Hello, Hello!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-07-2015, 09:24 PM
RE: Hello, Hello!
Hiya Molay, interesting background you gave. Have you and your parents come to terms with what reads like a breach of sorts?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
31-07-2015, 09:26 PM
(31-07-2015 09:17 PM)Molay Wrote:  
(31-07-2015 08:12 PM)Tonechaser77 Wrote:  Roll Tide. Smile

Actually I'm a Buckeye (yes I'm a nut) so where we come from it's the call-n-answer "O H................................I O"

Welcome!

(31-07-2015 08:27 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  My Arkansas Razorback blood nearly boiled and my tongue was ready to detach & tender it's resignation before I explained to them I just used it as a universal Alabamian greeting, not as an expression of my fanboyishness! Laughat
But still Tongue

Welcome Molay! Shy

lol. I'm one of a few people who doesn't care about football. Whenever there's a gameday (I'm a couple blocks away from the stadium), I open my door, and see campers in the parking lot. Then I reel back into my apartment.

You don't watch football?!?!? Gasp Get out! Angry

I kid! Laugh out load It'd prolly be less entertaining for me without beer and cheerleaders to be honest! Tongue

[+] 2 users Like TheGulegon's post
31-07-2015, 09:46 PM
(31-07-2015 09:26 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  
(31-07-2015 09:17 PM)Molay Wrote:  lol. I'm one of a few people who doesn't care about football. Whenever there's a gameday (I'm a couple blocks away from the stadium), I open my door, and see campers in the parking lot. Then I reel back into my apartment.

You don't watch football?!?!? Gasp Get out! Angry

I kid! Laugh out load It'd prolly be less entertaining for me without beer and cheerleaders to be honest! Tongue

I'd be looking at the players, and not for the game. So, it's probably best I'm not watching...Angel

(31-07-2015 09:24 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Hiya Molay, interesting background you gave. Have you and your parents come to terms with what reads like a breach of sorts?

Hey there, and thanks for asking.

Earlier this year, my mother asked me about the 'god' question. I felt the adrenaline rush a bit from fear, but we had an open discussion, I said my peace and so did she (as well as my dad when he joined the conversation). I used the "heaven watches for 98,000 years" argument from Hitchens, and those similar as Socratic questions.

I think time has helped cool things down, and my parents are taking care of their parents (my mom's dad has dementia (91yo) and my dad's mom has a good bill of health, but needs to be driven around to run errands--she's 91 too). So, their focus is on other matters.

However, I don't think they've come to terms with it, especially my mom. I'm hesitant at times to mention something like a beautiful sunset. The conversation comes back quips, such as "God can only make such beautiful sunsets." It's frustrating because it puts me on edge, and I don't want to upset anything; I change the subject.

Overall, it's really sad because that's how it's going to be until they're gone. Yes, such an observation--an early mourning--is dark, but it's the truth. Life's hard already, and I hate that this is such a matter that has to be an obstruction.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Molay's post
31-07-2015, 10:01 PM
If I may offer a little advice, help them care for your grandparents, in a palpably useful way, and demonstrate to them the your lack of faith does not mean you're pulling away from family, nor does your atheism mean that you're stingy with love, time, or money. They may perhaps come around to understanding that you're still a good person and feel less need to inject agenda?

Sorry for the unasked advice, just a thought. Welcome to the forum, bud.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
31-07-2015, 10:12 PM
(31-07-2015 10:01 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  If I may offer a little advice, help them care for your grandparents, in a palpably useful way, and demonstrate to them the your lack of faith does not mean you're pulling away from family, nor does your atheism mean that you're stingy with love, time, or money. They may perhaps come around to understanding that you're still a good person and feel less need to inject agenda?

Sorry for the unasked advice, just a thought. Welcome to the forum, bud.

I appreciate the advice, especially after unloading a lot in prior responses. Usually, I'm down at school busy with my program (industrial design). When I'm home, for two weeks now (a break!) I help around the house, whether cleaning up stuff, taking care of the dog, or chopping food.

Overall, my parents know I'm a good person, they're set in their ways and at times not aware how set they are. But, I don't think it's right to say that to them because I'm not that kind of person to pick a fight. That includes the reasons you state, too.
[+] 1 user Likes Molay's post
31-07-2015, 10:16 PM
Sorry Blush Last post I promise!

I just noticed your avatar is Crow from Mystery Science Theater! Thumbsup

I hereby declare your TTA application: Accepted! Drinking Beverage
Thick Mcrunfast will now show you to your quarters!

[+] 1 user Likes TheGulegon's post
31-07-2015, 10:22 PM
Hey there! Fellow Alabamian here as well.

I just wanted to let you know that I love you even though you aren't naked right now. Heart
[+] 2 users Like TurkeyBurner's post
31-07-2015, 10:23 PM
(31-07-2015 10:22 PM)TurkeyBurner Wrote:  Hey there! Fellow Alabamian here as well.

Hello! I actually crept on your profile a few minutes ago? Where in Alabama, if I may ask?

(31-07-2015 10:16 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  Sorry Blush Last post I promise!

Bowing

Haha. I have so many to watch, luckily they're on YouTube. This is my favorite one of all, San Francisco International.

Then, it's either Horrors of Spider Island or Terror from the Year 5000.
[+] 1 user Likes Molay's post
31-07-2015, 10:56 PM
[Image: mWcbjoe.gif]

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 1 user Likes Commonsensei's post
31-07-2015, 11:11 PM
(31-07-2015 10:23 PM)Molay Wrote:  
(31-07-2015 10:22 PM)TurkeyBurner Wrote:  Hey there! Fellow Alabamian here as well.

Hello! I actually crept on your profile a few minutes ago? Where in Alabama, if I may ask?

(31-07-2015 10:16 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  Sorry Blush Last post I promise!

Bowing

Haha. I have so many to watch, luckily they're on YouTube. This is my favorite one of all, San Francisco International.

Then, it's either Horrors of Spider Island or Terror from the Year 5000.

I live near Birmingham and I work downtown. We are neighbors!

I just wanted to let you know that I love you even though you aren't naked right now. Heart
[+] 1 user Likes TurkeyBurner's post