Hello! So glad to finally find y'all.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-08-2016, 05:43 PM
RE: Hello! So glad to finally find y'all.
Welcome to freedom. Lots of us made it out of the cult, too.

I'm married to a (much more sane version of) Christian, so I understand. Luckily, she accepts me just as I am...if you'll pardon the reference.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
05-08-2016, 06:27 PM
Welcome!

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
[+] 1 user Likes Marozz's post
05-08-2016, 09:54 PM
Hello and Welcome to TTA!

1 Like = 1 Prayer
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes izel's post
06-08-2016, 12:04 AM
When did we get sane people? Welcome to the forum. Pull up a toadstool.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post
06-08-2016, 06:36 AM
Welcome to TTA.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
06-08-2016, 07:16 AM
Welcome, some relationships survive deconversion of a partner some like mine don't. You need to weigh up the pros and cons of coming out very carefully.
[+] 2 users Like adey67's post
06-08-2016, 09:52 AM
Thank you all for the nice welcome! I'm hoping to have more time this week-end to do more reading and conversing here. I really appreciate finding a space where I can be fully honest. I don't think I'm in a spot where I can "come out" at home, so this will have to do... for now anyway. Smile Unless I decide to start an anonymous blog! Big Grin

In ancient Egypt, cats were worshipped as gods.... they have never forgotten this
(And yes, that gorgeous creature in my avatar is my very own lovely psycho-kitty-Queen)
[+] 1 user Likes Closet-Heathen's post
06-08-2016, 10:21 AM
Thumbs Up RE: Hello! So glad to finally find y'all.
(04-08-2016 11:30 PM)Closet-Heathen Wrote:  Hello! Glad to have found the forum (finally... lol) I found Seth's YT channel about 2 years ago and have gradually realized that I no longer believe so many things I used to FERVENTLY believe... My husband and I had been very active in a large Assemblies of God church in the Midwest... I was a church and recording/performing musician, always up on the platform every Sunday morning and evening - I've "fallen" a long way. Big Grin Anyway, husband is still very active, very much a believer, and I'm still "in the closet" (as you may have guessed from my name) Wink All he knows is that I haven't attended church in a few years, and in the beginning I told him I didn't like our new pastor, and had differences of opinion about certain things happening at the church (like Rodney Howard Brown type crap, and similar guests "healing evangelists" "prophets" etc. who came through regularly)

Now I look back on the time I participated in that whole show with deep embarrassment that I could have fallen for such BS. We raised our children with fundamentalist ideas, taught creationism - even attended a Ken Ham workshop for homeschool families when he came to our town (I seriously cannot believe how STUPID I was... don't tell anyone!! Haha!) Now I struggle with knowing that I influenced our children into that belief-system. I want so badly to sit them down and say how WRONG it was and is, but don't know quite how to do it. (they are young adults now, and doing well out on their own, and only occasionally go to church with husband, but I do think they still believe)

I'm not sure when I'll be able to come clean with the family. I truly fear the reaction I might get from my husband, who practically LIVES for church. (and here's something even scarier - when we were talking about the election the other day, I mentioned the reports of Donald Trump repeatedly asking, in a briefing, "Why can't we just nuke them?" and how appallingly terrifying it is to think of him being in the White House... husband said "well, if he does it, we just get to heaven sooner" GaspShocking Facepalm SERIOUSLY!!! That is a TERRIFYING response, and probably very common among bible literalists! YIKES!! I had no words and had to walk away before I exploded. I love the man and he loves me, but I don't know what his reaction might be if I tell him what I REALLY think these days. But really, I am aghast at this reaction, and the more I think about it, the more fearful I become that perhaps a lot of Christians who support Trump have that exact same mindset. They're not worried about nukes in this man's hands, because, hey, it's just a faster trip to meet Jesus in their minds... No

OK, I wasn't intending to go off on a tangent, really just wanted to say hi, and express my appreciation to Seth and all the people here. It is wonderful to have some fully SANE people to visit with, and all the great resources Seth provides. I am (eternally?) grateful!

Welcome to Atheist Land.
Not all atheists are heathens though.
Some of us are not fully SANE either.

We cover the spectrum of human behaviour. We will enjoy your contributions to that spectrum.
[+] 1 user Likes RogueWarrior's post
11-08-2016, 05:51 PM
Welcome! I hope to hear more from you around here!
12-08-2016, 01:03 AM
Welcome to the party! I'm the only one here who isn't completely nuts, but only a few of the guys are actually dangerous. Evil_monster Sorry, but it's against forum rules to tell you which ones. No

You'll find atheists are just as moral- if not more so- than theists. That being said, if anyone in your life becomes a nuisance, pm me...one free...adjustment... for every newbie! Just my way of saying "Howdy!".

Look forward to arguing with you!

Thumbsup
[+] 1 user Likes The Dark One's post