Hello! Mathematics Discussion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-03-2016, 07:31 AM
RE: Hello! Mathematics Discussion
(07-03-2016 07:15 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  Double post. Yes, -1/12 would have been better.

Is 'better' a mathematical term?Big Grin

Marburg virus, Ebola, Rabies, HIV, Smallpox, Hantavirus, Dengue Fever all brought to you by god - who cares for us and loves us all Censored
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-03-2016, 08:52 AM
(06-03-2016 07:29 PM)AbelianGrape Wrote:  Hello,

I am what is purple and commutative, an Abelian grape. I am a mathematics fanatic first and foremost.

I grew up with secular religious parents. When I was 10 I started to disbelieve in a creator and I consider myself an agnostic atheist but I think that the universe should be appreciated since truth is surely the most beautiful thing.

In my free time I enjoy learning about mathematics, computer science (the imperative form of mathematics), physics and philosophy. I also enjoy discussing religion.

Does anyone like mathematics here? What are your favourite subjects? Mine are number theory and abstract algebra.

(Raises hand)

I like mathematics, although it has to "time share" with a bunch of other interests. Although number theory fascinates me, it's also maddeningly difficult to work with. I am more comfortable with calculus. I don't remember the calculus textbook I used in college (many many years ago), but by far my favorite such book is the 2-volume set by Tom Apostol. It is much better than whatever we used in class. I have worked my way through most of volume one on my own, but am currently taking a breather to pursue some of my other interests.
07-03-2016, 09:11 AM
Love numbers, numbers don’t always love me. I’m particularly fond of 42.

Welcome.

Is it true that 4 out of 3 people have trouble with fractions?

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
08-03-2016, 04:33 AM
(07-03-2016 07:31 AM)god has no twitter account Wrote:  
(07-03-2016 07:15 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  Double post. Yes, -1/12 would have been better.
Is 'better' a mathematical term?Big Grin

In this case, yes: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1_%2B_2_%2B_3_%2B_4_%2B_⋯

(Which I gather you know but others may have missed)

Personally I'm on the hunt for the first uninteresting number.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
08-03-2016, 06:58 AM
(08-03-2016 04:33 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  
(07-03-2016 07:31 AM)god has no twitter account Wrote:  Is 'better' a mathematical term?Big Grin

In this case, yes: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1_%2B_2_%2B_3_%2B_4_%2B_⋯

(Which I gather you know but others may have missed)

Personally I'm on the hunt for the first uninteresting number.

Oh no, not that paradox again.Weeping

I do hope that this thread shows some improvement in the none-too-distant.Consider

Marburg virus, Ebola, Rabies, HIV, Smallpox, Hantavirus, Dengue Fever all brought to you by god - who cares for us and loves us all Censored