Hello all

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-10-2012, 07:54 PM
Hello all
I became an atheist 15 months ago. I was raised in a fundamental evangelical church and was devout. Any serious questions I had I put down to a mystery that I would solve in heaven as they were too difficult here and with my childhood indoctrination I couldn't face challenging my faith. Finally about 15 years ago I dropped the idea of hell because - it is crazy and in my old age I was finally starting to face up to the questions. Still it took me 14 more years to give up the rest and what a relief it is!
I feel more at peace than I have ever been. I finally came out to my wife and children last month and to my suprise I find 2 of my children fully agree with me and one is far more liberal in her theology than I thought - ie it doesn't matter to her if miracles like the virgin birth or the stories of eden or the flood are true. I have been following this forum for 15 months and have found it very helpful except for houseofcantor - way too esoteric for me but often entertaining.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes sandman's post
10-10-2012, 07:57 PM
RE: Hello all
Brilliant! Welcome!

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT16Rq3dAcHhqiAsPC5xUC...oR0pEpxQZw]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-10-2012, 08:38 PM
Welcome!

Wait... so you basically know us already?

Hmmm

Okay, quiz time.

Briefly explain what you know about Bucky Ball, Erxomai, Lucradis, Chas, Stark Raving, and me.

And go!

[Image: vjp09.gif]
10-10-2012, 10:30 PM
(10-10-2012 07:54 PM)sandman Wrote:  I became an atheist 15 months ago. I was raised in a fundamental evangelical church and was devout. Any serious questions I had I put down to a mystery that I would solve in heaven as they were too difficult here and with my childhood indoctrination I couldn't face challenging my faith. Finally about 15 years ago I dropped the idea of hell because - it is crazy and in my old age I was finally starting to face up to the questions. Still it took me 14 more years to give up the rest and what a relief it is!
I feel more at peace than I have ever been. I finally came out to my wife and children last month and to my suprise I find 2 of my children fully agree with me and one is far more liberal in her theology than I thought - ie it doesn't matter to her if miracles like the virgin birth or the stories of eden or the flood are true. I have been following this forum for 15 months and have found it very helpful except for houseofcantor - way too esoteric for me but often entertaining.

Cool story, glad you have been fortunate enough to find acceptance in your family. I must admit your stalking is a bit creepy, but I am paranoid anyway. Reminds me of the Twilight Zone episode about the guy that got the newspapers from another town and then moved there...As for for houseofcantor, yeah I'm pretty sure he is either a genius, or mad, or both. Esoteric is probably the perfect word to describe him IMO.

10-10-2012, 10:32 PM
Hello all
It's like having an alien probe our asses and we didn't even know it was happening. Glad you finally are joining us.
Welcome. Smile

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
11-10-2012, 05:13 PM (This post was last modified: 11-10-2012 05:17 PM by GirlyMan.)
(10-10-2012 07:54 PM)sandman Wrote:  I have been following this forum for 15 months and have found it very helpful except for houseofcantor - way too esoteric for me but often entertaining.

Esoteric? Is that a synonym for certifiably insane?

(10-10-2012 08:38 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Briefly explain what you know about Bucky Ball, Erxomai, Lucradis, Chas, Stark Raving, and me.

Since when did we switch from a proper fucking hazing to an entrance interview? Did I miss another goddam memo? ... fuckin' Calvinist.

Welcome, SandMan, and now I can't get this fucking song out of my head, gonna keep me up tonight. .... fucker.

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
11-10-2012, 10:08 PM
You know that alien anal probes only happen on Uranus!

I love Mr Sandman....

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
[+] 1 user Likes aurora's post
12-10-2012, 07:08 AM
(10-10-2012 08:38 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Welcome!

Wait... so you basically know us already?

Hmmm

Okay, quiz time.

Briefly explain what you know about Bucky Ball, Erxomai, Lucradis, Chas, Stark Raving, and me.

And go!

Not to sure about all of these but I think you would say by definition I was never really saved(predestined) if I have fallen away - and I'm ok with that.
12-10-2012, 07:11 AM
(11-10-2012 10:08 PM)aurora Wrote:  You know that alien anal probes only happen on Uranus!

I love Mr Sandman....

I love you too - wait - you mean the song.
12-10-2012, 07:17 AM
Welcome. Smile

[Image: opforum1.png]