Hello TTA

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-11-2014, 01:05 PM
Hello TTA
Hi everyone, I am 33 year old living in the bible belt! Gasp

I was raised catholic, but as a teenager I remember thinking that most of what was being preached was nonsense. My parents took it better than most I suppose, my mom was upset about it for a few weeks but eventually accepted it. I spent most of my life after that claiming to be agnostic, however, this was mostly because I had a didn't have a complete understanding on gnosticism/agnosticism and theism/atheism. I now identify as agnostic atheist.

I also spent most of my life not really putting much thought into religion or my lack of belief. I didn't believe in god and that was it. It wasn't until earlier this year that my dad and I were having some conversation and somehow it turned towards evolution and why my dad didn't buy into it. As he started to explain why, it was clear to me that he didn't have a very good understanding of evolution. I knew enough about it to know he was wrong, but not enough to actually explain it well. So I began to look into evolution which of course brought me to creationism vs evolution debates and atheists vs theism. Started to become more and more interested. And here I am.

I'm not the most scientifically educated person, but I'm trying to get there. And I'm totally new to the whole debate thing.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-11-2014, 01:10 PM
RE: Hello TTA
Welcome to the party! Feel free to jump right in. Thumbsup

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
19-11-2014, 01:12 PM
Hello. Smile
19-11-2014, 01:19 PM
Welcome. You don't need to debate to be here, just speak your mind and make sure that mind is open. :-)

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-11-2014, 01:29 PM
Welcome aboard! Smile

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
19-11-2014, 01:39 PM
Sooo...are you just kidding? Big Grin

Welcome to the forums...

Be true to yourself. Heart
19-11-2014, 02:35 PM
Thanks! Yeah, I know I don't necessarily need to debate to be here, but I like to at least be able to hold my own in a conversation, whether it be in person or online.

And yes...usually I am just kidding...
19-11-2014, 04:41 PM
Welcome!! Lots of opportunities for learning here.

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta