Hello Atheists

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-07-2012, 12:06 PM
RE: Hello Atheists
(31-07-2012 12:04 PM)Red Celt Wrote:  
(31-07-2012 11:58 AM)Lilith Pride Wrote:  If someone is posting a question and not trying to force anything what exactly is wrong?

Lilith, re-read what the OP said. It wasn't polite. It might have been worded politely, but the intent sure as hell wasn't.

I think you're wrong there. It may have been ignorant, but it was with aim to fix that. At least that's what she said and she hasn't given us any reason to disbelieve her.

But it wasn't rude.

Godzilla Kitten, Directed by J.J. Abrams
[Image: Kineoprojectfinished3_zps79916ea4.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-07-2012, 12:14 PM (This post was last modified: 31-07-2012 12:20 PM by Lilith Pride.)
As a transsexual I don't mind at all when someone asks me "couldn't you just live as a male? It would be so much easier." Yes it sometimes hurts that people say things like this but I don't get aggressive with them. Understand that when someone really doesn't know about the topic they will not approach it in exactly the way you want it to be approached. She has suggested some things that are a bit offensive, just like the person in the 50's who asks you how you could marry a black woman (in different terms =p). A lot of offensive statements are made out of lack of knowledge. Due to this, I love when people come askng questions. They may not have asked it in a way that made you happy, but them asking this means they might learn what they said wrong. Just remember that not every christian shares a database of information on topics. The reason we might often explain things over and over is because we are explaining them to multiple people. It might sound like a silly idea to you, but if this woman in florida finds out more of what we really feel, then that's one less woman in florida who completely misses the point. She came to learn a bit from the people who actually should be answering her questions so I would definitely like her to ask.

I'm a trans activist so I answer plenty of worse questions. Please understand that not everyone who wants an answer will know how to ask the question.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
[+] 5 users Like Lilith Pride's post
31-07-2012, 12:21 PM
OK, I just re-read the post that you described as rude. In what way was it rude? Because I said "fuck/fucking" a few times? That expresses that I'm passionate about what I'm saying. Re-read it, and blank "fuck/fucking" each time you encounter them... and try and tell me that my post was rude.

It wasn't. It was expressive.

If you find the word "fuck" to be rude, then you and I have very different world-views on that matter... and my world-view involves rationality and logic.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
31-07-2012, 12:26 PM
In your first post the issue was this

"One day, there will be an atheist community that doesn't have theists buzzing around it, like wasps around a jar of jam. I mean... how many churches or biblical groups are repeatedly visited by atheists? Theists can have atheist-free meeting places, so why the fuck can't we be offered the same courtesy"

The reason so many of us piled up on you was your later messages about all christians and your agressive complaints about KC.

You did indeed answer her questions, but when opening it with why are you here? It will definitely be viewed as an angry post.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
[+] 5 users Like Lilith Pride's post
31-07-2012, 12:32 PM
Jesus-on-a-bike.

My opinions are my own. If you don't share them, feel free not to share them. I'll do the exact same thing for you. That sounds like a good plan, right? I mean... we're allowed to think on The Thinking Atheist, aren't we? But... having thought, we're not allowed to share those thoughts if certain people don't agree with them? Or find them rude?

I'm not a sheep. If you don't like my opinions, don't read them.

TYVM
31-07-2012, 12:34 PM
Just to add to that, fuck & associated words don't bother me but they bother a lot of Christians. For a first post to someone who's probably nervous...
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
31-07-2012, 12:36 PM
(31-07-2012 12:32 PM)Red Celt Wrote:  Jesus-on-a-bike.

My opinions are my own. If you don't share them, feel free not to share them. I'll do the exact same thing for you. That sounds like a good plan, right? I mean... we're allowed to think on The Thinking Atheist, aren't we? But... having thought, we're not allowed to share those thoughts if certain people don't agree with them? Or find them rude?

I'm not a sheep. If you don't like my opinions, don't read them.

TYVM

You're *allowed* to say what you like. We're *allowed* to reply. Or is it that if we don't agree we should shut up? Jesus on a bike, take some criticism on the chin why don't you.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
31-07-2012, 12:39 PM
(31-07-2012 12:34 PM)morondog Wrote:  Just to add to that, fuck & associated words don't bother me but they bother a lot of Christians. For a first post to someone who's probably nervous...

But that is their irrationality, not mine. If you met someone who found the word "hello" offensive (because it contained "hell") would you go out of your way not to say it in their presence, or would you think "get a grip" and avoid self-censorship?
31-07-2012, 12:40 PM
(31-07-2012 12:36 PM)morondog Wrote:  You're *allowed* to say what you like. We're *allowed* to reply. Or is it that if we don't agree we should shut up? Jesus on a bike, take some criticism on the chin why don't you.

The criticism is unwarranted. I'm defending myself. Don't like to see me defend myself? Don't offer ridiculous claims about me.
31-07-2012, 12:44 PM
(31-07-2012 12:40 PM)Red Celt Wrote:  
(31-07-2012 12:36 PM)morondog Wrote:  You're *allowed* to say what you like. We're *allowed* to reply. Or is it that if we don't agree we should shut up? Jesus on a bike, take some criticism on the chin why don't you.

The criticism is unwarranted. I'm defending myself. Don't like to see me defend myself? Don't offer ridiculous claims about me.

Fair point. Just don't lose it Wink Bein' atheists and all there tends to be a bit of a feeding frenzy...