Hello Everyone :)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-10-2017, 07:05 AM
Hello Everyone :)
Hi There

I'm a relatively recent convert to atheism from Christianity, when i say recent i mean in the past few years as it took a very long time to disentangle myself from theistic faith to atheism.

I was raised as a Jehovah's Witness leaving the faith at 16, only to get involved with mainstream Christianity about 6 years later and for around 25 years was a devout believer. I was very winsome with my faith and during my time as a Christian was instrumental in the conversion of many to the faith, and gained many spiritual children (as it were), i prayed for many people and had words of knowledge etc (which later just turned out me being able to read people well) but it seemed very real at the time.

I was considered by the church as a lay preacher and often referred to by those closest to me as a peoples teacher possible down to my personable style . I often went talking at Christian unions at universities, schools and often other churches where i was invited to talk. Here i encountered on occasion atheists who would attend i became convinced over time that there was a certain unrealism to what i was teaching and believed, little by little i began to question what i was doing and at each point i looked closely it became more and more unreal and the nagging doubts became real issues.

Then i began to go on firstly Christian forums and for the first time faced real questions from atheists in a forum where i had no control over what was said, at first it made little difference, i had all the usual replies that a well versed Christian might give to queries, i began to ask myself how i would sound if i didn't believe in the first place. Time passed and slowly i began to really doubt that what i was saying was truthful and realised that in fact i was teaching and defending what i can only describe now as well versed, well thought out nonsense.

So here I am, firstly i would like to encourage atheists or non believers to actually keep up the challenging of theistic idea's and ideologies it certainly saved me.
So here i now am, not relying on an invisible, unfathomable god for my life, but am free to ask all the questions i want.. about anything, truly being free of dogma is freedom.

possibletarian

'Those who ask a lot of questions may seem stupid, but those who don't ask questions stay stupid'
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like possibletarian's post
26-10-2017, 07:16 AM
RE: Hello Everyone :)
(26-10-2017 07:05 AM)possibletarian Wrote:  So here I am, firstly i would like to encourage atheists or non believers to actually keep up the challenging of theistic idea's and ideologies it certainly saved me.

Welcome, and thanks for sharing your experiences. Not many people who are so publically committed to Christianity can give that all up.
26-10-2017, 07:16 AM
Welcome!
26-10-2017, 07:41 AM
(26-10-2017 07:16 AM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  
(26-10-2017 07:05 AM)possibletarian Wrote:  So here I am, firstly i would like to encourage atheists or non believers to actually keep up the challenging of theistic idea's and ideologies it certainly saved me.

Welcome, and thanks for sharing your experiences. Not many people who are so publically committed to Christianity can give that all up.

It's painful and costly for sure, but like all good things worth it.

'Those who ask a lot of questions may seem stupid, but those who don't ask questions stay stupid'
[+] 1 user Likes possibletarian's post
26-10-2017, 07:44 AM
Welcome aboard! Smile

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
26-10-2017, 08:22 AM
Hello! Big Grin
26-10-2017, 08:24 AM
Welcome to the forum family. I hope you like it here as much as I do!

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
26-10-2017, 08:27 AM
Welcome!

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
26-10-2017, 11:51 AM
It's okay to be just a plain ol' witness! Tongue

Welcome to TTA Shy

26-10-2017, 12:57 PM
Welcome!

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce