Hello Everyone!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-08-2015, 09:04 PM
Hello Everyone!
Hello everyone!

I'm a 22 year old college student that realized that are some... issues with the Bible about a year ago, and have been an atheist for about 3-4 months now. Unfortunately for the moment, I'm currently attending a relatively well know evangelical school (hint: we have a museum of the late Jerry Falwell...), and as I result, I personally know very few people that agree with me on the whole 'god doesn't exist' thing.

So, that being the case, I've figured that I until I meet some more agnostics/atheists, I should join an online community so I can have some civil discussions and vent every once in a while, at least until I get out of school.

But anyways, hello once again! It's been very encouraging to me to know that there are many communities set up for freethinkers and skeptics, since I am currently somewhat isolated from that crowd where I live.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Cozzymodo's post
15-08-2015, 09:11 PM
RE: Hello Everyone!
Welcome to TTA ...

... the home of freedom; the antidote to liberty.

Thumbsup

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
15-08-2015, 09:30 PM
My mother just retired as a department head (tenured professor) at an evangelical Baptist university, so I feel ya, buddy!

Welcome to TTA and the world of sanity.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
15-08-2015, 09:54 PM
Welcome Cozzy.

This is indeed a free thinking place. Beware though, we get all kinds of mental cases trolling us; religious zealots, blind fools, christians who are totally ignorant of the bible, conspiracy nut jobs.......

The regular members are lovely though. We don't care about sexual orientation, gender issue or any of that crap society clings to because of religion.

I hope you enjoy it.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
15-08-2015, 11:24 PM
(15-08-2015 09:04 PM)Cozzymodo Wrote:  Hello everyone!

I'm a 22 year old college student that realized that are some... issues with the Bible about a year ago, and have been an atheist for about 3-4 months now. Unfortunately for the moment, I'm currently attending a relatively well know evangelical school (hint: we have a museum of the late Jerry Falwell...), and as I result, I personally know very few people that agree with me on the whole 'god doesn't exist' thing.

So, that being the case, I've figured that I until I meet some more agnostics/atheists, I should join an online community so I can have some civil discussions and vent every once in a while, at least until I get out of school.

But anyways, hello once again! It's been very encouraging to me to know that there are many communities set up for freethinkers and skeptics, since I am currently somewhat isolated from that crowd where I live.

Since you're in bible school now, surrounded by people who are trained to bring you back into Christianity, you may need help in understanding why the NT doesn't hold water. Please feel free to send me a PM if you need some help untangling the pretty convincing "proof texts" that Christians can put forth to bolster their position on Jesus. I am a theist, but I can make a half-way decent argument against the NT.

Good luck to you
[+] 2 users Like Aliza's post
15-08-2015, 11:27 PM
Hello! Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes Peebothuhul's post
15-08-2015, 11:51 PM
Welcome Smile
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
16-08-2015, 01:41 AM
Hello!

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
16-08-2015, 08:08 AM

Welcome.

I highly recommend the podcasts on the home page, and there is a plethora of resources available here. If you have any questions, or wiggles of remaining doubt one way or another, please feel free to click my name, and send me a PM. Here are a few resources, including mine.

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...ce-Library

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...or-Dummies

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...-available

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...other-Look

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...rce-thread

Welcome aboard once again.

GWG

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
16-08-2015, 09:02 AM

Welcome !

"Dare to think!"
-Kant