Hello Everyone!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-01-2015, 10:47 PM
Hello Everyone!
Hello heathens and believers alike! I am a seventeen year old atheist living in the bible belt. I was raised a Christian, but never gave much thought to it. Then I went through a phase of sorts around nine or ten and went to church regularly and made an attempt at reading the bible. I not surprisingly didn't get pass Genesis being that ten year old me thought the bible was boring as hell. Somewhere around thirteen I realized that the Christian god was no more likely to exist than Allah, Vishnu, or Zeus. A few months thereafter I flirted with Bhuddism, which was an introduction of sorts to philosophy.
After toying with the idea of reincarnation for a little while, I rejected Bhuddism at around fifteen and after reading about free thought focused solely on reading about various philosophies.
Most of what happened from then to late 2013 in terms of my world view is somewhat fuzzy, possibly do to me being exposed to so much new information.
As such, I honestly don't remember when I started using the label atheist, but my best guess would be roughly around the last half of 2013, as I remember I started lurking on here shortly before Christmas, and was definitely calling myself an atheist during the Bill Nye-Ken Ham debate.
For most of 2014 I studied Christianity quite a bit. Read up on logical fallacies, on contradictions in the bible, on issues of free will, and all that other fascinating stuff.
In July I finally decided sign up, but promptly chickened out of making an introductory post. Then, mostly from school starting, I didn't lurk on here as much and the forum was pushed to the back of my mind.
The in-your-face religious propaganda that accompanies Christmas jostled my memory. I had a minor altercation with my mother, after I cautiously suggesting we skip church this year. My mother was visibly upset at the proposal, but I passed it off by saying I was indifferent about the whole thing. She tried to press me, but surprisingly my dad backed me up.
Cataclysm avoided, December came and went without much of a fuss.
All the crazy shit that has happened in the world this month has spurred me to start posting on here since I have no other people to vent to.
Hopefully my rambling wasn't too incoherent and there aren't many typos. It wasn't the easiest thing trying to put this all together.
All in all though, I think It's a pretty good start.

p.s.
I thoroughly enjoyed reading goodwithoutgod's debates with theists in the boxing ring before my hiatus. His knowledge about Christianity's history is quite comprehensive it seems.

(30-03-2015 08:47 PM)Colourcraze Wrote:  IT'S THE HOLY GHOST oooOOOOOOOOOOooooooo
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Russ's post
19-01-2015, 10:50 PM
RE: Hello Everyone!
Welcome to our community!

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

19-01-2015, 10:59 PM
Hello! Big Grin
19-01-2015, 11:40 PM
Welcome!
20-01-2015, 03:20 PM
Welcome! I am glad to have provided you with some things to ponder, or at least some entertaining assertions. I am humbled by your kind words. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. Thumbsup

Smile

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
20-01-2015, 03:24 PM
Be sure to barbecue kittens, record the NFL without their permission and rip the tags off of your mattress.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-01-2015, 03:32 PM
Welcome aboard. Smile

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
20-01-2015, 03:37 PM
(19-01-2015 10:47 PM)Russ Wrote:  Hello heathens and believers alike! I am a seventeen year old atheist living in the bible belt. I was raised a Christian, but never gave much thought to it. Then I went through a phase of sorts around nine or ten and went to church regularly and made an attempt at reading the bible. I not surprisingly didn't get pass Genesis being that ten year old me thought the bible was boring as hell. Somewhere around thirteen I realized that the Christian god was no more likely to exist than Allah, Vishnu, or Zeus. A few months thereafter I flirted with Bhuddism, which was an introduction of sorts to philosophy.
After toying with the idea of reincarnation for a little while, I rejected Bhuddism at around fifteen and after reading about free thought focused solely on reading about various philosophies.
Most of what happened from then to late 2013 in terms of my world view is somewhat fuzzy, possibly do to me being exposed to so much new information.
As such, I honestly don't remember when I started using the label atheist, but my best guess would be roughly around the last half of 2013, as I remember I started lurking on here shortly before Christmas, and was definitely calling myself an atheist during the Bill Nye-Ken Ham debate.
For most of 2014 I studied Christianity quite a bit. Read up on logical fallacies, on contradictions in the bible, on issues of free will, and all that other fascinating stuff.
In July I finally decided sign up, but promptly chickened out of making an introductory post. Then, mostly from school starting, I didn't lurk on here as much and the forum was pushed to the back of my mind.
The in-your-face religious propaganda that accompanies Christmas jostled my memory. I had a minor altercation with my mother, after I cautiously suggesting we skip church this year. My mother was visibly upset at the proposal, but I passed it off by saying I was indifferent about the whole thing. She tried to press me, but surprisingly my dad backed me up.
Cataclysm avoided, December came and went without much of a fuss.
All the crazy shit that has happened in the world this month has spurred me to start posting on here since I have no other people to vent to.
Hopefully my rambling wasn't too incoherent and there aren't many typos. It wasn't the easiest thing trying to put this all together.
All in all though, I think It's a pretty good start.

p.s.
I thoroughly enjoyed reading goodwithoutgod's debates with theists in the boxing ring before my hiatus. His knowledge about Christianity's history is quite comprehensive it seems.

Hi there. I look forward to hearing your opinions... Big Grin

"I don't mind being wrong...it's a time I get to learn something new..."
Me.
N.B: I routinely make edits to posts to correct grammar or spelling, or to restate a point more clearly. I only notify edits if they materially change meaning.
20-01-2015, 03:42 PM
welcome

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
20-01-2015, 03:43 PM
Guten Abend

[Image: RPYH95t.png]