Hello all
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-11-2010, 12:29 AM
Hello all
I just stumbled upon this site today and am quite happy to have found this place.
I have been an atheist/realist for only a few years. I was raised in an evangelical christian home. The denomination my family attended was the Church of God, based in Cleveland, TN. The location we attended was in the small town we lived in just outside of Charlotte, NC.
As a child, I saw some incredible (to a 7 to 10 yr old) things happen during church services. One man, I remember, would suddenly be 'struck by the spirit', get up & run across the tops of the pews from pew to pew from the front of the church to the back, then back to the front again. This was very frightening. I saw many, many people get 'slain in the spirit' and fall down to the floor. I remember people saying they had visions of glory when they were slain. I heard people talking 'in tongues' and interpretation of these messages by another member of the church (called tongues and interpretation). These 'messages' were always about how god was going to punish the wicked and how the just would live with god for eternity. They all ended with the words "thus sayeth the lord." This frightened me.
As I got older, my father started telling me that he knew the second coming of christ was soon. We all needed to prepare so we would be ready when the rapture came. There were films shown to the youth about the portrayal of being left behind and enduring the tribulation, then finally being judged by god and sentenced to eternal damnation. This was frightening.
When I graduated high school, my father gave me a bible with a personal note on the inside of the back cover. It said "this book will help lead you through the difficult times coming. It will help you prepare for the second coming, which I believe will happen within the next five years." This was in 1983. The thought that god was going to be returning in the next five years was frightening, but also very angering. I had just started my own life outside the family home and now god was going to be cutting it short. The fear turned to more anger.
It was then I turned from my evangelical denomination and was baptized as a Mormon. This infuriated my father because he always believed that the Mormon church was a cult. I'm not sure what it was, but it was a different taste of Christianity, so I was interested in hearing all I could about the church.
The message was very much the same -- help thy brother, love thy neighbor, etc. I became skeptical of the mormon church when I had ventured off to New Orleans and became stranded there. I went to the local stake to seek some assistance in getting back home and was told I needed to seek assistance from my home stake. It seemed to me as they didn't want to help their "brother in christ", so how were they going to love their neighbor. This angered me.
Eventually, all the anger caused me to look at other gods and religions. It was my belief that christianity was completed corrupt, based on fantasy and filled with hypocritical lemmings.
From that point forward, I looked at all religions very skeptically. I still believed there was a god, but that each religion had perverted the messengers they held up - Abraham, Krishna, Zoroaster, Moses, Buddha, Jesus, and Muhammad.
It was around 6 years ago that I found the Bahá'í temple in Wilmette, IL. It seemed like the perfect religion for me. It united all the beliefs under one roof. And that was a very beautiful roof!
As I learned more about the Bahá'ís, I learned there was no way I could ever be a true Bahá'í. By this point in my life, I had already severely injured my back. Unfortunately, I relied on narcotics to endure everyday life. This was against the beliefs of this new fellowship I thought was the welcoming answer to my spiritual longing. I was wrong again.
By this time, I was 39. I took a look at my life and tried to figure out what I had accomplished, like many men do around the age of 40. I tried to come to terms with what life was really about. The more I looked, the more I realized that my life had changed. I no longer believed in a god.
I became what I call a realist. I keep things real now. I know this computer is real. I know this post is real. There is evidence to prove these things.
I know I am real. I know I have lived. I know I will live until the final part of life comes. Then, I know that will be the end of me. I know I will only live in the memory of my family and friends, if they are still alive. I am not afraid of death anymore, but I am not rushing it either.
Thanks for being here and thanks for reading. I look forward to reading more about all of you and conversing on a intellectual level about real things. Shy
Quote this message in a reply
15-11-2010, 05:54 AM
RE: Hello all
Thats quite the intro...
but welcome to the forum Big Grin its always good to have another among our ranks.

Hey brother christian, with your high and mighty errand, your actions speak so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying.

"This machine kills fascists..."

"Well this machine kills commies!"
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-11-2010, 08:24 AM
Quote:The thought that god was going to be returning in the next five years was frightening, but also very angering.
And couldn't it be pretty unmotivating too? For example: if one has just started studying and believes that God's gonna return in five years, why bother studying?

Anyways, welcomes!

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
15-11-2010, 12:19 PM
I have now lived through another second coming and a several ends of the world and not noticed anything unusual. I wonder if anybody is going to shut up about the end of the world when we are still here in 2013.

The14All. Those church services sound like they came from a bad B-rate movie. When you think back, is it possible that the preacher had a hypnotic technique to his sermons?
15-11-2010, 03:11 PM
@UnderTheMicroscope Thank you for the welcome. It's good to be here.

@Kikko Yes, it was be very unmotivating. Instead of going straight to college, I joined the US Navy. I figured if the world was going to end, submarines would be a cool place to be. LOL

@No J. I know what you mean. I've also lived through those same apocalypses.
My thoughts regarding 2012 is that it's not going to be anything like the end of the world, but I do think there will be something that changes dramatically during the time after the presidential election. Perhaps China will decide not to loan us any more money. Perhaps there will be a civil war. I am not confident something will happen, but I don't want to not be prepared should times get tougher than they already are. Not really a belief in them, but more of a preparing should something happen. You might call it a Pascal effect. Wink
16-11-2010, 01:42 AM
Something will happen. Being prepared is always good. But prophesy is not something I take as anything more than a con job.
08-12-2010, 03:34 AM
Hello Everyone...!
" I am wiki,24 male,new to the forum. Reading books is my hobby.I'm positively looking forward to the forum and its members.I want to thank administrator for giving us the space for sharing our knowledge. I would just like to say hi to everyone.Hope i will enjoy it here.There are lot of people with good knowledge here.It would be nice meeting them.Nice to meet you.Have a good day...!"