Hello From Oklahoma City

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-08-2017, 03:17 PM (This post was last modified: 17-08-2017 03:37 PM by Taddeusz.)
Hello From Oklahoma City
Hello,

I've considered myself an atheist since high school. However, until recently I've been more of a passive atheist. Lately I've wanted to become more active in my non-faith and seek out others that are like minded. I sometimes feel so alone in a city where there seems to be a church on every corner.

I came to my atheism while I was in high school. I had a couple friends that are atheists and I began to question the Presbyterian faith that I was raised in. It helped that I never considered my parents or my family as a whole to be very religious. While we went to church nearly every Sunday that's as far as my parents' faith seemed to go. It was never discussed any other time. So it didn't really feel like that huge of a leap to jump to atheism.

My parents, at least my mom, really started to get more religious when 9/11 happened. Since then she's really become an outspoken conservative. I'm now 43 and still have yet to really come out to my parents although I believe my wife has discussed it with them.

Speaking of my wife. There was a period during which I married her when I was actually on the fence about my non-faith. She's wonderful and I love her. She is a believer and has become a stress point since she wants to raise our two young children Christian. Up till now I've allowed it but when they get old enough to really understand I'm going to let them know what I believe and why.

Lately I've started to listen to The Thinking Atheist podcast as well as The Non Prophets. Listening to them has really let me know that I'm not really alone. Also planning on going to the atheist lunches that are in the area.

I'm happy that I have found this place.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Taddeusz's post
17-08-2017, 03:32 PM
RE: Hello From Oklahoma City
Hi from Ottawa Canada, I'm glad your here.

Welcome! Smile

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
17-08-2017, 03:39 PM
Hello! Big Grin
17-08-2017, 03:42 PM
G'day mate, and welcome to the forums. Smile

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
17-08-2017, 03:51 PM
Welcome to the forum family! I hope you like it here as much as I do.

The more I stick my foot out of the religion closet the braver I get. But I am in the Bible-girdle so I have to be careful on the when and where. Out to husband and grown child but not to siblings and elderly father. It would hurt my father more than it would help me. So I get it. My husband has come a long way in a relatively short time in accepting it.

Being from the big town I'm glad you have some live and in person support there. Here in Tinytown? Well, I'm sure glad to have this place!

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
[+] 1 user Likes outtathereligioncloset's post
17-08-2017, 04:37 PM
Welcome to TTA. Smile

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
17-08-2017, 07:52 PM
Howdy T.

17-08-2017, 08:41 PM
Welcome!

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
18-08-2017, 12:04 AM
Welcome, thanks for sharing Smile

They became more religious when 9/11 happened? That's like giving your security guards a raise after half the stuff in your warehouse gets stolen in a single night.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-08-2017, 07:21 AM
(18-08-2017 12:04 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  Welcome, thanks for sharing Smile

They became more religious when 9/11 happened? That's like giving your security guards a raise after half the stuff in your warehouse gets stolen in a single night.

From her perspective that stuff was always somewhere else. Never here on US soil. To my mom it was like the first volley in a religious war with Muslims. Her response was to increase her faith to counter the threat. It didn't help that my younger brother was in the Army and I was in the Navy on deployment at the time. We were actually on our tiger cruise heading back to the states when it happened. My dad was on board with me. They weren't sure we were going to be allowed to enter port even with all the family members aboard. There was actually a movie made about it with Hayden Panettiere and Bill Pullman called, in fact, Tiger Cruise.

So yeah, her response was to increase her religiosity in response to the opposite threat of religiosity from Islamists.