Hello There

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-12-2009, 05:04 PM
Hello There
Yo. Another thinking atheist here.

A little bit about me: I'm 18, currently attending college in the American Midwest. I was born in Massachusetts, so I'm ALLOWED to root for the Patriots. I read a lot of books... probably too many. Some of my favorites are the Hyperion Saga, Dune, the Discworld series, and the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever, from which I take my username (no, it's not because of my atheism. I was using this username while I still believed). I take very few things seriously, except logic. I am not a militant atheist, but I am a militant skeptic, and I expect any claims that someone makes to have supporting evidence. If you don't, I will keep hounding you about it.
I also love games. Any kind of games. Video games, board games, card games... anything you want to play, I'll join in. I even admin a play-by-post gaming forum, though it's pretty much dead now.

As for other sites, I'm on both the Reason-Based Atheism group and Atheism fan page on Facebook, where I'm pretty active. The only other site that I'm really a regular on is the JREF forums, where I go by the username Pure_Argent.

Nice to meetcha!

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-12-2009, 06:14 AM

RE: Hello There
Heya there!

It seems we have a lot in common! I'm an 18-year-old-skeptic-video-gamer thinking-atheist too! Our only difference would probably be the fact that I dislike reading really thick novels. Big Grin

I'm also on Facebook. Maybe I should also join those Atheism groups and fan pages. Do they constantly hold intellectual discussions there?
Quote this message in a reply
16-12-2009, 07:54 AM
(16-12-2009 06:14 AM)Puppet Wrote:  Heya there!

It seems we have a lot in common! I'm an 18-year-old-skeptic-video-gamer thinking-atheist too! Our only difference would probably be the fact that I dislike reading really thick novels. Big Grin

Big Grin

I'm just weird like that.

Quote:I'm also on Facebook. Maybe I should also join those Atheism groups and fan pages. Do they constantly hold intellectual discussions there?

Reason-Based Atheism tends to have fairly intellectual discussions, but unfortunately the group is rather small compared to the Atheism fan page. Atheism varies from highly-intellectual discussions on the mathematical properties of infinity, the multiverse theory, and their impact on theological arguments to simple religion-bashing. It's a fairly large group, so you get a big variation in what people want to talk about.
If you want a really intellectual community, though, you can't do better than the James Randi Educational Foundation forums (JREF). I'm serious. These guys are smart. Several Ph.D.s in physics smart. And they know logic inside and out. Not only do we discuss gods and arguments for their existence, we also talk about Bigfoot, UFOs, homeopathy, politics, games... pretty much anything you want. And all the believers - whether the object of their belief be ghosts or god - come to the JREF to proselytize, and we have a lot of fun arguing with them.

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-01-2010, 01:22 PM

I enjoy bright people with common sense-- but that smart stuff throws me for a loop. Maybe I should have stayed in school and I'd understand what the heck anyone was talking about. Maybe I'll troll around a little and see if I can't grasp some stuff. I do like learning about quantum physics.
Quote this message in a reply