Hello. Happy to be here.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-11-2016, 01:20 AM
Hello. Happy to be here.
Hello TTA fan and forum members,
I followed the logic bread crumbs and came to atheism about 3 years ago, before that I was kind of agnostic...ish, if that makes sense. I think I was scared to take that final leap and say there is no god. But, I'm well past that now and have "denied the Holy Spirit" (gasp! unforgivable sin!) and the whole nine yards.
I am enjoying relearning everything that I missed out on during my homeschooled, ultra-right, conservative traditionalist Catholic upbringing, and have absolutely no regrets about leaving religion.
I'm a big fan of Seth's show and love hearing all the international stories and varied opinions that come out during it. Besides Seth I have some of the usual suspects to thank for helping me escape the mind prison of religion. Richard Dawkins, Christopher Hitchens, Julia Sweeney, Daniel Dennet, James Randi, and others. Perhaps even more influential, but more personal, were the agnostic colleagues, friends and neighbors who I have met throughout my life who showed me that people who don't believe in god can be some of the most down-to-earth, logical, kind and compassionate people around.
Glad to be here and looking forward to meeting fellow heathens and (fingers crossed) perhaps finding some atheists who grew up in the same ultra-right Catholic group that I was raised in. I know there must be a few! Wink
Cheers, all!

-Tocho
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Tocho's post
28-11-2016, 05:33 AM
RE: Hello. Happy to be here.
Welcome...

Grab a beer.... Don't cost nothin'....

[Image: anhouse.jpg]

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
28-11-2016, 06:00 AM
Stupid rational responders... it's impossible to "deny Holy Spirit." Tongue

Welcome. Angel

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
28-11-2016, 06:01 AM
Now that you mentioned it...how does homeschooling actually work? I always wondered.
I cant really imagine how this is actually supposed to happen...with the necessary quality of education as a result (to go to college for example).

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
28-11-2016, 07:23 AM
Welcome!

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
28-11-2016, 07:39 AM
Hello! Big Grin
28-11-2016, 08:10 AM
Welcome! Former Irish Catholic here.
28-11-2016, 10:30 AM
(28-11-2016 06:01 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  Now that you mentioned it...how does homeschooling actually work? I always wondered.
I cant really imagine how this is actually supposed to happen...with the necessary quality of education as a result (to go to college for example).

A decently motivated parent or co-op of parents can provide a great education for children. Since it is a lot more like one-on-one, it's a lot like being tutored.

Badly motivated (i.e., conservative religious) home schooling can leave children with a real deficit in logical skills and general knowledge. Just like "real" school. Smile
28-11-2016, 10:35 AM
Hello, welcome.
28-11-2016, 06:22 PM
Welcome to the forum.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.