Hello Atheists

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-07-2012, 12:48 PM
RE: Hello Atheists
(31-07-2012 12:44 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(31-07-2012 12:40 PM)Red Celt Wrote:  The criticism is unwarranted. I'm defending myself. Don't like to see me defend myself? Don't offer ridiculous claims about me.

Fair point. Just don't lose it Wink Bein' atheists and all there tends to be a bit of a feeding frenzy...

I just find it more than a little bit ridiculous. If we need to be very polite to newly-arriving Christians, keep in mind that I, too, am a noob in here. Rather than politely telling me that, so I'll know better for future encounters, Erxom-I-forget-how-to-spell-his-name unleashes that kind of shit storm at me? He can fuck right off, dear sir.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-07-2012, 12:54 PM
(31-07-2012 12:39 PM)Red Celt Wrote:  
(31-07-2012 12:34 PM)morondog Wrote:  Just to add to that, fuck & associated words don't bother me but they bother a lot of Christians. For a first post to someone who's probably nervous...

But that is their irrationality, not mine. If you met someone who found the word "hello" offensive (because it contained "hell") would you go out of your way not to say it in their presence, or would you think "get a grip" and avoid self-censorship?

On this point, if I knew ahead of time, and if I wanted to talk to them then yes, I would apply self censorship. Would you talk to your boss like that? I imagine not, unless he's your mate and you've known him for a while. So self censorship is not exactly limiting your freedom.

If on the other hand some random *told me* not to swear at them, I'd probably go out of my way to do so at every opportunity Big Grin Also if I didn't feel it important to soothe their feelings then no, I wouldn't waste my time. But if I did, then I would.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
31-07-2012, 12:59 PM
(31-07-2012 12:40 PM)Red Celt Wrote:  
(31-07-2012 12:36 PM)morondog Wrote:  You're *allowed* to say what you like. We're *allowed* to reply. Or is it that if we don't agree we should shut up? Jesus on a bike, take some criticism on the chin why don't you.

The criticism is unwarranted. I'm defending myself. Don't like to see me defend myself? Don't offer ridiculous claims about me.

Maybe you should read your own words and consider them.

You openly criticized me, questioned my intentions, and made fun of me without any prior agitation from me. Your criticisms were unwarranted, yet you felt compelled to share them.

Contrary to me, the criticisms of you do have warrant, but you feel as if you should be immune to them.

It's just strangely hypocritical and ironic.

[Image: vjp09.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
31-07-2012, 01:00 PM
It's a difficult balance. Erx... look he can go off the handle every now and then, but he's a good guy. And the same, from what I've seen, can be said about you Wink Now, let's all sing Kumbaya.... Big Grin
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
31-07-2012, 01:09 PM
(31-07-2012 12:54 PM)morondog Wrote:  Would you talk to your boss like that? I imagine not, unless he's your mate and you've known him for a while.

Yes, I would. Any boss who was offended by the word "fuck" is no boss I'd want to work for... and if they sought to reprimand me, I'd be fascinated to hear the case for the prosecution. I'd logic their arse into the ground.

"Shag? Can I say shag?"

"How about bonk?"

"Copulate? Fornicate? Make the beast with two backs? Rumpy pumpy?

"None of the above? But boss, we work at a helpline for sexually-dysfunctional couples."

My ex sister-in-law would admonish me every time I exclaimed the word "Jesus". I'd get an instant "Language!" in response. I would have replied "Greek-Aramaic?" or "Hebrew?" if I could ever have been arsed to find out (and care enough to remember).

I've used "Jesus!" as a soft expletive my whole life. It's hard-wired in there. I'm not about to try and re-train my brain purely because of somebody else's superstitious beliefs. It really is their problem, not mine. Dodgy
31-07-2012, 01:15 PM
(31-07-2012 12:59 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  You openly criticized me, questioned my intentions, and made fun of me without any prior agitation from me. Your criticisms were unwarranted, yet you felt compelled to share them.

Two points, really:-

1. Quote me doing each of those things.
2. I already explained my background in dealing with Christians in an atheist venue.

And don't call me a hypocrite. I have many flaws, but hypocrisy isn't one of them.
31-07-2012, 01:26 PM
(31-07-2012 09:10 AM)Red Celt Wrote:  But perhaps that's just me.

It's just you.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
[+] 1 user Likes cheapthrillseaker's post
31-07-2012, 01:30 PM
(31-07-2012 01:26 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  It's just you.

I am in awe at your mind-reading powers and your ability to speak for everyone else. Very woo.
31-07-2012, 01:45 PM
... Still, if you had a reason to talk to one of those superstitious people infringing on your freedom, you agree that starting out by insulting them does not bode well for the future of the conversation? That's the *point* of insults. All that matters is how the recipient perceives them. So sure you can say 'well it's not reasonable for them to get worked up'... but if you want to talk to them with any level of success.... either you have to somehow change their attitude about insults or *temporarily* swallow your pride...

Of course I think the point of this thread derail is that you very definitely don't wanna talk to them Tongue
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
31-07-2012, 01:53 PM
(31-07-2012 01:45 PM)morondog Wrote:  Of course I think the point of this thread derail is that you very definitely don't wanna talk to them Tongue

Honestly, it isn't that. When someone introduces them self by saying that atheism is a religion... and that being an atheist is silly and pointless... my expectations for a reasoned discussion go out the window. I've spoken to lots of Christians that I've got on fine with... Christians who didn't start the conversation by (badly) prejudging me (and those like me).