Hello, I'm me

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-07-2016, 07:38 AM
RE: Hello, I'm me
Welcome to TTA. I look forward to your posts.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-07-2016, 07:37 PM
Welcome!

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
Find all posts by this user
30-07-2016, 08:19 PM
(28-07-2016 02:32 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(28-07-2016 01:58 PM)Professor Spark Wrote:  Cold War mass communication technology--being an AV nerd is finally getting me someplace.
Oh, and I like string. (textile arts)

I assume a ruddy great boom and burning city doesn't count as "mass communication" ?

Uh, no. I think that would be a failure of communication.

Rebellion is your link to the world, it is your first human act, your fundamental self-determination.
So long as you live, your rebellion is your integrity:
your integrity lies in rebellion.
Ivan Svitak, 1969
[+] 1 user Likes Professor Spark's post
30-07-2016, 08:22 PM
(28-07-2016 11:22 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Welcome, Ms. Spark (soon do be Doc Spark!). Your PhD topic is fascinating... I hope you'll enlighten us with some of your discoveries, before long. We're always glad to have well-read individuals, here.

I have a personal fascination with paleolithic technologies, as well as with the Cold War, so I am especially looking forward to some of your insights. Thanks for joining us. Smile

Hi Rocket Surgeon,
Thank you for your welcome. I realize being interested in paleolithic culture and the Cold War at the same time is a little weird, but it is kind of like knowing the end of a book, and trying to figure out how it started.

Rebellion is your link to the world, it is your first human act, your fundamental self-determination.
Ivan Svitak, 1969
30-07-2016, 08:24 PM
(29-07-2016 12:52 AM)Banjo Wrote:  
(28-07-2016 11:27 PM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  No, no, Who's on first.

Who's on third.

I don't know.

Ivan Svitak, 1969
30-07-2016, 08:26 PM
(29-07-2016 01:39 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Since the topic of her thesis is Cold War era media, I suppose a Yakov Smirnoff joke is in order:

"In America, you watch TV. In Soviet Russia, TV watches you!"

(And with that, I wave hello to the NSA spooks dutifully recording this post for the record.)

My problem is finding a nice, pedantic way of saying "Smart Phones would have been Stalin's wet dream."

Ivan Svitak, 1969
30-07-2016, 08:44 PM
(30-07-2016 08:22 PM)Professor Spark Wrote:  Hi Rocket Surgeon,
Thank you for your welcome. I realize being interested in paleolithic culture and the Cold War at the same time is a little weird, but it is kind of like knowing the end of a book, and trying to figure out how it started.

I attended the US Air Force Academy, a couple of years after the fall of the Berlin Wall and before we had fully decided to stop hating the Russians (I'll leave that statement unexamined for now), and studied extensively the Cold War military technologies that developed in the wake of WW2, in particular jets, missiles, tanks, and related electronic systems. Once I left USAFA due to medical reasons and attended a civilian university, I minored in history, and focused on military technology and its tactical applications-- in particular, ancient warfare, but I did continue to have a fascination with modern military tech.

On the other hand, I majored in biochem, and though I focused on viral genetics in my field research, I also harbored an interest in human evolution, including the development of stone-age technology through its various incarnations, since one of the defining characteristics of what begins to be called our Genus, Homo is tool use... especially interesting to me of late are the recent finds that suggest toolmaking is not unique to human hominids, and seems to date back to Australopithecus.

I also retired from the field of biology to focus on custom design and fabrication of motorcycles, which I formerly raced and now enjoy building. I suspect I could never have focused on one area of study long enough to have earned a PhD. On the other hand, I think most highly-intelligent people tend to have varied interests. Smile

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
30-07-2016, 11:50 PM
Greetings and welcome, future doc.

I'm pretty new here myself and am loving it so far, straight up folks who pull no punches, my kind of crowd. Sunday mornings are kind of dead, as everyone is in church, but things perk right up again after lunch.

PhD in the history of Technology. Hmm. That sounds as lucrative as my masters degree in herpetology. Best of luck, and I look forward to glorious and mind-bending arguments with you. Bring your A game, these guys are all pretty sharp, but keep that between us. Smile
30-07-2016, 11:59 PM
Quote:I attended the US Air Force Academy,

Hi RS, I didn't realize you were a zoomie from the zoo. I look forward to chatting with you, you have an interesting background.

CHKSX!
[+] 1 user Likes The Dark One's post
31-07-2016, 12:58 AM
(30-07-2016 11:59 PM)The Dark One Wrote:  
Quote:I attended the US Air Force Academy,

Hi RS, I didn't realize you were a zoomie from the zoo. I look forward to chatting with you, you have an interesting background.

CHKSX!

I'm actually wearing my USAFA "ringer" tee-shirt in my avatar pic, if you look closely.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson