Hello, a Freethinking Catholic has joined you.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-12-2011, 01:15 AM
RE: Hello, a Freethinking Catholic has joined you.
(20-12-2011 01:05 AM)ddrew Wrote:  Hey! What's up dude!

Um welcome and all.. but .. looks around . . . i'd watch out for that drew character... he's cool when sober .. bit of an ass when drunk .. watch him!

I was wondering how our resident drunk would react to fresh theist meat. Must mean you made a decent first impression, Mike.

Although I still can't wait for Chas to show up...hm...

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
20-12-2011, 01:17 AM
(20-12-2011 01:15 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(20-12-2011 01:05 AM)ddrew Wrote:  Hey! What's up dude!

Um welcome and all.. but .. looks around . . . i'd watch out for that drew character... he's cool when sober .. bit of an ass when drunk .. watch him!

I was wondering how our resident drunk would react to fresh theist meat. Must mean you made a decent first impression, Mike.

Although I still can't wait for Chas to show up...hm...

I was a bit rough on Egor .. had to make up for it somewhere .....

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. -- Voltaire
[+] 1 user Likes ddrew's post
20-12-2011, 01:29 AM
(20-12-2011 01:14 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(20-12-2011 12:18 AM)Nagoda Wrote:  There is in fact a grammatical error in your latin and its hillarious, because I know what you mean, but it means something else entirely. You want to say the soldiers wounded the sailors with spears, meaning they used the spears as a means of doing so. This would just be hastis, and would be called ablative of means syntactically. Cum, while it is a preposition that takes the ablative case, means with in terms of accompaniment, like youre walking with someone. So in fact I am imagining both soldiers and anthropromorphic javelins beating the crap out of a bunch a sailors, which is HILLARIOUS!

Damn Tongue I shoulda caught that myself, even with my basic training... Hey, what variety of Latin do you speak? I know that within the Catholic church Latin has been in continuous use since way back - could you read medieval Latin, or do you speak a more modern variant, or is it the language of the Caesars? Or are they all pretty much the same?

No there are some big differences. I read mostly classical, have read a little bit of medieval latin, but thats a nightmare! Verbs and nouns will drop consonants at the beginning of a word so that habeo (I have) becomes abeo (I go away), and its almost impossible to tell the difference even with context. I like reading modern translations of English works and have at my disposal, including amongst such classical authors as Cicero, Caesar, Virgil, Catullus and Sallust, the Cat in the Hat (Cattus Petasatus), Winnie the Pooh (Winnie Ille Pu), Harrius Potter (books 1 and 2) and even Asterix in Latin, if you ever read the comics as a kid. I speak in restored classical pronunciation, which sounds very different from Church Latin, and when people speak latin outside the Church these days its done in Classical Latin, but with a whole bunch of new words thrown in. If you're interested, I'm translating Lord of the Rings into Latin as my hobby. Granted I only have 2 pages done, but here's my site:

http://dominus-anulorum.blogspot.com

Also, SCHOLA, a social networking site entirely in Latin, including a chatroom:

http://schola.ning.com

If there's one thing I can't stand, it's when professors tell their students that latin is a dead language and lie!
[+] 1 user Likes Nagoda's post
20-12-2011, 01:38 AM (This post was last modified: 20-12-2011 01:44 AM by morondog.)
Thanks! Will take a gander Smile I've seen a copy of Winnie Ille Pu before, at one stage I was almost up to reading it - think I might do a bit of casual study again sometime.

Dominus anulorum eh Smile Had a look. Will be back - with my Latin dictionary Tongue Looks like you're a schoolteacher?
Quick questions:
1. When you pronounce "qu", is it hard as in French "qui" or "kw" sound?
2. Is "g" hard? Is it an-G-ellus or an-j-ellus?
3. "Ecce" - my teacher pronounced it "Eck-se", how would you?
4. Ooo. And Hymnus - would you pronounce that Hoom-nus or Him-nus?
20-12-2011, 01:54 AM
(20-12-2011 01:38 AM)morondog Wrote:  Thanks! Will take a gander Smile I've seen a copy of Winnie Ille Pu before, at one stage I was almost up to reading it - think I might do a bit of casual study again sometime.

Dominus anulorum eh Smile Had a look. Will be back - with my Latin dictionary Tongue Looks like you're a schoolteacher?
Quick questions:
1. When you pronounce "qu", is it hard as in French "qui" or "kw" sound?
2. Is "g" hard? Is it an-G-ellus or an-j-ellus?
3. "Ecce" - my teacher pronounced it "Eck-se", how would you?
4. Ooo. And Hymnus - would you pronounce that Hoom-nus or Him-nus?

Nope, just a student! 9 years towards my BA and counting Big Grin

qu does, to my knowledge, count as a single consonant in terms of pronunciation and is pronounced as in "quack", so kw. Gs and Cs are always hard. Eckse isnt even church pronunciation, MAN is that bad! Classical is Ekke and ecclesiastical is Eche. They y, which got borrowed from ancient Greek, is like the short i. Ergo, vocetur "Himnus".
20-12-2011, 01:57 AM
Yay Thanks Mike Smile I always wondered about that ecce... budget Latin teachers Tongue She was pretty though Smile
20-12-2011, 01:58 AM
OH! Also:

http://wheelockslatin.com/chapters/intro...ction.html

for the straight goods on good proper Roman speakin'
20-12-2011, 02:00 AM
Hi Nagoda,

Welcome. You may or may not require your 'michelin man' suit here! Big Grin

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
[+] 1 user Likes aurora's post
20-12-2011, 02:02 AM
Funny that earlier today I was recommending our theist mascot KC read Anselm's Cur Deus Homo? But suggested he find an English translation. Guess you don't need it translated.

I think a Lessons In Latin might be a fun thread for you to start!

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
20-12-2011, 02:07 AM (This post was last modified: 20-12-2011 02:08 AM by Nagoda.)
(20-12-2011 02:02 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  Funny that earlier today I was recommending our theist mascot KC read Anselm's Cur Deus Homo? But suggested he find an English translation. Guess you don't need it translated.

I think a Lessons In Latin might be a fun thread for you to start!

I might... medieval Latin is NASTY!!

In which subforum would I start such a thread?
(20-12-2011 02:00 AM)aurora2020 Wrote:  Hi Nagoda,

Welcome. You may or may not require your 'michelin man' suit here! Big Grin

The joke has escaped me?