Hello There

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-06-2016, 05:16 PM
Hello There
I thought I would visit people with similar ideas. I sometimes feel like have to keep my ideas hidden, like a closet alcoholic or something.

Lately my wife has been wanting to go to church and wants me to go as well. She had never gone to church much until a very close family member passed away. I would not mind going for her, but it's really boring hearing people talk about things I don't find true, and the more I read or hear people talk about the bible, the less I believe it. It just starts to sound silly and unbelievable to me.

I don't really mind if she wants to believe this. Believing in an afterlife is comforting to her. Not believing keeps me awake an night, especially as I also have immediate family members pass, and I start to think abut who's next.

I didn't mean to get too heavy right away, but there are things that nobody know about what I think. Now only Google and probably the government knows what I think, so I will likely never get elected to a pubic office.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-06-2016, 06:55 PM
RE: Hello There
Welcome to the forum.

(05-06-2016 05:16 PM)DaveintheOC Wrote:  and the more I read or hear people talk about the bible, the less I believe it. It just starts to sound silly and unbelievable to me.

You get that too? Whenever I can't avoid religion I am always struck by the absurdities. Some of the hymns are the worst. I find myself listening to the words thinking, "No, you really can't do that."

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
05-06-2016, 07:16 PM
Welcome Dave Smile
If your username refers to the OC that I think it does, then we share a hometown; I'm sure this forum will be a nice escape from the often stifling atmosphere there. If it's a different OC, then feel free to disregard all of that Tongue but still, welcome and I hope you enjoy yourself here!
05-06-2016, 09:14 PM
(05-06-2016 07:16 PM)debna27 Wrote:  Welcome Dave Smile
If your username refers to the OC that I think it does, then we share a hometown; I'm sure this forum will be a nice escape from the often stifling atmosphere there. If it's a different OC, then feel free to disregard all of that Tongue but still, welcome and I hope you enjoy yourself here!

Yes, the OC in the west coast, just like the TV show.
05-06-2016, 10:26 PM
(05-06-2016 06:55 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  You get that too? Whenever I can't avoid religion I am always struck by the absurdities. Some of the hymns are the worst. I find myself listening to the words thinking, "No, you really can't do that."
Just opening the Bible and right away I read things that should not make any sense to a rational, intelligent person.

Genesis 3:9 Then the man and his wife heard the sound of the LORD God as he was walking in the garden in the cool of the day, and they hid from the LORD God among the trees of the garden.
Genesis 3:9 But the LORD God called to the man, "Where are you?"

Two people on the entire planet and God already lost track of one of them, but maybe it was a rhetorical question.

Genesis 4:9 Then the LORD said to Cain, "Where is your brother Abel?" "I don't know," he replied. "Am I my brother's keeper?"

Now 4 people (3 after Able's death) and He still can't keep track of them. How is this omnipotent being supposed to look over 2.2 Billion Christians world wide?

And of course with only 3 people in existence, who was Cain's wife?

Maybe all these questions are beyond the scope of an Introduction message thread, but just some things I think about to myself.
[+] 3 users Like DaveintheOC's post
05-06-2016, 10:39 PM
Oh, you'll see a LOT more of that kind of question, if you hang around.

Take some comfort in the fact that the US alone has something like 30 million infidels (depending on how you define the term atheist or nonbeliever), so I doubt they're going to dedicate much research to tracking down which of us would be unelectable in a general Presidential campaign.

That said, the number of atheists is steadily growing, as the younger generation has access to the internet, so it's harder for religious organizations to shelter them from facts and insert indoctrination in its place. Perhaps you'll be electable in 2030. Smile

Meanwhile, welcome to TTA. Glad you're here. Step right in and start swinging.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
06-06-2016, 04:31 AM
Welcome.

Wysłane z mojego 6045K przy użyciu Tapatalka

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
06-06-2016, 09:45 AM
Welcome!

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
06-06-2016, 09:58 AM
Hello! Big Grin

Or... Perhaps I should be sayin' 'G'Day' more often? Consider
07-06-2016, 04:27 PM
(05-06-2016 10:26 PM)DaveintheOC Wrote:  
(05-06-2016 06:55 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  You get that too? Whenever I can't avoid religion I am always struck by the absurdities. Some of the hymns are the worst. I find myself listening to the words thinking, "No, you really can't do that."
Just opening the Bible and right away I read things that should not make any sense to a rational, intelligent person.

It's almost as if somebody had a list of YouTube comments and a time machine.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.