Hello, all

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-04-2014, 12:55 PM
Hello, all
New here. I'm a 54-year-old from the Houston, Texas area, member of a Church of Christ (Non-institutional, because those other Church of Christers, well, we're just not sure if they're saved or not), and a closet atheist.

It took my until the age of 52 to have that "aha" moment when I realized the whole book that I thought was the Word of God was, as I like to put it, a book of myths, legends, and embellished history.

I've been listening to The Thinking Atheist podcast for awhile now, and am especially interested in next week's show about atheists with believing children.

My wife knows I'm not a believer, but I'm in the closet to such an extent that she sometimes thinks maybe I'm still a Christian. My two grown sons are still strong believers, and they preach when they get the chance. (The younger son actually spent 5 years as a "gospel preacher," giving that up a year ago because he wanted to return to the Houston area and wasn't able to find any church he was interested in working with.)

I'm also a new grandfather. Younger son became a father just a few weeks ago, and much to my dismay he says they plan to homeschool their precious daughter.

I would love nothing more than to dispel the mythology that I am partly responsible for raising them to believe. For now, I limit my attempts to trying to subtly introduce doubt, as I'm afraid that just flat telling them the Bible isn't true would end up with my being kept out of their lives.

My wife and I have been married since 1981. Staying in the closet is the only way to keep her calm, even though I'm sure she has her own doubts. She's always had health and depression problems, but she's terribly afraid of Hell (and that may actually be the cause of some of her problems).

Anyway, that's where I'm coming from. I mostly intended to participate in the forum to discuss the podcast, but that doesn't seem like a very active forum. Anyway, I'm here!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes MisterTwo's post
17-04-2014, 12:58 PM
RE: Hello, all
Well howdy mister. Welcome to the clubhouse.
17-04-2014, 12:59 PM
Always glad to see more new blood. Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes Neue's post
17-04-2014, 01:36 PM
(17-04-2014 12:59 PM)Neue Wrote:  Always glad to see more new blood. Big Grin

Welcome aboard Smile

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
17-04-2014, 02:22 PM
Hey man, glad to see you join the rational part of society Big Grin

I'm closeted myself, and I'm also trying to create some doubts for my closest friends. Hope it all works out well for you!
17-04-2014, 02:44 PM
Welcome! Here is your welcome seal.

[Image: Northern+Elephant+Seal2.jpg]

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
[+] 1 user Likes Metazoa Zeke's post
17-04-2014, 04:04 PM
(17-04-2014 12:55 PM)MisterTwo Wrote:  New here. I'm a 54-year-old from the Houston, Texas area, member of a Church of Christ (Non-institutional, because those other Church of Christers, well, we're just not sure if they're saved or not), and a closet atheist.

It took my until the age of 52 to have that "aha" moment when I realized the whole book that I thought was the Word of God was, as I like to put it, a book of myths, legends, and embellished history.

I've been listening to The Thinking Atheist podcast for awhile now, and am especially interested in next week's show about atheists with believing children.

My wife knows I'm not a believer, but I'm in the closet to such an extent that she sometimes thinks maybe I'm still a Christian. My two grown sons are still strong believers, and they preach when they get the chance. (The younger son actually spent 5 years as a "gospel preacher," giving that up a year ago because he wanted to return to the Houston area and wasn't able to find any church he was interested in working with.)

I'm also a new grandfather. Younger son became a father just a few weeks ago, and much to my dismay he says they plan to homeschool their precious daughter.

I would love nothing more than to dispel the mythology that I am partly responsible for raising them to believe. For now, I limit my attempts to trying to subtly introduce doubt, as I'm afraid that just flat telling them the Bible isn't true would end up with my being kept out of their lives.

My wife and I have been married since 1981. Staying in the closet is the only way to keep her calm, even though I'm sure she has her own doubts. She's always had health and depression problems, but she's terribly afraid of Hell (and that may actually be the cause of some of her problems).

Anyway, that's where I'm coming from. I mostly intended to participate in the forum to discuss the podcast, but that doesn't seem like a very active forum. Anyway, I'm here!

Welcome to reality. You face an intriguing problem. I wish you the best in seeking a resolution, there may not be one. But at least you have the presence of mind to identify the entanglement of lies and myths for what they are, better late than never. Thumbsup

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
17-04-2014, 08:07 PM
Congratulations on your having a grandson recently.

I think the thing of letting your wife think "maybe he is still a christian" is great, given that your wife and two sons are believeres. I think with a somewhat serenity on the belief issue is a wise thing to do.

I must say that I envy you when you had you "aha" moment. I haven't had such a thing. It was pains and effort taking. So again, I envy you.

Welcome aboard.

[Image: bee3ef62gw1ef7zax9i91g201e01eq2z.gif]

Want something? Then do something.
17-04-2014, 08:45 PM
Welcome fellow Texas person!

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
19-04-2014, 03:43 AM
In the immortal words of Axl Rose, welcome to the jungle. Thumbsup

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.