Hello! Nice to meet you all

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-05-2016, 11:13 PM
Hello! Nice to meet you all
Hello guys!

I am an Indonesian and currently 25 years old. And I'm interested to know the atheist community. My family and environment background are full with Catholic & Christian teachings. Heck, I were the leader of Catholic Campus Community (5.5 years ago) in my university. And gradually since 3 years ago, my great interest in science started to affect my beliefs. Eventually now I am sure and made my choice to not believing anymore. Yes, there's still doubt, but I know this is my road. I think I need all of your support and excited to see how much you guys really embrace anyone with care. But now I am struggling because I am the only atheist in my circle (family, friends, etc). I don't have the courage yet and I don't think to announce my disbelief is a wise idea for now.

Anyway, please let me be a part of this great community!Smile
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Menji's post
30-05-2016, 11:51 PM
RE: Hello! Nice to meet you all
Hi. Welcome to TTA.

I was chatting with an Indonesian Catholic 'educator' a short while ago. I think he couldn't even comprehend what 'atheist' meant. It was a mind-trip.

It'll be good to have another SE Asian perspective on things.

Nice to meet you.

Smile

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
31-05-2016, 02:11 AM
Welcome! I think you'll find many American atheists in your same situation.

You'll fit right in. And, as DLJ said, we'll greatly benefit from your perspective.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
31-05-2016, 03:52 AM
Hello! Big Grin
31-05-2016, 04:17 AM
Hi there Menji. Smile

I can understand it being uncomfortable being surrounded by theist family and friends, but you'll certainly find a supportive atheist community on these forums. My suggestion would be to keep your atheist state of mind relatively low key just at the moment, and introduce the notion progressively to your acquaintances over some extended period of time. If you hit theists too hard and too suddenly with your new-found atheism, you can all too easily alienate the more dogged of them. Discretion is the better part of valour.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
31-05-2016, 04:37 AM
Hello.

Wysłane z mojego 6045K przy użyciu Tapatalka

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
31-05-2016, 05:28 AM
Welcome!

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
31-05-2016, 06:43 AM
Welcome!
31-05-2016, 07:16 AM
Hi Menji.

Welcome to the forum. You'll love it here!

What's the general attitude to atheists in Indonesia? And are most indonesians christian?
I know that in many countries, including large parts of the US, it isn't generally wise to tell whoever you meet that you arent religious. While in other parts of the world (like Denmark where I live), it's most common to not believe in any god(s).
31-05-2016, 08:13 AM
(30-05-2016 11:51 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Hi. Welcome to TTA.

I was chatting with an Indonesian Catholic 'educator' a short while ago. I think he couldn't even comprehend what 'atheist' meant. It was a mind-trip.

It'll be good to have another SE Asian perspective on things.

Nice to meet you.

Smile

Whoa. What kind of 'educator'? Yeah, It was hard to have that kind of conversation. That's why I always stay really low and fake my belief.

nice to meet you too!
[+] 1 user Likes Menji's post