Hello! Intro

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-03-2014, 10:57 AM
Hello! Intro
I'll start off my introducing myself then get to why I'm here. I'm a new atheist, converting only less than a year ago. I used to be a methodist and was brought up with all of the "teachings" and was obviously taught not to question it. I am currently pursuing my B.S. degree at a christian college and that's actually what made me turn full against religion. I always knew the stories but hearing them again and as it was being being taught as truth was complete bullshit to me. I'm a logical thinker and nothing about the bible is logical, not that I have seen anyway.

Anyway, I live in the south, close to the bible belt and I'm pretty lonely when it comes to beliefs, or lack there of. My husband knows but I haven't yet told anyone else, including my parents. Even though I feel very strongly about my lack of belief, I'm still scared of coming out of the atheist closet. It's simply not accepted here. It's just common knowledge that there is a god and he looks after everyone. I'm not afraid of not being loved any less by my parents, but more of the backlash of my mom worrying and freaking the fuck out over it. One day I will come clean, just not any time soon.

It will be nice to chat with those who are of the same mindset as me, who actually look for evidence and research instead of just accepting what is in front of them. Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes KimberHenry's post
31-03-2014, 01:50 PM
RE: Hello! Intro
Happy for you It's all up to you with help from your human being friends It's good to be a thoughtful nice person for no reason . come out when you are ready
31-03-2014, 02:44 PM
Greetings and Salutations

I believe you'll fit in quite well, this is a wonderful place to get support and you'll find many that share your views on the world.

Also have a a coconut!Big Grin

The requirement of evidence to back your claim does not disappear because it hurts your feelings, reality does not care about your feefees.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Blackhand293's post
31-03-2014, 05:30 PM
Welcome aboard!

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
[+] 1 user Likes Marozz's post
01-04-2014, 09:07 AM
Welcome!

I can definitely relate to your situation.

Deconverted last October, just out of college, still living pretty in the closet here in the bible belt.

Hope you enjoy yourself here, tons of fantastic people here on TTA.
[+] 1 user Likes Jasozz's post
01-04-2014, 09:09 AM
Welcome!

You would think by now the Bible Belt atheist closet would be full! Tongue

Lots of us understand what it's like to be in the south (in America) and not be a believer.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
01-04-2014, 09:19 AM
Welcome! Pull up a chair and join right in!

Drinking Beverage

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
01-04-2014, 11:19 AM
Welcome aboard Smile

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
[+] 1 user Likes KidCharlemagne1962's post
01-04-2014, 11:23 AM
Nice to have you, welcome ! Smile

If bullshit were music some people would be a brass band.
[+] 1 user Likes War Horse's post
01-04-2014, 02:27 PM
Wow, it's getting crowded in the Bible Belt's atheist closet! I don't mind none; I have no real personal bubble to speak of so I can squeeze back a little more to make room Big Grin At least you got one person that knows so you'd be less likely to explode y'know? Anyways, hope you enjoy it here! Yes

[Image: notagain.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Miss Suzanne's post