Hello, I'm not sure what I am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-04-2014, 05:15 PM
RE: Hello, I'm not sure what I am
One does not have to sit a test to be here.

Theists are also welcome.

I am pleased you are outgrowing the fables you once held as truths.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
21-04-2014, 06:04 PM
(21-04-2014 11:28 AM)Plan 9 from OS Wrote:  Currently I'm a practicing Roman Catholic, but I feel that I am "this close" to taking the next step to no longer believing. I plan on doing a lot of reading on this site and to chime in on topics. It seems like the more you dig, the more unanswered questions you find.

If you want to know more about me, feel free to ask and I'll answer as best as I can without giving away my identity. I look forward to meeting you as time goes on.

Greetings, I do hope your stay here will be both an informative and enlightening experience.

So, why is it that you believed the teachings of Catholicism?

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
21-04-2014, 06:08 PM
Welcome! I hope you can find whatever answers you need here or if anything find some good friends Big Grin

[Image: 1371684603566567_animate.gif]

[Image: notagain.gif]
21-04-2014, 06:38 PM
(21-04-2014 04:26 PM)Plan 9 from OS Wrote:  As a member of the RCC, I've already had the belief that much of the bible was to be interpreted as allegory. Really, to maintain your faith you would have to. The Church has believed since the era of the church fathers around the time of Augustine. IMHO, being RCC is like handling a 2 edged sword. On the one hand, RCC members (I'd also say Anglicans, Lutherans and other early reformation denominations) tend to use more reason than your typical fundies/evangelicals - which puts us further down the path of being a skeptic. However, the flip side appears that because of these built in "buffers", it's harder to convince people like us to give up our faith.

Plan 9 (interesting name btw), I was taught that the RCC, the one true faith, was heads and shoulders above the rest, after all it was the one that Jesus supposedly establishes when he says to Peter "upon this this rock" etc.

It isn't until you read the litany of dogmas the RCC says you must believe in (De fide) to be a RC that you realize that it has just as much, if not more, weird shit than any of its competitors.

Just take a look, remember, you must believe with all your heart all of these things to be considered a true Catholic.

http://jloughnan.tripod.com/dogma.htm

I'd be interested to know how many of these you can accept/believe and how many you don't. Go through the exercise if for no one else but yourself.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
21-04-2014, 06:50 PM
The Mary worshippers nonsense is in contradiction to scripture.

1st Timothy 4:1 Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;
1st Timothy 4:2 Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron;
1st Timothy 4:3 Forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats , which God hath created to be received

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
21-04-2014, 07:25 PM
Hi ho.
Wanna buy an indulgence ? That's my job here. I sell indulgences, ...oh and miraculous medals. Can't forget those.
Tongue

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
21-04-2014, 10:19 PM (This post was last modified: 21-04-2014 10:27 PM by Taqiyya Mockingbird.)
Welcome to the forum, hope you find what you are looking for here.

Perhaps you might just consider eschewing useless labels and come to understand that it's OK to just be a person.

Beliefs or non-beliefs and opinions don't make a person anything, really. Try that thought on for size.

Me, I'm just here because I don't believe in superstitions or fairy tales (which only ever becomes a problem when people who believe in them try to press them on me, my children, etc.). That's good enough for me.

There are a LOT of good, knowledgeable and understanding people here. Hope you like it here.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop