Hello all

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-10-2014, 05:11 PM
Hello all
To earn my degree in Electrical Engineering, I was exposed to the field of Physics. This started me to think about the stories in the Bible. Why all of the visible and open miracles two thousand years ago, but none so obvious since? This started me to doubt some aspects of the Bible. I then came accross Thomas Paine's "The Age of Reason." The book completely ended my belief in the Bible. Youtube introduced me to:

Neil deGrasse Tyson
Richard Dawkins
Sam Harris
Christopher Hitchens
Matt Dillahunty
AronRa
Seth Andrews
Bertrand Russell

and others.

I have not totally embraced Atheism. I still consider myself more a Deist/Agnostic (on the fence). As far as the Bible,

Bible = Koran = Torah = ancient and out dated religious texts
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes tPaine's post
10-10-2014, 05:14 PM
RE: Hello all
(10-10-2014 05:11 PM)tPaine Wrote:  To earn my degree in Electrical Engineering, I was exposed to the field of Physics. This started me to think about the stories in the Bible. Why all of the visible and open miracles two thousand years ago, but none so obvious since? This started me to doubt some aspects of the Bible. I then came accross Thomas Paine's "The Age of Reason." The book completely ended my belief in the Bible. Youtube introduced me to:

Neil deGrasse Tyson
Richard Dawkins
Sam Harris
Christopher Hitchens
Matt Dillahunty
AronRa
Seth Andrews
Bertrand Russell

and others.

I have not totally embraced Atheism. I still consider myself more a Deist/Agnostic (on the fence). As far as the Bible,

Welcome to our community. Looking forward to getting to know you.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

10-10-2014, 05:27 PM
Hi Shy
and welcome Big Grin

IKR? Even before I ceased to believe in gods I found stuff like Jonah hanging out in the belly of a whale for days and surviving, a little hard to swallow!
Glad to meet ya!

[+] 1 user Likes TheGulegon's post
10-10-2014, 10:27 PM
(10-10-2014 05:27 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  ... Jonah
... a little hard to swallow!

I see what you did there.

Welcome aboard, TP.

Stick around and we'll see if we can help you knock that fence down.

Thumbsup

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
10-10-2014, 10:42 PM
Welcome to you! Cool

Be true to yourself. Heart
10-10-2014, 11:31 PM
(10-10-2014 05:11 PM)tPaine Wrote:  To earn my degree in Electrical Engineering, I was exposed to the field of Physics. This started me to think about the stories in the Bible. Why all of the visible and open miracles two thousand years ago, but none so obvious since? This started me to doubt some aspects of the Bible. I then came accross Thomas Paine's "The Age of Reason." The book completely ended my belief in the Bible. Youtube introduced me to:

Neil deGrasse Tyson
Richard Dawkins
Sam Harris
Christopher Hitchens
Matt Dillahunty
AronRa
Seth Andrews
Bertrand Russell

and others.

Being an agnostic deist is loads better then a religious theist whether agnostic or gnostic.
So good on you. I followed the same path. it took 20 odd years to get to atheism but hey who is counting. Some people are just slow to deconvert...Blush

But I need to point out it is not possible to partially embrace atheism. Either you believe the assertion that gods exist or you don't.
11-10-2014, 09:47 AM

Neil deGrasse Tyson
Richard Dawkins
Sam Harris
Christopher Hitchens
Matt Dillahunty
AronRa
Seth Andrews
Bertrand Russell

and others.

Don't see how you can value rightfully those authors and still think there is even a remote possibility of a invisible being of any name. Stephen Hawkins "A god is not required".

But welcome in any case.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user