Hello, I'm Atheist in FundyLand

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-12-2010, 05:25 PM

Hello, I'm Atheist in FundyLand
I'm Atheist in FundyLand and I can't tell you my other user name for fear it will get back to my home town. Don't get me wrong. I am totally out of the closet and have been since 2001.

The problem is I tend to make fun of the locals on my blog: Atheist in FundyLand. If the blog is traced back to me, I will have an even worse reputation than I currently do, which is probably pretty bad.

I live in a very small town, so small that every time the part of me who is Atheist in FundyLand rears her ugly head, the whole town hears about it.

My last such incident was just a few days ago: The Creationist Fossil and Rock Store Owner

As Larry from Mr. Deity would say, "That's fookuh doop." Sad

I'm still reeling from that little episode, trying to figure out how to apologize. The problem is I need her to like me. She’s part of the jewelry-making community and is heavily involved with Open MIC Night, both of which are very important to me.

Do you have any suggestions? I'm really quite upset about the whole affair.
Quote this message in a reply
04-12-2010, 06:03 PM
RE: Hello, I'm Atheist in FundyLand
Don't apologize. She will take as you admitting that everything you said was wrong. If you need something there, buy it without any comments or sharing any of your knowledge. If you can get the same thing elsewhere, do so and don't give her any more business than you absolutely have to.

This is "my" recommendation. Weigh it to see if it works for you. I don't know her, or your town. I am glad I don't have to deal with people like her very often.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-12-2010, 06:50 PM

I agree with No J. Don't apologize. If you do it makes you appear weak in that you're conceding to her point of view, and that you realize yours was faulty.
Don't pander to creationists, because their arrogance makes them believe they are superior to all others. As she told you. She's 54 years old and she knows the truth! In her world, there's only one truth and yours isn't it.

If it was me, I'd return to the shop when I needed to. I'd be pleasant but I wouldn't entertain any more thoughts of conversing with her on that former matter, since she's clearly not open minded enough to respect your more knowledgeable than herself on the very subject her store revolves around. And the typical Fundy is smugly satisfied as well, that folks like you and many others of us here, are all going to roast in hell for not believing as they do. So in their mind, they have the final word when the proof they were right all along is driven home as we roast for eternity. Life is choice. In the end, when she dies she's the one that's going to be surprised. Tongue

If you don't pursue the topic anymore and you end up suffering reprisals at open Mic, or otherwise because of it you know that this is your next hurdle testing your personal values. What can you afford to suffer when you want to be true to yourself? If you compromise who you are, so as to pander to those who have control over what you enjoy in your spare time, you're going to be selling out to something you can live without. While you will forever life with your own integrity. Or not.

Good luck.
And welcome to the forums. Smile
04-12-2010, 07:00 PM
Actually, I think Christianity is incompatible with anything other than young earth creationism. It's the main reason so many of them rely on it. Consider; if we take Genesis as anything other than literal, we lose the lineage from Adam thru Noah to Abraham and then on to David and then on to Jesus. Jesus' claim to messianic authority relies on prophesy and most of that prophesy relies on him being descended from David. So, take away Eden, lose Adam lose David lose Jesus as messiah.
04-12-2010, 07:00 PM
So..........whats new?
04-12-2010, 07:15 PM

(04-12-2010 07:00 PM)gamutman Wrote:  Actually, I think Christianity is incompatible with anything other than young earth creationism. It's the main reason so many of them rely on it. Consider; if we take Genesis as anything other than literal, we lose the lineage from Adam thru Noah to Abraham and then on to David and then on to Jesus. Jesus' claim to messianic authority relies on prophesy and most of that prophesy relies on him being descended from David. So, take away Eden, lose Adam lose David lose Jesus as messiah.

Richard Dawkins holds the same position. So do I, but I was trying to win points by pointing out the hypocrisy of Christians who accept evolution. One step at a time. Big Grin
(04-12-2010 06:50 PM)GassyKitten Wrote:  I agree with No J. Don't apologize. If you do it makes you appear weak in that you're conceding to her point of view, and that you realize yours was faulty.
Don't pander to creationists, because their arrogance makes them believe they are superior to all others. As she told you. She's 54 years old and she knows the truth! In her world, there's only one truth and yours isn't it.

If it was me, I'd return to the shop when I needed to. I'd be pleasant but I wouldn't entertain any more thoughts of conversing with her on that former matter, since she's clearly not open minded enough to respect your more knowledgeable than herself on the very subject her store revolves around. And the typical Fundy is smugly satisfied as well, that folks like you and many others of us here, are all going to roast in hell for not believing as they do. So in their mind, they have the final word when the proof they were right all along is driven home as we roast for eternity. Life is choice. In the end, when she dies she's the one that's going to be surprised. Tongue

If you don't pursue the topic anymore and you end up suffering reprisals at open Mic, or otherwise because of it you know that this is your next hurdle testing your personal values. What can you afford to suffer when you want to be true to yourself? If you compromise who you are, so as to pander to those who have control over what you enjoy in your spare time, you're going to be selling out to something you can live without. While you will forever life with your own integrity. Or not.

Good luck.
And welcome to the forums. Smile

I have found I must pick my battles or be miserable most of the time. I don't know anyone else in the area who self-identifies as an atheist. On the other hand, I assume everyone else is a fundy and I'm usually right.

It's easy to tell someone in my position to fight for their beliefs, but I've tried that and it was very nearly the end of me. It's possible to have integrity and still decide which things are worth fighting for and which things to let go.

If word of this gets around (and it most likely will), I may not find any store owners willing to sell my jewelry on consignment. Fundies can be really nasty.

The conversation with the shop owner came at a really bad time. That was a battle I should not have fought, but I couldn't take it anymore and well, there ya are. Smile

And here I am. Sad
05-12-2010, 04:48 PM
I would consider a move to a place where there is at least a grain, or two, of sanity. There, you are the only sane person. How lonely. There are others on this form who have it as bad as you, and a few who have it worse. Some countries are more intolerant of atheists than Fundyland.

Love thy neighbor. Yeah, right.
05-12-2010, 08:36 PM

(05-12-2010 04:48 PM)No J. Wrote:  I would consider a move to a place where there is at least a grain, or two, of sanity. There, you are the only sane person. How lonely. There are others on this form who have it as bad as you, and a few who have it worse. Some countries are more intolerant of atheists than Fundyland.

Love thy neighbor. Yeah, right.

Yeah, I know (everything you said above).

There are health and financial difficulties keeping me here. It's easy for someone to tell me to "just move" but it's more complicated than that.

I have ways of coping, like wearing my mp3 player most of the time, but when I have to take it off and actually talk to people, the citizens of FundyLand remind me I'm not terribly welcome, even though I was born here.

Incidentally, even when I'm reeling from an encouter with some whackjob for Jesus, I am also thankful I do not live in Saudi Arabia, Afghanistan or Iran.
05-12-2010, 09:08 PM
Gee whiz, maybe you could sell your jewelery on this site.........
06-12-2010, 11:15 PM

(05-12-2010 09:08 PM)jmick Wrote:  Gee whiz, maybe you could sell your jewelery on this site.........

I probably wouldn't be opposed to that. Wink It would, of course, mean revealing my other identity. Smile (Sh...just don't tell the fundies.)