Hello TTA!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-01-2014, 02:36 AM
Hello TTA!
Hi there, I used to be a muslim before but few years ago I started to question our existence, god, metaphysical beings etc. First, I became a deist and eventually freed myself from my shackles and became an atheist.

I'm living in Turkey and sometimes it is hard to be an atheist here. 98% of population is Muslim in Turkey (yep, 98%) and you know how kind Muslims are towards atheists. Rolleyes

I'm not sure if I can make much of a contribution to the community but I'll see what I can.

(Btw, since I'm not a native speaker I kindly ask you to pardon my mistakes! Blush )
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Cheesus christ's post
10-01-2014, 03:04 AM
RE: Hello TTA!
(10-01-2014 02:36 AM)Cheesus christ Wrote:  Hi there, I used to be a muslim before but few years ago I started to question our existence, god, metaphysical beings etc. First, I became a deist and eventually freed myself from my shackles and became an atheist.

I'm living in Turkey and sometimes it is hard to be an atheist here. 98% of population is Muslim in Turkey (yep, 98%) and you know how kind Muslims are towards atheists. Rolleyes

I'm not sure if I can make much of a contribution to the community but I'll see what I can.

(Btw, since I'm not a native speaker I kindly ask you to pardon my mistakes! Blush )

Welcome to the forum. Thumbsup

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
10-01-2014, 03:10 AM
Hello. I hope your spoofing your IP address.
Isn't Turkey a reasonable secular state ?

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
[+] 1 user Likes sporehux's post
10-01-2014, 03:22 AM
(10-01-2014 03:10 AM)sporehux Wrote:  Hello. I hope your spoofing your IP address.
Isn't Turkey a reasonable secular state ?

No, I'm not spoofing my IP address actually. I'm a part of Turkish atheist communities as well. We are not getting tracked or publicly lynched as if we were in an arabic country. The "hard" part of being an atheist here in Turkey differs. I'd have to explain further why I'm sometimes forced to hide under shadows as an atheist and sometimes not.

As for the secular part, yes it is a secular state! Founder of Turkey Mustafa Kemal did his best work to keep the state secular. However as for the last 10 years, things have started to change here. Law wise, Turkey is still a secular state. However government clearly indicates itself as a moderate islamic one.

I don't want to post a wall of text under a welcome post and spam problems of a middle eastern country. Thanks for your reply a lot! Smile

@revenant77x

thanks a lot!
[+] 8 users Like Cheesus christ's post
10-01-2014, 04:15 AM
Welcome Smile

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
10-01-2014, 05:11 AM
(10-01-2014 03:22 AM)Cheesus christ Wrote:  As for the secular part, yes it is a secular state! Founder of Turkey Mustafa Kemal did his best work to keep the state secular. However as for the last 10 years, things have started to change here. Law wise, Turkey is still a secular state. However government clearly indicates itself as a moderate islamic one.

Welcome to the forum.

A few weeks ago we had a silly Muslim Chechen who was living in Turkey telling us all sorts of nonsense about Islam and Turkey. Amongst other things this person insisted that Turkey is an Islamic state. I mentioned Ataturk and his secularisation of Turkey and the current Turkish constitution but this person did not even appear to have any clue about the hisory of Turkey or the historical importance of Ataturk. Is this typical of Muslim migrants to Turkey? Are these fanatic Muslims from broken countries like Chechnya a threat to the secular state of Turkey?

You must be embarassed about Adnan Oktar (aka Harun Yahya)--I would be. He brings shame to Turkey with his idiotic--Saudi sponsored--books. I would like to read you opinion on his TV show:

Are they discussing creationism and Islam?

Wink
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chippy's post
10-01-2014, 06:56 AM
(10-01-2014 05:11 AM)Chippy Wrote:  ...
I would like to read you opinion on his TV show:

Are they discussing creationism and Islam?

I think he was just saying "Nice tits!"

Welcome to the forum, baby Cheesy.

You are a native speaker. It's the internet... everyone is local.

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
10-01-2014, 07:18 AM
Welcome! Nice to meet you! Smile

A man blames his bad childhood on leprechauns. He claims they don't exist, but yet still says without a doubt that they stole all his money and then killed his parents. That's why he became Leprechaun-Man

Im_Ryan forum member
10-01-2014, 07:45 AM
Hello Cheesy from a newbie to another!
10-01-2014, 08:47 AM
Welcome aboard Smile

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume