Hello Everyone

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-02-2015, 11:36 AM
Hello Everyone
Hi Everyone,
I am currently reading Deconverted. After purchasing the book on my Kindle late last night I am already almost finished with it. I too am from Oklahoma and my story is very similar to Seth's. However, I have been fortunate to live in Chicago, and now in Salt Lake City. Seeing the craziness of the mormons firsthand here in Utah has made me realize the craziness of the Protestant Oklahomans is identical.

Both sit up on their pedestal and debate things with nothing to back it up except for "this is what we believe and thats how it is". Fortunately we don't have much longer before we leave Salt Lake City and move to the Dallas-Fort Worth area, which also means back to the bible belt.

I can definitely relate with the chapter where Seth felt alone after leaving religion. That is one thing I had growing up was a solid group of likeminded people to lean on when times were tough. Life is amazing right now, and I have absolutely no complaints. I have a great wife and a great family. My wife is also an atheist, but we're scared to even say that word as just like Seth's book states it sounds like a hiss, atttheeeisssst. We rather just ignore putting a label on ourselves and she enjoys Yoga on Sunday mornings while I enjoy time with our daughter.

I didn't grow up in a christian school, but I grew up in church camp every summer at Falls Creek, and it was just brutal. Falls Creek would give the documentary Jesus Camp a run for its money. It has to be the largest, most expensive church camp in America.

I started questioning beliefs towards the end of high school, but it has taken some time away from the bible belt to fully come to grips with everything. I guess I'd just like to find a likeminded community, and this is my first step along that road. Seth's description of what it was like to tell his parents he was an atheist sounds terrifying, and I would rather just coast without confrontation with the rest of my believing family.

Religion causes a very muddled world, thats for sure. I haven't been happier than for the past 2-3 years when I have completely rejected the beliefs I was firmly indoctrinated with growing up and instead to looking at the world in a secular sense. That was a lot of rambling, hope in made sense!! This looks like a great place to begin interacting with a likeminded community.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like AtheistDad's post
01-02-2015, 11:48 AM
RE: Hello Everyone
Hi, pleased to meet you. I'm sure you won't be alone here. Smile

"I don't mind being wrong...it's a time I get to learn something new..."
Me.
N.B: I routinely make edits to posts to correct grammar or spelling, or to restate a point more clearly. I only notify edits if they materially change meaning.
01-02-2015, 12:27 PM
Life is better without the thought of some invisible cretin looking judgmentally over your shoulder.

Life is to enjoy as best you can. It's not some spooky SAT exam...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
01-02-2015, 12:36 PM
(01-02-2015 11:36 AM)AtheistDad Wrote:  Hi Everyone,
I am currently reading Deconverted. After purchasing the book on my Kindle late last night I am already almost finished with it. I too am from Oklahoma and my story is very similar to Seth's. However, I have been fortunate to live in Chicago, and now in Salt Lake City. Seeing the craziness of the mormons firsthand here in Utah has made me realize the craziness of the Protestant Oklahomans is identical.

Both sit up on their pedestal and debate things with nothing to back it up except for "this is what we believe and thats how it is". Fortunately we don't have much longer before we leave Salt Lake City and move to the Dallas-Fort Worth area, which also means back to the bible belt.

I can definitely relate with the chapter where Seth felt alone after leaving religion. That is one thing I had growing up was a solid group of likeminded people to lean on when times were tough. Life is amazing right now, and I have absolutely no complaints. I have a great wife and a great family. My wife is also an atheist, but we're scared to even say that word as just like Seth's book states it sounds like a hiss, atttheeeisssst. We rather just ignore putting a label on ourselves and she enjoys Yoga on Sunday mornings while I enjoy time with our daughter.

I didn't grow up in a christian school, but I grew up in church camp every summer at Falls Creek, and it was just brutal. Falls Creek would give the documentary Jesus Camp a run for its money. It has to be the largest, most expensive church camp in America.

I started questioning beliefs towards the end of high school, but it has taken some time away from the bible belt to fully come to grips with everything. I guess I'd just like to find a likeminded community, and this is my first step along that road. Seth's description of what it was like to tell his parents he was an atheist sounds terrifying, and I would rather just coast without confrontation with the rest of my believing family.

Religion causes a very muddled world, thats for sure. I haven't been happier than for the past 2-3 years when I have completely rejected the beliefs I was firmly indoctrinated with growing up and instead to looking at the world in a secular sense. That was a lot of rambling, hope in made sense!! This looks like a great place to begin interacting with a likeminded community.

This place has kept me sane. It's hard to be surrounded by religious types and not want to go postal.

Welcome to our community.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

01-02-2015, 12:36 PM
Welcome aboard. Smile

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
01-02-2015, 01:19 PM
Welcome.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user