RE: Hello, I'm a theist and atheist at the same time
[Image: tenor.gif]

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
18-06-2017, 10:57 AM
(18-06-2017 10:14 AM)thereverent1 Wrote:  I am a atheist -- that is, someone who believes that God does not exist --

That isn't the operative definition I generally mean when I call myself an atheist. I am someone who has no belief in the existence of any god.

Quote: who also believes that God is logically necessary. So I can honestly say that I am an atheist who believes in God. It's a God of logical necessity.

Please start a thread in an appropriate section of the forum about this. I do not see any necessity, logical or otherwise, for a god to exist so I'd like to understand your reasoning.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
18-06-2017, 11:16 AM
(18-06-2017 10:14 AM)thereverent1 Wrote:  So I can honestly say that I am an atheist who believes in God. It's a God of logical necessity.

An atheist is someone who does not believe in any god at all.
18-06-2017, 11:34 AM
(18-06-2017 10:14 AM)thereverent1 Wrote:  
(13-06-2017 02:29 PM)Oranssi Wrote:  Yes, that is how I define myself. I'm both at the same time, therefore I could as well be none.

I am a atheist -- that is, someone who believes that God does not exist -- who also believes that God is logically necessary. So I can honestly say that I am an atheist who believes in God. It's a God of logical necessity.

This again? And in someone else's intro thread, something you seem unwilling to do. Oh well.

Welcome to Oranssi who is and isn't. Looks like you've got all the bases covered.

“Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
Man got to tell himself he understand.”

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle
18-06-2017, 11:44 AM
Welcome. Since this is only an introduction section and not a debate we'll leave it at that. I'm sure we will have a lively disction.

But your definitions are off.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
18-06-2017, 12:57 PM
(18-06-2017 10:14 AM)thereverent1 Wrote:  
(13-06-2017 02:29 PM)Oranssi Wrote:  Yes, that is how I define myself. I'm both at the same time, therefore I could as well be none.

I am a atheist -- that is, someone who believes that God does not exist -- who also believes that God is logically necessary. So I can honestly say that I am an atheist who believes in God. It's a God of logical necessity.

What?

Oh and welcome to the forum

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
18-06-2017, 12:58 PM
Oh wait. They're two different people.

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
[+] 1 user Likes Losty's post
18-06-2017, 10:26 PM
Welcome.

I do not think that word means what you think it means.