanding about such things.

Else we wouldn't feel the need to talk about it.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
31-07-2012, 08:27 AM
(30-07-2012 09:18 PM)The Only Christian Here Wrote:  As I have clearly stated by my choice of username I am a Christian. I live in Celebration Florida with my husband and baby boy. We attend a church here in town and serve in our community. You're probably wondering what I'm doing on an Atheist website. First of all I'm not here because I'm trying to convert people. I assume everyone here is as firm in their beliefs as I am. I just have a couple questions. First of all, why does Atheism even exist? It seems like the absence of a belief in God would mean absence of religion and Atheism appears to be a religion, correct me if I'm wrong. Also, why do Atheists feel the need to disprove the existence of God? Since you don't believe in God why not just put the thought out of your mind, why spend time and energy thinking of ways to prove He doesn't exist? I ask these questions with innocent intentions. I'm comfortable with people asking me about my beliefs and hope you feel the same way. I'm only curious and not looking for a fight.

I don't believe in the existence of any gods because there is not only no evidence of any, but the evidence in the universe points to a completely naturalistic explanation.

To be a religion, a belief system needs to be based on faith in some supernatural being or force. Atheism is the absence of those beliefs.

Atheists don't need to disprove the existence of God; the logical burden of proof is on those who claim that God exists. Atheists respond to the arguments put forth by theists.

I suspect that your religious beliefs, if examined, would prove to be inconsistent and unsupported by evidence. You are welcome to describe them.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
31-07-2012, 08:29 AM
(31-07-2012 07:39 AM)Red Celt Wrote:  
(31-07-2012 07:14 AM)FSM_scot Wrote:  Welcome to the forum. You are actually not the only Christian here. We have a few christians here. aswell as people of other faiths. One of the members of the forum team is a Christian. Big Grin

The "forum team"? What is that?

Contrary to popular belief, this forum is not magic. There are actual people doing actual technical work to keep it running.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
31-07-2012, 08:36 AM
(31-07-2012 08:29 AM)Chas Wrote:  Contrary to popular belief, this forum is not magic. There are actual people doing actual technical work to keep it running.

And one of those people is a Christian? Am I the only person to find that ridiculous?
31-07-2012, 08:45 AM
(31-07-2012 08:27 AM)Red Celt Wrote:  
(31-07-2012 08:20 AM)morondog Wrote:  Gotta disagree with you here. I'd rather talk to them. Being all insular, you stay over there and I'll stay over here, is a recipe for a lack of understanding.

Is there anyone here who does not know what theists think of atheists? Anybody with no personal experience whatsoever of non-atheists? I'd be willing to wager that none of us are insular or lack understanding about such things.

Else we wouldn't feel the need to talk about it.

Pretty sure the forum disagrees.

[Image: vjp09.gif]
31-07-2012, 08:58 AM
(31-07-2012 08:27 AM)Red Celt Wrote:  

The insular comment is related to the attitude of "this forum is for *atheists* only". It's not about us understanding Christianity or whatever other religion, it's about them understanding us.
31-07-2012, 09:03 AM
(31-07-2012 08:45 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Pretty sure the forum disagrees.

You're linking a thread that you started in order to justify the need for such threads? Circular logic, much? Dodgy
31-07-2012, 09:09 AM
(31-07-2012 09:03 AM)Red Celt Wrote:  
(31-07-2012 08:45 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Pretty sure the forum disagrees.

You're linking a thread that you started in order to justify the need for such threads? Circular logic, much? Dodgy

No.

Besides the picture thread, the intro thread, and a game thread, it is the longest running and largest thread on the forum. It is 4X larger than the nearest thread that is associated with atheism and theism.

Also, the Atheism and Theism forum is by far the largest and most popular forum with threads that have hundreds of replies.

Your claim does not back the forum's data.

[Image: vjp09.gif]
31-07-2012, 09:10 AM
(31-07-2012 08:58 AM)morondog Wrote:  The insular comment is related to the attitude of "this forum is for *atheists* only". It's not about us understanding Christianity or whatever other religion, it's about them understanding us.

Funnily enough, KC takes the opposite approach with his "ask a theist" thread provided as evidence. He's made 3795 posts, so far (3705 of which seem to be photos of his wife). Just how many questions does it take to understand the *lack* of a belief that someone has?

I get that he's popular, but it's nothing other than bizarre that he's an admin on this forum. When someone does something, they always have a motive for their actions. I'm curious to know what KC's motives are... and how he justifies such an active role in an atheist forum to his church friends.

But perhaps that's just me.
[+] 1 user Likes Red Celt's post