Hello all!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-01-2012, 05:25 PM
RE: Hello all!
Have you ever had to pretend to be Christian? It's enough to drive anyone insane.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Ben's post
10-01-2012, 06:48 PM
(10-01-2012 07:39 AM)Hamata k Wrote:  So let me get this straight. You're conflicted because you're lying to a religious institute and making money off your lie....... what's the problem? I think that it is amusing. Think about it. You are behind enemy lines and benefiting from it. Your situation provides so many opportunities for fun. I wish I had your job.

It sounds better than it is. Living a lie to make money off of it is not worth it. The worry of being fired for being honest about who I am and having no legal recourse is a little stressful, enough to make me want to revert Facebook and anywhere else I've challenged religion, just so my lie is 100% effective in places where I'm not anonymous.

It's pretty exhausting and you don't feel like you're being true to yourself. It is fun in a way that I get to take money from them, but really I'm making money for the work I do, not for lying about my faith. I do computer shit, it's not really faith-related, yet I still had to sign belief statements just to apply for it. There's something freeing about not having to lie about yourself anymore. For now, I'm shackled to secrecy.

It might sound cool to be "working for the enemy and taking their money", but its a novelty. It's amusing to people who aren't doing it.

"Either God can do nothing to stop catastrophes like this, or he doesn't care to, or he doesn't exist. God is either impotent, evil, or imaginary. Take your pick, and choose wisely." — Sam Harris

"There is no goddamn god, goddamn it."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like w0rmwood's post
10-01-2012, 07:35 PM
(10-01-2012 06:48 PM)w0rmwood Wrote:  It might sound cool to be "working for the enemy and taking their money", but its a novelty. It's amusing to people who aren't doing it.

Dude, this statement really hit me. You're right. We are well amused, but I can only imagine how tough it is. What a mental and emotional strain you are under. I do hope besides this place you have somewhere you can let off steam. I kept things inside for way too long and it had an ill effect on my psyche until I ended up in therapy...which is not a bad thing, but therapy 3 times a week for going on 6 month can be a bit pricey.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
11-01-2012, 12:45 AM
(09-01-2012 06:48 PM)w0rmwood Wrote:  It is an extremely-religious, controversial, news-causing college. Oddly enough the Christianity is overt enough that I believe U.S. law does protect them.

However, I did recently learn that to expand the online part of the college, they accepted federal aid. I'm thinking that could be enough of a reason (or at least should be) for them to lose such privileges.

Hi w0rmwood - you sound beat, but you're safe and you don't have to keep anything secret here. We exchange ideas on everything and anything, and we even have a few odd Theists that hang around. A few nasty ones pop in too, but for the most part they just sort of poop out. We learn from all exchanges and experiences... speaking of...

For a while, I worked in a drug rehab facility and most of it was faith based, privately funded(therapy) but another part of it was government funded(detox). Therapy part; one Psychologist, a handful of therapists -pop psychologists at best- certainly 12 steppers, but the detox portion was equal opportunity open to all and I found out it was a requisite of funding. Shit, they hired me! At one point, I recall wearing a t-shirt that said kill whitey (band name). Angel

If you are questioned about your faith(lack thereof) and requested to pack your bags, you might suggest that you understood you were hired to keep the federal funding for that department. For all you know, you may have been. Chances are, a middle manager will initially handle the issue, and they are notorious for not digging too deeply especially if paperwork is involved, and blowing it off. Keep your head down, pay down the debt, stockpile money(if possible), and put those applications out there.

I hope you look forward to relaxing more... stress can deplete you. Get plenty of rest and eat well -try to stay away from vending machine crap- exercise is important also. You may have to live inside your head while Theists are lurking about... but you can come here anytime.

Smile Welcome to the forum.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
12-01-2012, 08:28 AM
You must understand That I find this amusing either way. Not that I'm laughing at you.
So you're a person that values honesty and cannot take all the secrecy. I know people like you and I can understand where you're coming from. I suggest finding some hobby to take your mind off your job. Put yourself in a completely separate mindset when at work. It helps keep stress down. And believe me when I say that honesty isn't all it's cracked up to be.

NEW AND IMPROVED!
Twice the anger, Half the space!
[+] 2 users Like Hamata k's post
12-01-2012, 10:56 PM
(12-01-2012 08:28 AM)Hamata k Wrote:  You must understand That I find this amusing either way. Not that I'm laughing at you.
So you're a person that values honesty and cannot take all the secrecy. I know people like you and I can understand where you're coming from. I suggest finding some hobby to take your mind off your job. Put yourself in a completely separate mindset when at work. It helps keep stress down. And believe me when I say that honesty isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Sure. I didn't mean to make it sound like I was angry at you for seeing it as amusing, because in a way, it is. It's just so much more than that underneath, which it what I was getting at.

Also, Kim, thanks for your response.

I do have a blog where I blow off steam occasionally and mostly post about atheist things (but it's relaxing in a way and I have people there too that understand and care). Also I have quite a few hobbies (reading, playing guitar, listening to music, designing, etc.) to help me out.

Not to mention a good bit of alcohol comes in handy often (no worries - not a raging alcoholic lol).

"Either God can do nothing to stop catastrophes like this, or he doesn't care to, or he doesn't exist. God is either impotent, evil, or imaginary. Take your pick, and choose wisely." — Sam Harris

"There is no goddamn god, goddamn it."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user