Hello all!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-05-2012, 08:15 AM
Hello all!
Hello, I'm Matthew!

I've been browsing the forums for the past few nights and took the plunge a few hours ago and signed up. From what I have read so far there is a good wide range of opinion to dig my teeth into.

I've spent the last few months analysing my beliefs in certain subjects and this is a primary reason for joining the forum, but I have a few questions to others if they wouldn't mine chiming in?

1. Have any others been indoctrinated into Atheism? The absolute reverse to many others on this forum? I'm sure that I was, mainly from my father! I did spend some time in my early teens looking at religion and trying to penetrate some of its depth, but it wasn't until my mid teens that I started to critically assess each view and finally settle on atheism.

2. My only fear now is that I am moving very much to the darker side of atheism, radical/militant atheism. It seems to stem from my absolute hatred of right wing fundamentalism, nothing else gets me riled like the BNP or anti-gay campaigners. This could just be my political views being expressed but I seem to be actively looking for an argument. Any radicals here?

Lastly, I saw a christian group campaigning at my university last week, they were employing some rather dirty tactics to get people to talk to them, free chocolate chip buns, I just couldn't refuse and ended up in a heated debate. But the buns were bloody good, I had three.

Anyway, I look forward to getting involved! Hope to see some of you around! Matthew
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes 531581's post
28-05-2012, 08:24 AM
RE: Hello all!
(28-05-2012 08:15 AM)531581 Wrote:  Hello, I'm Matthew!

I've been browsing the forums for the past few nights and took the plunge a few hours ago and signed up. From what I have read so far there is a good wide range of opinion to dig my teeth into.

I've spent the last few months analysing my beliefs in certain subjects and this is a primary reason for joining the forum, but I have a few questions to others if they wouldn't mine chiming in?

1. Have any others been indoctrinated into Atheism? The absolute reverse to many others on this forum? I'm sure that I was, mainly from my father! I did spend some time in my early teens looking at religion and trying to penetrate some of its depth, but it wasn't until my mid teens that I started to critically assess each view and finally settle on atheism.

2. My only fear now is that I am moving very much to the darker side of atheism, radical/militant atheism. It seems to stem from my absolute hatred of right wing fundamentalism, nothing else gets me riled like the BNP or anti-gay campaigners. This could just be my political views being expressed but I seem to be actively looking for an argument. Any radicals here?

Lastly, I saw a christian group campaigning at my university last week, they were employing some rather dirty tactics to get people to talk to them, free chocolate chip buns, I just couldn't refuse and ended up in a heated debate. But the buns were bloody good, I had three.

Anyway, I look forward to getting involved! Hope to see some of you around! Matthew
Hey Matthew welcome to the forum.

I don't think we have any members here that have been indoctrinated into atheism. Most of us were raised religious and deconverted to atheism after looking at religion with a critical mind.

Am i right in thinking you are from the UK?

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
28-05-2012, 08:32 AM
Yes, Yorkshire!
28-05-2012, 10:41 AM
(28-05-2012 08:32 AM)531581 Wrote:  Yes, Yorkshire!

Welcome Matthew. I'm also from the UK, I'm not far from you (Cheshire).

So, tell me, can you really provide me with 'good, honest broadband'? It's just I never had Yorkshire down as a leading world centre for technology Big Grin.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
28-05-2012, 11:07 AM
Howdy!

Frankie de la Cunto
28-05-2012, 11:13 AM
Hi Matthew, welcome aboard.

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
28-05-2012, 12:12 PM
(28-05-2012 10:41 AM)Hughsie Wrote:  It's just I never had Yorkshire down as a leading world centre for technology Big Grin.
Yet they are known for their pudding and Terriers so maybe you shouldn't be so surprised.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
28-05-2012, 03:09 PM
Welcome inmate number 531581. You get life without the possibility of parole too?

#sigh
29-05-2012, 08:36 AM
Welcome!

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
29-05-2012, 07:06 PM
Thank you for the welcome!

Unfortunately I have no experience of PlusNet, I did try and get it installed in my old house but was rather unimpressed when they wouldn't let me bargain down the price, I was hoping for a market like scenario where they yell a price and I barter!

@GirlyMan, atheist for life indeed.

I must say that I am mighty impressed by some of the signatures on this forum, especially the moving images one, I have been captivated by kingschosen for about 10 minutes now! I remember seeing the exact clip on youtube a while back, but it was a lightsaber rather than a jacket, made for a much more impressive result.