Hello, Hello!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-07-2015, 11:19 PM
Shocked Hello, Hello!
Hello, hello! I have been a listener to the podcast over a year and a half now, and it occurred to me that I’ve never been on the main site or forum. So, I’m here! And, here’s my story in a nutshell:

I was raised Catholic in Birmingham, Alabama, a city full of many religious people given the prominence of migrants during the industrial revolution.

In retrospect, my religious upbringing were bad cards dealt to me. From 4K to 2nd grade, I attended one of the Catholic schools and was treated to the legions of sadistic nuns who would call out your name and read all the questions you had gotten wrong to the class, check to see if you ate all your food, even grip you tightly on the shoulders. These were only things that happened to the class!

My parents enrolled me into the public school system, and later worked with other parents to get some of these nuns fired. Of course, they were transferred elsewhere, only to come back to the city years later.

Until my first year of college, I went to church with my parents or by myself. By then, I didn’t believe in much, only did I go from habits and many homilies were the deepest of philosophy and ethics I was exposed. Like running an old computer program, I believed in AOL designed for Windows Me, and my mind operating on Vista. (<—a bit proud of that analogy…)

What severed my beliefs and upbringing was when I came out as gay to my parents in Fall 2012. Always, I knew that there was something ‘different’ about me, I just couldn’t place my finger on it, or in it. Thank you, Catholic guilt (lol).

The church I went to in Auburn was very liberal and such a contrast from the very conservative community around me, they even had an LGBT group that had just start up! With the Catholic Church trying to find ‘cures’ for homosexuality, this group was different.

I felt like I could breathe, so I had some courage and decided to come out to my parents. I told them on a Saturday night after driving two hours. Then, I immediately drove back the next morning! Not the brightest thing I’ve done, but I didn’t know any other way at the time.

However, it took a toll on my parents, trying to reconcile their gay son with whatever their personal beliefs are, whether consonant or dissonant with the Church. Mentally, this took me months to reach a modus vivendi, as my father told me (with hesitation in his voice) that "there was something evil inside of me.”

That sunk me into a deep depression for many months, uncertain of what was to come of life, but certain that I’d never go back to church or take myself seriously believing in any god who’d allow this to happen. In many ways, I was grieving what I knew. Only in hindsight would that become liberation.

To take from Julia Sweeney, it was like the Cambrian Explosion happened inside my head; I wasn’t crazy, and there are other (many) people out there.

I’m not sorry that this is long, there’s much more to say, but I will refrain. This is my way of putting my story out here for those who struggle and for those who’ve experienced similar. Either way, it’s not right, but no one’s alone. This community proves it!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Molay's post
27-07-2015, 12:11 AM
RE: Hello, Hello!
Welcome to TTA.

You're not the only one here from Alabama.

Which may surprise you.

Have fun.

Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
27-07-2015, 01:15 AM
Hello! Big Grin

also, Hug
[+] 1 user Likes Peebothuhul's post
27-07-2015, 01:19 AM
Welcome!

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
27-07-2015, 01:23 AM
War Eagle!!! Big Grin

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 1 user Likes Nurse's post
27-07-2015, 06:54 AM
Welcome!

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
27-07-2015, 08:39 AM
Welcome Molay! There is a great group of people here that support each other and I hope that you feel at home. If you need anything, don't hesitate to ask!

(22-08-2015 07:30 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  It is by will alone I set my brows in motion it is by the conditioner of avocado that the brows acquire volume the skin acquires spots the spots become a warning. It is by will alone I set my brows in motion.
[+] 1 user Likes Octapulse's post
27-07-2015, 08:40 AM
Welcome aboard! Smile

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
[+] 1 user Likes KidCharlemagne1962's post
27-07-2015, 09:10 AM
Welcome aboard! Smile

"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too"? - Douglas Adams Bechased
[+] 1 user Likes LostLegend's post
27-07-2015, 02:11 PM
Hey, thanks everyone for the welcome!

(27-07-2015 01:23 AM)Nurse Wrote:  War Eagle!!! Big Grin

Haha. I've never heard that beforeDodgy

(27-07-2015 12:11 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Welcome to TTA.

You're not the only one here from Alabama.

Which may surprise you.

Have fun.

I appreciate it, man. Where in Alabama are you from?