Hello! Nice to meet you all

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-05-2016, 08:24 AM
RE: Hello! Nice to meet you all
(31-05-2016 02:11 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Welcome! I think you'll find many American atheists in your same situation.

You'll fit right in. And, as DLJ said, we'll greatly benefit from your perspective.

Thanks for the warm welcome! I need this kind of family, where we can share this "minority" things freely without fear. Hope my experience could benefit this community!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Menji's post
31-05-2016, 08:36 AM
(31-05-2016 04:17 AM)SYZ Wrote:  Hi there Menji. Smile

I can understand it being uncomfortable being surrounded by theist family and friends, but you'll certainly find a supportive atheist community on these forums. My suggestion would be to keep your atheist state of mind relatively low key just at the moment, and introduce the notion progressively to your acquaintances over some extended period of time. If you hit theists too hard and too suddenly with your new-found atheism, you can all too easily alienate the more dogged of them. Discretion is the better part of valour.

Yes. That's my main goal, exactly! I am a passive listener now, and I actually want to understand theists, it's hard but, it's a process. At least now I have a supportive community, instead of being alone Sad
31-05-2016, 08:45 AM
(31-05-2016 07:16 AM)LadyDay Wrote:  Hi Menji.

Welcome to the forum. You'll love it here!

What's the general attitude to atheists in Indonesia? And are most indonesians christian?
I know that in many countries, including large parts of the US, it isn't generally wise to tell whoever you meet that you arent religious. While in other parts of the world (like Denmark where I live), it's most common to not believe in any god(s).

Atheist in this country is really really scarce. It also depend on your social status, higher social status and education will generate more atheist. I think its the same all over the world. I am in a middle-high environment, despite that, I only know 1 atheist aqcuintance in my whole life (I'm not that close to him). But in any culture and social environment, atheism is a blasphemy, and people will look down on you. Religion and race are generating conflicts here, but they will agree and confront you together if you're an atheist.

Most of our people are Muslims, followed by Christians and Catholic. I knew there's some atheist community right here, but I don't think their vision fit with my perspective, most of atheist right here just jump on hard arguments and never listens, same like fundamental theists never listen to our logic.

I am looking forward to meet and know good and open minded atheist who can truly support humanity and community without bashing and doing harm on anyone. We only live once right? We're gonna make it right Smile
[+] 2 users Like Menji's post
31-05-2016, 08:51 AM
(31-05-2016 08:45 AM)Menji Wrote:  Atheist in this country is really really scarce. It also depend on your social status, higher social status and education will generate more atheist. I think its the same all over the world. I am in a middle-high environment, despite that, I only know 1 atheist aqcuintance in my whole life (I'm not that close to him). But in any culture and social environment, atheism is a blasphemy, and people will look down on you. Religion and race are generating conflicts here, but they will agree and confront you together if you're an atheist.

Most of our people are Muslims, followed by Christians and Catholic. I knew there's some atheist community right here, but I don't think their vision fit with my perspective, most of atheist right here just jump on hard arguments and never listens, same like fundamental theists never listen to our logic.

I am looking forward to meet and know good and open minded atheist who can truly support humanity and community without bashing and doing harm on anyone. We only live once right? We're gonna make it right Smile

I think it's perfectly alright to keep a low profile as an atheist, especially in a society where it can give you real problems. It's not nice to be alienated by everyone around you. And religion is a strong force that drives good people just like it does bad. When it comes to being an atheist you don't have anything you have to preach to people. Smile

It's great to have you here. You have an awesome attitude! Wink
[+] 1 user Likes LadyDay's post
31-05-2016, 03:12 PM
I am so glad to meet you and hope that you enjoy it here as much as I do. Welcome!

The biology of mind bridges the sciences - concerned with the natural world - and the humanities - concerned with the meaning of human experience. Eric Kandel
31-05-2016, 03:28 PM
Welcome. This place (I think) will be a place where you will find others who "understand".

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
31-05-2016, 03:33 PM
Welcome Menji. Glad to have you around.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin