Hello Everyone

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-03-2016, 10:49 PM
Hello Everyone
Hi everyone, just thought I'd do the polite thing and say hey in the introductory forum first. I'm a 29 year old guy who decided to go the whole way from undergrad through my doctorate, only to get confused for a student by older colleagues, and I've been enjoying some of Seth's podcasts while at work when writing up manuscripts or making tests. Some of them, like the Satanic Panic or Christian Radio Days really remind me of my time growing up as a Baptist, prior to leaving that faith. I'd love to say I had some grand reason for leaving it behind, but it was a series of smaller things that just snowballed; there's a long story there, but maybe that's more suited for Recovering from Religion? Suffice to say on the short version: Assistant Pastor did a Night of the Long Knives to get himself promoted on the membership rolls, purged things like the volunteer librarian and church library, and skipped the wedding rehearsal of my cousin to officiate a high school football game...and that was just part of him. There were contemporary vs. traditional worship wars, a woman wanting to burn books at a rummage sale, and being told that prayer wasn't as important as setting up finger foods.

This isn't my normal username I use in most places, though all of them are based off of the Dune books by Frank Herbert; it always tickled my interest that the Bene Gesserit were so adept at spreading their own religious superstitions across pretty much everywhere, even into the tribes of the Fremen of Arrakis. Plus the Litany Against Fear is something I've always felt to be a good way to calm down when stressed.

Quite frankly, the different username is also because I'd rather keep my posts here from being seen by the folks who normally are involved in my online life. I moderate on a mostly dead Dune board, but also on a reasonably active Catholic message board, whose members are proving...aggravating. (If I'm told "you can't be a Democrat and a Catholic" one more time... Laugh out load or more seriously, "You're almost 30 and single? That's God's way of saying you need to become a priest." No. Thank. You.) Plus, over on Facebook, even with filters, it's hard to discuss certain more secular topics without people chiming in and waging a Crusade; looking at you cousin's Baptist minister husband who is patently unable to discuss Christianity prior to the Great Awakening in America.

So thanks for welcoming me aboard (once the mods say I'm not a spambot). I definitely look forward to some great discussions, some silly ones, and not having people justify everything with God.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Shai Hulud's post
23-03-2016, 11:36 PM
RE: Hello Everyone
Welcome

So many cats, so few good recipes.
Find all posts by this user
23-03-2016, 11:38 PM
*waves* Big Grin

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
24-03-2016, 12:45 AM
Hello you, welcome.
24-03-2016, 02:07 AM
Hello! Big Grin
24-03-2016, 02:13 AM
Welcome!

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
24-03-2016, 02:21 AM
Yo and welcome to TTASmile

Marburg virus, Ebola, Rabies, HIV, Smallpox, Hantavirus, Dengue Fever all brought to you by god - who cares for us and loves us all Censored
24-03-2016, 03:14 AM
Hi Big Grin
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-03-2016, 05:14 AM
G'day mate.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
24-03-2016, 04:25 PM
Welcome, and may you steer your sandworm to victory.
[+] 2 users Like Clockwork's post