Hello ,I don't know I am a atheist or not...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-06-2014, 05:02 AM
RE: Hello ,I don't know I am a atheist or not...
(04-06-2014 04:13 AM)Snowflake Wrote:  
(04-06-2014 02:59 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  Don't know if you are an atheist or not?

That's easily fixed.

Do you hold a positive belief in god?

Surly ,I don't hold a positive belief in god.

Then you're an atheist, dilemma solved.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
04-06-2014, 05:51 AM
Welcome Thumbsup

A wise person makes their own decisions; an ignorant one follows public opinion.
04-06-2014, 07:33 AM
(03-06-2014 11:13 PM)Snowflake Wrote:  Huh
(Didn't see any rage comic icon on the smile list...)

When I was younger(~15 years old) ,I thought I am a agnostic.But after I saw so many religion crime and their mind control behavior many years,I started to hate any religions.Except flying Spaghetti monster.

A commonly misunderstood term is agnostic and atheist. They can exist together.

Gnostic means to know.
Agnostic means you do not know, or can't know.

To simply say "I am agnostic" is sort of like saying "I don't know or can't know." in reply to answering the question of "Do you believe in god?" but it doesn't actually say anything on the stance. Most people lean to one side or the other. I suppose one could be completely truly neutral on the matter, but most people take a stance on one side of the fence or the other most of the time.

You could be:

Agnostic atheist - You lack belief in a god or gods. However, do not posses the knowledge (or can't as it may be unknowable) on whether or not a god or gods exist.
Agnostic theist - You believe in a god or gods. However, do not posses the knowledge (or can't as it may be unknowable) on whether or not a god or gods exist.

Gnostic atheist - You lack belief in a god or gods and you posses the knowledge to know they do not exist.
Gnostic theist - You believe in a god or gods and posses the knowledge to know they exist.

My primary issue with gnostic is that I don't feel that it is an honest position to take since I don't think there is that level of knowledge on the matter. Some people may use the inference of there being a lack of anything hinting at a god or gods, therefore, you can "know" they don't exist. But I still feel it's irrelevant.

I take the position of agnostic atheist because I think it's an unanswerable question due to lack of empirical evidence. I also think they are highly unlikely, so my stance is that I lack belief.

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
[+] 3 users Like Logisch's post
04-06-2014, 03:57 PM

When I was younger(~15 years old) ,I thought I am a agnostic.But after I saw so many religion crime and their mind control behavior many years,I started to hate any religions.Except flying Spaghetti monster.

Hello Snowflake. You sound antireligious. I am areligious. I don't claim no special access to metaphysics but we all got the responsibility to formulate our own. Religion is a cop out and dereliction of that responsibility. I don't really consider myself an agnostic or atheist. But if you're trying to sell me on some bullshit promise of a postmortem preservation of identity you're gonna have to posit a plausible mechanism of action for dualism. Any talk of God is premature.

(04-06-2014 02:02 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  (and don't worry about earmuffs, he gets narky at people for all kinds of reasons)

Dude woke up and realized he forgot to remove the rubber bands binding his satchel after his masturbatory session last night.

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.
04-06-2014, 04:21 PM

Welcome, as charis implied, do some introspective analysis on what is keeping you on the fence....what is preventing you from saying, "it is all made up nonsense". *whispers* "it is" Yes

At your leisure, listen to some of the many excellent podcasts, read some literature on the subject, invest in a copy of the skeptics annotated bible, may I refer you to some of hitchens fine work? You tube has a plethora of good videos, search hitchens debate, most of all...relax, let your mind process the facts, reason and logic available to you and you will find your way. If you have a question, ask.

“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.” - Christopher Hitchens
15-06-2014, 04:12 AM
(04-06-2014 02:59 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  

Don't know if you are an atheist or not?

That's easily fixed.

Do you hold a positive belief in god?

Sorry I havn't been on again til now but I remembered and made an effort to visit again and saw this post. First, thank you for your interest. I Recently finished reading, "Atheism: a case against God" and it really challenged me to determine if I was theist or not. Honestly, to an atheist, I use the idea of God as a tool that focuses my appreciation for the moments I experience, a complex psychological framework that I use to have a fulfilling life but giving credit to God is often like giving credit to my daughter for the lovely stakes I just grilled but to a theist, I am one of the truest believers even when I try to explain this to them. Quite honestly, I don't understand how my theological argument even make sense to other theist. However, when I challenge reason, I do not do so from a positive belief in God. For example:

I recently saw a youtube suggestion called "Refining Reason". I hoped that it was athiest debating with one another on refining reason then I went to watch it and it was titled, "Is it reasonable to believe in God?", so I commented this:

"So, when are atheist going to forget theist for a moment and actually look for the limitations of Reason. Only then will reason be refined. To argue with theist is to let them frame your exploration of reason to too great an extent. Of course take this with a grain of salt as this suggestion comes from a theist."

Now i don't want any of you atheist to condemn me to ahell for my aheretical sentiment, but when I challenge reason, I am really looking for the limits of what we can experience to be transmittable to another. I have two favorite topics for this discussion.

One is nothing because it is such a puny concept even when talking seriously. When you talk of nothing as a literary device or relative to ambient then it exist. When you look at it in physics then it makes no sense to exist and there is no proof for its existence outside of existence. However, logically it has the problem that if nothing exist then it is something which makes it not nothing and if nothing is not nothing then it violates the law of excluded middle. But, if it does not exist then it has no place being used in reason. Yet, we use it in many key foundations of reason such as zero and the empty set.

Two is loneliness. If we are alone as in not around any other being then then we are not in reality. We can look at loneliness as being one with all other being but then how would we transmit this information to any other being?

There are many cheap but fun and clever answers to these two ideas but none of them seem to resolve the issues presented to any real satisfaction. Thus, why I wish to know the limits of reason outside of any argument in any way influence by theism. I may be looking for people who are atheist to atheist because they fit the definition of not theistic but are themselves not actually concerned with theism at all.

I know this does not really answer your question but I hope it give you insight into who I am, why I am really here and if you are still interested in a further dialog about reason then message me. I don't check this forum often but I will eventually get back to it and message you back.
15-06-2014, 06:03 AM
Welcome aboard Smile

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
15-06-2014, 06:32 AM (This post was last modified: 15-06-2014 06:37 AM by therealJim.)
(04-06-2014 12:06 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(03-06-2014 11:26 PM)CindysRain Wrote:  Someone here told me it was okay to "not know".
Angry We must find the traitor!
Tongue
Welcome Smile

I confess. I did it. Big Grin After somebody else said it first. Shocking

Jesus sprach: "Es werde Licht!" / Doch ... er fand den Schalter nicht.
Jesus said: "Let there be light!" / But ... he couldn't find the switch.
Oops
26-06-2014, 12:50 AM
Hi snow flake!

Well this may be the best place to work out for yourself!
If you are an atheist or not, nothing changes until you try something different.
I think the waters are friendly but I am new to this sight also!!

K:
[+] 1 user Likes JONES's post
26-06-2014, 11:51 AM (This post was last modified: 26-06-2014 11:59 AM by bobsyeruncle.)
It seems to me atheist vs. agnostic is a label you give yourself. Regardless of the dictionary definitions. I know Neil DeGrasse Tyson called himself an agnostic once just to stay out of the debates. But, his philosophy was pretty much aligned with atheism. You can also change your label depending on how your views evolve.

I know agnostics who like to paint themselves as more reasonable, willing to hear both sides of the argument and not stand pat on a position in the face of a more reasonable argument. Me, though, I identify as atheist and don't see it as incompatible with being reasonable.