Hello, all

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-01-2015, 09:15 AM
RE: Hello, all
(15-01-2015 09:05 AM)thesummerqueen Wrote:  
(15-01-2015 09:02 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Ma'am, you've already exceeded expectations. Drinking Beverage

Please let my mother know - I haven't become a lawyer or doctor yet so she's skeptical on my abilities to exceed at anything. Tongue

Right... 'Cause the Jewish thing...

At least what's expected of you is unnecessarily silly... My parents would be happy if I went back to school for ANYTHING. I've still managed to successfully skirt those low and wide expectations.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-01-2015, 09:17 AM
I'm fighting the school more than my parents about the right to go back. My "adviser" is and was the most uncommunicative administrator on the face of the planet.

In the depths of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer.
Albert Camus
15-01-2015, 09:22 AM
(15-01-2015 09:05 AM)thesummerqueen Wrote:  
(15-01-2015 09:02 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Ma'am, you've already exceeded expectations. Drinking Beverage

Please let my mother know - I haven't become a lawyer or doctor yet so she's skeptical on my abilities to exceed at anything. Tongue

Tell her to call me. Many of the world's most successful people "bloom" a bit later than their compatriots. Do you have any idea HOW many young physicians absolutely HATE what they've gotten themselves into, and because of staggering school debt have no options ? Be happy. Tongue

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
15-01-2015, 09:27 AM
Oh no doubt. I'm not complaining. My parents have a love-hate relationship with my personality and talents. I think it comes from being Boomer-GenX...everything has to be "marketable" or why do it? For instance, my father talks crap about artists and their inability to actually make money, but then turns around and tells me my handwriting is so beautiful, I should do calligraphy for a living - or at least extra money. WTF, do you plan on leaving me a grand inheritance to live on while I do that? I'm living fairly well already and looking for a job that will give me a bit higher pay to cover my hobby costs. That's all I want. Unfortunately, this "Millennial" mind set of "things are good enough" is fucking foreign to older folks who think you should be continually seeking more and more and more and more, and that your hobbies should be making you money instead of being a "time suck"...

Jesus, I just want to travel a bit, do my photography, and have a couple of dogs. Maybe contribute in some way to the rest of humanity. Not strive for Daddy Warbucks.

In the depths of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer.
Albert Camus
15-01-2015, 09:42 AM
Hi! Welcome.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
15-01-2015, 09:44 AM
(15-01-2015 09:27 AM)thesummerqueen Wrote:  I'm living fairly well already and looking for a job that will give me a bit higher pay to cover my hobby costs. That's all I want.

Jesus, I just want to travel a bit, do my photography, and have a couple of dogs. Maybe contribute in some way to the rest of humanity. Not strive for Daddy Warbucks.

“How much is enough” is one of the hardest questions to answer for ourselves, parental and peer pressure is seldom helpful.

I’m part of the Baby Boom generation and there was always a lot of pressure to do more, make more etc. Spent most of my adult life doing things I didn’t want to do because of this mindset. This is not to say I haven’t had fun along the way becuse I‘ve had plenty of that too.

What I can tell you is that I retired early and now I do pretty much whatever the hell I want. I can’t go back and try another path to see how that would have worked out but I do know that I’m very happy now chasing my passions.

I hope you find a balance.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
15-01-2015, 09:44 AM
(15-01-2015 09:27 AM)thesummerqueen Wrote:  Oh no doubt. I'm not complaining. My parents have a love-hate relationship with my personality and talents. I think it comes from being Boomer-GenX...everything has to be "marketable" or why do it? For instance, my father talks crap about artists and their inability to actually make money, but then turns around and tells me my handwriting is so beautiful, I should do calligraphy for a living - or at least extra money. WTF, do you plan on leaving me a grand inheritance to live on while I do that? I'm living fairly well already and looking for a job that will give me a bit higher pay to cover my hobby costs. That's all I want. Unfortunately, this "Millennial" mind set of "things are good enough" is fucking foreign to older folks who think you should be continually seeking more and more and more and more, and that your hobbies should be making you money instead of being a "time suck"...

Me so disappoint.
-Daddy Warbucks

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-01-2015, 09:49 AM
(15-01-2015 09:44 AM)Chas Wrote:  Me so disappoint.
-Daddy Warbucks

That's not to say I wouldn't mind HAVING a Daddy Warbucks. Wink

But he's not necessary.

Sorta been there and done that too - dude had some issues from his last divorce and thought buying me things made up for letting me be his emotional whipping post. Blegh.

Albert Camus
15-01-2015, 09:56 AM
(15-01-2015 09:49 AM)thesummerqueen Wrote:  
(15-01-2015 09:44 AM)Chas Wrote:  Me so disappoint.
-Daddy Warbucks

That's not to say I wouldn't mind HAVING a Daddy Warbucks. Wink

But he's not necessary.

Sorta been there and done that too - dude had some issues from his last divorce and thought buying me things made up for letting me be his emotional whipping post. Blegh.

knowing TSQ from a local forum and Chas from here....Consider you both seem very similar in your no nonsense kind of way. TSQ just might be the female version of Chas. Consider

Heart

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
15-01-2015, 10:00 AM
B&A - who are you? I was not paying attention to prior comments and I've been running on lack of sleep, anxiety and copious amounts of caffeine lately.

Albert Camus