Hello all!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-01-2012, 11:01 PM (This post was last modified: 08-01-2012 11:06 PM by w0rmwood.)
Big Grin Hello all!
I posted in the "put your introductions here" thread, but I like the idea of having a specific thread for my introduction, so consider this somewhat of a crosspost from the other thread (if that's okay- if it's not let me know).

To quote the other thread (with some minor additions):

American. Mid 20s. Fairly new atheist. Grew up in a Christian home, school, and college, and over the past few years I've been moved from conservative Christianity, to a more liberal version, to questioning/unsure, and now to agnostic atheist. It feels liberating and binding at the same time, because in my current situation I am for the most part a "closet atheist". My workplace is Christian-based, my family is made up of Christians, and nearly all of my friends and contacts, at least locally are all Christians as well. The only place I'm public (to my friends only) about it is Facebook, so many of my friends know, which means it could make its way back to my family, but I guess that's a risk I'm willing to take. I have a blog but do not associate it with my real name or anything identifiable.

I could lose my job because of my leaving the faith, and have no legal recourse because it's a religious institution (I think it's absolutely ridiculous that the law protects them like this). It pays well and has good benefits and I have no way out or to another option at this time. I have a ton of debt and being unemployed would be the worst thing that could happen to me. I'm already trying to line up some backup jobs, just in case it somehow slips or gets out that I'm no longer a Christian. The family part I could deal with for the most part, except certain people, but I can go into detail in further posts in the future about those (specifically my grandmother), if I feel like doing so.

Rationally, I'm done with religion. Psychologically, I'm slowly cutting the ties and roots it has dug into my brain (unfortunately). This deals with the fear of hell, and other similar fears or actions (thanking God for things, praying in tough situations).

So there you have it.

"Either God can do nothing to stop catastrophes like this, or he doesn't care to, or he doesn't exist. God is either impotent, evil, or imaginary. Take your pick, and choose wisely." — Sam Harris

"There is no goddamn god, goddamn it."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like w0rmwood's post
08-01-2012, 11:29 PM
RE: Hello all!
Does the arrival of Wormwood signal the Seven Seals are being opened?

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
09-01-2012, 12:00 AM (This post was last modified: 09-01-2012 12:04 AM by morondog.)
(08-01-2012 11:29 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Does the arrival of Wormwood signal the Seven Seals are being opened?

They're here for your fish, that's all.
Hi Wormwood Smile

Is your job directly concerned with Christian stuff - like are you part of the services? 'Cos then I can see people not being happy... otherwise yeah I agree that you should have more legal recourse if say you were the accountant and they fired you for not believing in baby Jesus.

Unfortunately I think that given that it's on FB sooner or later it's gonna come out in the open...
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
09-01-2012, 06:29 AM
Wow, that's a really tough situation with your job.
09-01-2012, 08:02 AM
Welcome. And are you teaching at a private school or something?

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
09-01-2012, 06:03 PM
I work in an IT-related position at a college.

Just to apply I had to sign part of the application that says "I affirm that I believe in the Trinity, etc, etc." and then on the next page I had to tell them "In what ways I agree with their statement of doctrine".

These are questions for PROSPECTIVE EMPLOYEES. Outrageous. I was a Christian at the time so it wasn't an issue. I feel like they can hang this over my head though if I'm found out to no longer be a Christian. It might not actually matter to them because I do well at my job, but it's not hard in this state to be fired for "any reason" with no recourse. Plus they could make up a reason if they needed to so it didn't look religion-related.

As far as FB, it is not a public page, and mostly the friends I have on there were college, high school, or church friends, pretty much none of which are in positions above me at my job nor work there (maybe 1 or 2 of them). Almost everything is friends-only and I block some people from seeing everything.
(08-01-2012 11:29 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Does the arrival of Wormwood signal the Seven Seals are being opened?

I will 'poison' the world with rational thinking! BWAHAHAHAAH!

"Either God can do nothing to stop catastrophes like this, or he doesn't care to, or he doesn't exist. God is either impotent, evil, or imaginary. Take your pick, and choose wisely." — Sam Harris

[+] 1 user Likes w0rmwood's post
09-01-2012, 06:10 PM
(09-01-2012 06:03 PM)w0rmwood Wrote:  I work in an IT-related position at a college.

Just to apply I had to sign part of the application that says "I affirm that I believe in the Trinity, etc, etc." and then on the next page I had to tell them "In what ways I agree with their statement of doctrine".

These are questions for PROSPECTIVE EMPLOYEES. Outrageous. I was a Christian at the time so it wasn't an issue. I feel like they can hang this over my head though if I'm found out to no longer be a Christian. It might not actually matter to them because I do well at my job, but it's not hard in this state to be fired for "any reason" with no recourse. Plus they could make up a reason if they needed to so it didn't look religion-related.

In the real world, these are illegal questions and requirements.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
09-01-2012, 06:44 PM
Unfortuneately, U.S. law says that employers can hire and fire on the basis of religion for organizations whose "purpose and character are primarily religious." (Source)

Whether or not that applies to a religious college I don't know.
09-01-2012, 06:48 PM
It is an extremely-religious, controversial, news-causing college. Oddly enough the Christianity is overt enough that I believe U.S. law does protect them.

However, I did recently learn that to expand the online part of the college, they accepted federal aid. I'm thinking that could be enough of a reason (or at least should be) for them to lose such privileges.

[+] 4 users Like w0rmwood's post
10-01-2012, 07:39 AM
So let me get this straight. You're conflicted because you're lying to a religious institute and making money off your lie....... what's the problem? I think that it is amusing. Think about it. You are behind enemy lines and benefiting from it. Your situation provides so many opportunities for fun. I wish I had your job.

NEW AND IMPROVED!
Twice the anger, Half the space!