Hello My Old Friends!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-03-2015, 12:52 PM
RE: Hello My Old Friends!
(25-03-2015 06:16 PM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  
(24-03-2015 07:36 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  I know, still nice to say welcome and give a shark. Anyone welcomed old or new gets a shark

I feel left out Sad

Oh, sorry mate.

[Image: 6855102479_4803f7c496_z.jpg]

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Metazoa Zeke's post
26-03-2015, 04:25 PM
(25-03-2015 06:57 PM)kineo Wrote:  They are considering it now, and so I'll have to learn C#, so that'll be fun.

Is that the sort of exciting story you were looking for? Big Grin

Yes, yes it is. Big Grin I like C# a lot better than Java. C# delegates are a much more natural way to implement async callbacks than Java's listener model. Visual Studio is still the best IDE out there. Java's Swing doesn't even come close to the widgets provided in WPF. And deployment of C# apps is painless while Java apps almost always are a pain in the ass to deploy. Welcome back programmer!

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
26-03-2015, 04:40 PM
(26-03-2015 04:25 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(25-03-2015 06:57 PM)kineo Wrote:  They are considering it now, and so I'll have to learn C#, so that'll be fun.

Yes, yes it is. Big Grin I like C# a lot better than Java. C# delegates are a much more natural way to implement async callbacks than Java's listener model. Visual Studio is still the best IDE out there. Java's Swing doesn't even come close to the widgets provided in WPF. And deployment of C# apps is painless while Java apps almost always are a pain in the ass to deploy. Welcome back programmer!

Oh man, I hope C# is easier than dealing with swing. Plus dealing with arrays in Java is strange- you have tree maps, hash maps, and what not. I got used to it, but it was hard to wrap my head around.

I've been using the Eclipse IDE and I like it- I like how customizable the UI itself is. MS applications tend to be more rigid. At least I've used Visual Studio before, so it won't be completely alien to me.

At least I have more OOP experience, so I'm hoping that I'll be more equipped to learn C#. I'm "self-taught", in that I haven't gone to school for any of this. Just basically piecing knowledge and experience together from tutorials, Google, and StackOverflow, etc. I haven't built anything big, so I feel awkward calling myself a programmer lol. But I have built several tools in Java, stored procedures and functions in PL/SQL, as well as lots of complex scripts in SQL, and lots and lots of batch files lol. Oh, and I LOVE regular expressions. I don't get why people hate them so much. What's up with that?
26-03-2015, 04:42 PM
(26-03-2015 04:25 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

BlinkBlinkBlinkBlink

I understood about a third of the words there but have no clue what it all meant. Weeping

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
26-03-2015, 04:45 PM
(26-03-2015 04:40 PM)kineo Wrote:  
(26-03-2015 04:25 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Yes, yes it is. Big Grin I like C# a lot better than Java. C# delegates are a much more natural way to implement async callbacks than Java's listener model. Visual Studio is still the best IDE out there. Java's Swing doesn't even come close to the widgets provided in WPF. And deployment of C# apps is painless while Java apps almost always are a pain in the ass to deploy. Welcome back programmer!

Oh man, I hope C# is easier than dealing with swing. Plus dealing with arrays in Java is strange- you have tree maps, hash maps, and what not. I got used to it, but it was hard to wrap my head around.

I've been using the Eclipse IDE and I like it- I like how customizable the UI itself is. MS applications tend to be more rigid. At least I've used Visual Studio before, so it won't be completely alien to me.

C# development is best done in Visual Studio - nothing else has all the bells and whistles.

Quote:At least I have more OOP experience, so I'm hoping that I'll be more equipped to learn C#. I'm "self-taught", in that I haven't gone to school for any of this. Just basically piecing knowledge and experience together from tutorials, Google, and StackOverflow, etc. I haven't built anything big, so I feel awkward calling myself a programmer lol. But I have built several tools in Java, stored procedures and functions in PL/SQL, as well as lots of complex scripts in SQL, and lots and lots of batch files lol. Oh, and I LOVE regular expressions. I don't get why people hate them so much. What's up with that?

Regular expressions are write-only. Angry

Not really, but creating one is far easier than figuring out an existing one.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
26-03-2015, 04:49 PM
(26-03-2015 04:45 PM)Chas Wrote:  Regular expressions are write-only. Angry

That's a really good point. Even trying to figure out an old expression I wrote can be a headache.
26-03-2015, 04:51 PM
(26-03-2015 04:40 PM)kineo Wrote:  I've been using the Eclipse IDE and I like it- I like how customizable the UI itself is.

Eclipse is good, it's just not as good as VS. Until Android Studio came out we coded our Android apps in Eclipse with Google's plugin. Now Android Studio internalizes Eclipse.

(26-03-2015 04:40 PM)kineo Wrote:  Oh, and I LOVE regular expressions. I don't get why people hate them so much. What's up with that?

I love their power and know when to use them but I always have to go to regxlib.com and the documentation to write them.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
26-03-2015, 04:57 PM
(26-03-2015 04:49 PM)kineo Wrote:  
(26-03-2015 04:45 PM)Chas Wrote:  Regular expressions are write-only. Angry

That's a really good point. Even trying to figure out an old expression I wrote can be a headache.

That's what comments are for. Dodgy

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
26-03-2015, 04:57 PM
(26-03-2015 04:42 PM)Anjele Wrote:  ...

I understood about a third of the words there but have no clue what it all meant. Weeping

It must be how gods chat when they are comparing notes about their biological creations.

"Seriously bro! You're still using RNA?"
"Sure, man, I don't like the extra complexity of DNA"

Undecided

[+] 5 users Like DLJ's post
26-03-2015, 05:01 PM
(26-03-2015 04:57 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(26-03-2015 04:49 PM)kineo Wrote:  That's a really good point. Even trying to figure out an old expression I wrote can be a headache.

That's what comments are for. Dodgy

Comments in a regex pattern? That's crazy talk! Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes Emma's post