Hello Everyone

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-12-2016, 02:03 PM
Music Hello Everyone
Hi - I'm an atheist, brainwashed into religion from about the age of 9. I was skeptical about a lot of stuff in the bible and questioned the behavior of christians. I didn't agree with a lot of the things they taught, the judging, bigotry. It was a huge disappointment for me because it didn't reflect the morality I expected it should. Because of the fear and guilt religion instills in a child, it took me a long time to break away from it, it was a psychological process and in my case even took therapy.

When I went to college and studied philosophy, social and physical sciences, it opened up a whole new world and way of thinking for me. That's when I started to doubt the existence of god, become agnostic. I felt miserable when I was involved in religion, and ashamed of my involvement in it. I think that was my inborn moral compass telling me something is wrong, this isn't for you, but guilt and fear kept me enslaved. Even when I stopped going to church there was the terrible feelings of guilt. When I finally freed my mind from religion, and decided there is go god, it was like being let out of prison. I was a much happier person, it was a relief letting go of that garbage.

I have heard atheists ask why christians become so upset when they hear atheist. Christians are absolutely terrified of atheism and atheists, it's fear and that becomes anger, and kind of a desperation, it threatens their whole world. I felt that fear too. When I first began doubting the existence of god I had to rethink a lot of the indoctrinated dogma and it is a scary when you've been brought up that way.

I felt a lot of anger towards religion and christians. I'm still angry, but I try to tell myself that a lot of people involved in religion are just like I was, indoctrinated and brainwashed from childhood. You become an adult-child who even as an adult has to have someone there telling you what to do and what to think. You don't ask questions. You don't grow up. It affects you every time you try to make a decision in your life. I'm glad I got to grow up, just wish it hadn't taken so long and I regret the years I wasted being involved with religion. After I stopped attending church, someone asked me if I was worried it would affect my moral life if I didn't go to church. I told them I wondered about people who can't be moral without attending church. I try to feel some compassion for christians, but sometimes it's hard.

I've been an atheist and proud of it for about 20 years now. Just wanted to say hello.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Espace40's post
28-12-2016, 04:24 PM
RE: Hello Everyone
Welcome Smile

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
28-12-2016, 04:33 PM
Welcome!
28-12-2016, 05:56 PM
Welcome to TTA. Did you bring cookies? We're all out.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
28-12-2016, 06:53 PM
Welcome!
28-12-2016, 10:29 PM
Hello! Big Grin

Welcome to the forums!

(28-12-2016 02:03 PM)Espace40 Wrote:  .....Christians are absolutely terrified of atheism and atheists, it's fear and that becomes anger.....

Ah!

So they go down a darker path?

Fear leading to hate... hate leading to anger?

Tongue
[+] 1 user Likes Peebothuhul's post
28-12-2016, 10:47 PM
Hello!

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
28-12-2016, 10:53 PM
Greetings, friend.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
29-12-2016, 12:29 AM
(28-12-2016 10:29 PM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  Hello! Big Grin

Welcome to the forums!

(28-12-2016 02:03 PM)Espace40 Wrote:  .....Christians are absolutely terrified of atheism and atheists, it's fear and that becomes anger.....

Ah!

So they go down a darker path?

Fear leading to hate... hate leading to anger?

Tongue

Damnit, Peebothuhul, I was gonna make that joke!

Welcome to TTA, Espace. You sound like you'll fit right in. Smile

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
29-12-2016, 01:18 AM
Welcome!

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.