Hello! Mathematics Discussion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-03-2016, 07:29 PM
Hello! Mathematics Discussion
Hello,

I am what is purple and commutative, an Abelian grape. I am a mathematics fanatic first and foremost.

I grew up with secular religious parents. When I was 10 I started to disbelieve in a creator and I consider myself an agnostic atheist but I think that the universe should be appreciated since truth is surely the most beautiful thing.

In my free time I enjoy learning about mathematics, computer science (the imperative form of mathematics), physics and philosophy. I also enjoy discussing religion.

Does anyone like mathematics here? What are your favourite subjects? Mine are number theory and abstract algebra.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like AbelianGrape's post
06-03-2016, 08:16 PM
RE: Hello! Mathematics Discussion
I like 4/4 5/4 & 17/16. Does that count?

Welcome.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
06-03-2016, 08:23 PM
(06-03-2016 08:16 PM)Banjo Wrote:  I like 4/4 5/4 & 17/16. Does that count?

Welcome.

Not as subjects but those could be your favourite rational numbers.
06-03-2016, 08:24 PM
I can't math. Weeping

But welcome anyway!

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
06-03-2016, 08:26 PM (This post was last modified: 06-03-2016 08:33 PM by cactus.)
Welcome.
Math is fun and awesome Smile
[Image: math%201.jpg]

Edit: I liked biology, physics, maths, chemistry, and psychology. The only classes I never really liked were history and literature.
My favorite math would have to be calculus. Newton and Leibniz were cool dudes Cool

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
06-03-2016, 08:33 PM
(06-03-2016 08:24 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I can't math. Weeping

But welcome anyway!

Thank you.

I believe the ability to appreciate mathematics lies in everyone. It is truly beautiful and miraculously is extremely relevant to the real world which is more beautiful. It is not too late to learn mathematics. If you are dedicated enough I believe it's possible.

I think people shun mathematics because school makes it seem dry and boring. I liked mathematics in school but I knew the difference between real mathematics and the mathematics taught in school.

Here is some motivation:

The Fibonacci sequence starts with 1 and 1 and then you take their sum 1+1=2. Then you take 1+2=3 and 2+3=5 and so on so each next element of the sequence is the sum of the previous two. 1,1,2,3,5,8,13,21,34,55,... This shows up in many places in nature. Pine cones, pineapples, seashells, etc.

The Fibonacci sequence also appears in seemingly unrelated areas of mathematics. like Pascal's triangle. It is just so beautiful that the universe behaves in this way and so many seemingly unrelated things are somehow intertwined. It makes me feel warm and happy inside Smile.
06-03-2016, 08:36 PM
(06-03-2016 08:26 PM)cactus Wrote:  Welcome.
Math is fun and awesome Smile
[Image: math%201.jpg]

Edit: I liked biology, physics, maths, chemistry, and psychology. The only classes I never really liked were history and literature.
My favorite math would have to be calculus. Newton and Leibniz were cool dudes Cool

They are. Although Newton had some episodes of mania and showed signs of mental illness. I just ordered Principia Mathematica (not by Bertrand Russell and A.N Whitehead) but by Isaac Newton. I plan on reading it on a trip I'm going on.

What calculus textbook did you use in your course?
06-03-2016, 08:39 PM
(06-03-2016 08:33 PM)AbelianGrape Wrote:  

But welcome anyway!

Thank you.

I believe the ability to appreciate mathematics lies in everyone. It is truly beautiful and miraculously is extremely relevant to the real world which is more beautiful. It is not too late to learn mathematics. If you are dedicated enough I believe it's possible.

I think people shun mathematics because school makes it seem dry and boring. I liked mathematics in school but I knew the difference between real mathematics and the mathematics taught in school.

Here is some motivation:

The Fibonacci sequence starts with 1 and 1 and then you take their sum 1+1=2. Then you take 1+2=3 and 2+3=5 and so on so each next element of the sequence is the sum of the previous two. 1,1,2,3,5,8,13,21,34,55,... This shows up in many places in nature. Pine cones, pineapples, seashells, etc.

The Fibonacci sequence also appears in seemingly unrelated areas of mathematics. like Pascal's triangle. It is just so beautiful that the universe behaves in this way and so many seemingly unrelated things are somehow intertwined. It makes me feel warm and happy inside Smile.

Once I am outside my comfort zone of balancing debits and credits I can no longer math. It makes my head hurt...unless I am working on a sewing project and need to figure out ratios and such.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
06-03-2016, 08:44 PM
(06-03-2016 08:33 PM)AbelianGrape Wrote:  

But welcome anyway!

Thank you.

10/8 Dyscalculics disagree.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 2 users Like Free Thought's post
06-03-2016, 08:49 PM
(06-03-2016 07:29 PM)AbelianGrape Wrote:  Hello,

I am what is purple and commutative, an Abelian grape. I am a mathematics fanatic first and foremost.

I grew up with secular religious parents. When I was 10 I started to disbelieve in a creator and I consider myself an agnostic atheist but I think that the universe should be appreciated since truth is surely the most beautiful thing.

In my free time I enjoy learning about mathematics, computer science (the imperative form of mathematics), physics and philosophy. I also enjoy discussing religion.

Does anyone like mathematics here? What are your favourite subjects? Mine are number theory and abstract algebra.

Welcome! Did you mean "empirical" instead of "imperative"? There are physicists who post here (I'm one by training, but mostly my job description was "engineer"). I have dabbled in number theory. I don't enjoy discussing religion, though. It almost always gets into some back and forth where neither is going to convince the other. I'm retired, and spend more time with wood working and carving than I do mathematics, these days.