• 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-03-2017, 10:34 AM
RE: Hello, - I recently deconverted
Welcome!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-03-2017, 10:38 AM
*In horrible Darth Vader voice* Welcome to the dark side.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
27-03-2017, 10:43 AM (This post was last modified: 27-03-2017 03:58 PM by Thoreauvian.)
(27-03-2017 05:57 AM)Gerry Wrote:  I have recently deconverted, and it is causing me mental anguish.

The panic attacks lessen as time passes and as you replace outworn concepts.
[+] 3 users Like Thoreauvian's post
27-03-2017, 10:45 AM
(27-03-2017 10:32 AM)Minimalist Wrote:  
Quote:I had a dream someone shot me in the head and everything went dark, empty, it was over.

Probably some jesus-freak NRA member. Welcome aboard. Speak freely. Most of us are unarmed.

LOL, I'm sure my psyche is just expressing itself, but it was a strange dream. The other night I dreampt my girlfriend was moving out of the state and consequently the relationship was over. I know it is also a result of my mental struggle right now, but still, I felt so depressed when I woke up.
[+] 1 user Likes Gerry's post
27-03-2017, 10:57 AM
I'm really sorry you got dragged through all that shit, and congratulations for fighting your way out.

I hope you find the support you need here Smile Feeling strange is certainly normal, as religion relies heavily on mental conditioning. In almost all case I've heard of, it gets better over time.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Robvalue's post
27-03-2017, 12:26 PM
Hi and welcome! Lots of former theists here, so we've got your back and can offer you some support. It's a challenging change for most people who started out in a theist world only to realize later in life that it never really was. Sounds like you've got the factual and logical things covered! But there are plenty of constructive conversations to be had here so start your own any time- ask questions, join in existing threads, post your own thoughts, etc.

There's a lot to learn about yourself in your post-theism life without the rigid boundaries of self-loathing that theism is so good at! Thumbsup
[+] 1 user Likes Emma's post
27-03-2017, 02:22 PM
Welcome! I also struggled to come to terms with my mortality...it isn't easy living with the belief that you're essentially immortal only for the realization that you're NOT hit you like a bullet train.

It's not so much that it is scary than it sucks for us to die and it all be over. But, eternity would suck even more once you think about it. It infinitely devalues this life, and it never ends. There is no rest, not even from rest.

Anywho, I hope you enjoy your stay here, and congrats for escaping! Hug

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
[+] 3 users Like Loom's post
27-03-2017, 02:50 PM
Welcome Smile You're objectively better off now... well, in my subjective opinion. I'd always choose to know the truth, even a horrible truth, rather than to believe a comforting lie.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
27-03-2017, 03:32 PM
(27-03-2017 02:50 PM)morondog Wrote:  Welcome Smile You're objectively better off now... well, in my subjective opinion. I'd always choose to know the truth, even a horrible truth, rather than to believe a comforting lie.

Not knowing some horrible truth may only set one up later for even more devastating truth, so I like truth as much as I can get it, horrible or not.
27-03-2017, 06:28 PM
Welcome to the forum.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.