Hello, I'll be your dinner this evening

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-03-2015, 07:09 PM
Hello, I'll be your dinner this evening
So, I'm now on my way home from a long work day in New York. I ran late because my boss is in town so we had dinner. We went to this Greek place he loves that specializes in seafood. That's great for me, because I love fish.

Here's what I don't love: having a any kind of personal relationship with my food. That's why I was not at all happy when they brought the fish out on a plank for me before they cooked it. I know they do this so you can see that it's fresh, but to me it was just a dead fish on a plank. If I could tell a fresh dead fish fish from a non fresh dead fish, I'd probably be in the restaurant business.

Dinner was great, but I could have done without the personal introduction.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like BnW's post
11-03-2015, 07:12 PM
RE: Hello, I'll be your dinner this evening
(11-03-2015 07:09 PM)BnW Wrote:  So, I'm now on my way home from a long work day in New York. I ran late because my boss is in town so we had dinner. We went to this Greek place he loves that specializes in seafood. That's great for me, because I love fish.

Here's what I don't love: having a any kind of personal relationship with my food. That's why I was not at all happy when they brought the fish out on a plank for me before they cooked it. I know they do this so you can see that it's fresh, but to me it was just a dead fish on a plank. If I could tell a fresh dead fish fish from a non fresh dead fish, I'd probably be in the restaurant business.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 6 users Like Chas's post
11-03-2015, 07:14 PM
One would think it would be even better if they wheeled out a tank with a live fish in it before they cooked it. Kinda like choosing your own lobster. Consider

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 3 users Like evenheathen's post
11-03-2015, 07:45 PM
I like it when they do that but I'm a hunter and a fisherman and I like to look at a piece of meat before it hits the fire. There is a restaurant in Istanbul along the Bosphorus where you pick out your fish from a bunch of them stacked on ice. It's kind of like buying it at the meat counter in a grocery store. Best corvina [sea bass] I've ever had was there. Smile
[+] 1 user Likes Black Eagle's post
11-03-2015, 08:21 PM
(11-03-2015 07:14 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  One would think it would be even better if they wheeled out a tank with a live fish in it before they cooked it. Kinda like choosing your own lobster. Consider

This is a big part of why I'm not a huge fan of lobster. If I was required to kill my own food, I'd be dead in a week. I could kill other people's food no problem. Just not mine.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
12-03-2015, 05:56 AM
Somebody read The Restaurant at The End of The Universe....

Smile

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
12-03-2015, 10:08 AM
I don't like that everyone is so removed from the reality of their food. I also hate Disney. So there's that.
[+] 3 users Like eminart's post
12-03-2015, 12:42 PM
(12-03-2015 10:08 AM)eminart Wrote:  I don't like that everyone is so removed from the reality of their food. I also hate Disney. So there's that.

Not many people are willing to kill, clean, and butcher their own food..

I do at least 3 deer a year.

Best meat there is.....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
12-03-2015, 02:41 PM
(11-03-2015 07:09 PM)BnW Wrote:  If I could tell a fresh dead fish fish from a non fresh dead fish, ...

All you got to do is smell it to know the difference. And the eyes should be clear not cloudy. It's really not hard.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
12-03-2015, 03:04 PM
(11-03-2015 07:09 PM)BnW Wrote:  So, I'm now on my way home from a long work day in New York. I ran late because my boss is in town so we had dinner. We went to this Greek place he loves that specializes in seafood. That's great for me, because I love fish.

A vegetarian or vegan might argue that if you squirm at a live thing it is guilt and maybe you shouldn't do it. I am with you, I don't want to kill my own food, but it is a bit absurd for animal rights activists to think our omnivore evolution can be forced out of existence. Hunting is part of our evolution and even if one wants to argue better treatment of animals, which is fine, trying to stop all animal eating is nuts.

A fish feels pain just like a cow or pig. But if anyone thinks I am going to stop eating steak or bacon, they have another thing coming.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Brian37's post