Hello and thank you

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-06-2017, 07:26 PM
Hello and thank you
First of all, thank you to the entire atheist/ex-Christian community for giving me a safe place to ask the questions, criticize unfounded religious beliefs, and for giving me a community. Y'all are the best and I can't wait to get started on this forum (:

So about me, I'm (21 F) an ex-Fundamentalist Baptist located in DFW. I grew up in a Christian home and school so the large majority of those closest to me are Christians. When I first started doubting Christianity, I was terrified of what I would find and became stagnant. I didn't go to church but I couldn't dare to question Christianity yet either. But then I became borderline suicidal when I had non-consensual PIV sex because from then on I didn't know how I could be "pure" again. No matter how faithful and involved in the community I was, I couldn't seem to shake my depression and feelings of isolation and shame. My boyfriend introduced me to Zeitgeist, and although I know it's not a reliable source, it opened my eyes to the mere possibility that Christianity may be flawed, and that's all it took.

Since then, I've been engaging in productive conversation with r/ex-christian members on Reddit, I found out my sister de-converted years ago, one of my coworkers told me he's been de-converting for the past 2 years too, and I feel more confident in myself than I ever have. And most recently, The Thinking Atheist has helped me feel that sense of community, belonging, and comfort that I often miss, and I can't express enough how grateful I am to Seth for helping me better understand what the truth is and for inspiring me to always ask the tough questions.

My current challenge is that I recently told my best friend I'm not a Christian anymore (which she actually responded understandingly to, which is better than I was hoping), so I'm typing up a letter for her to better understand why I de-converted and why it was the best decision I could have ever made for myself. If any of you have done something similar, tips would be appreciated! (:

Thank you for reading my introduction, I can't wait to get to know y'all (:
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 8 users Like av0vad0's post
01-06-2017, 07:45 PM
RE: Hello and thank you
Welcome Smile Glad you are here and Hug
01-06-2017, 07:50 PM
Welcome aboard!
01-06-2017, 07:54 PM
Welcome!
01-06-2017, 08:08 PM
Welcome!

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
01-06-2017, 08:22 PM
Oh, Fundamentalist Baptist. That's tricky to get out of, isn't it?
I am glad you got something positive out of your deconversion, and that so many of your colleagues understand/ are in the process of decoverting too.

Smile Hope to read more from you!
02-06-2017, 01:53 AM
Welcome to the board!

And congratulations on coming around into the real world Smile If you have any questions or need to chat, this is the place for you to be.

Advice I give to the newly converted: Try and learn something new every day, particularly if you were discouraged from certain subjects in the past. Pick a subject, and read up on it, and soon enough you'll be up to speed on everything you may have missed out on.

Having problems with your computer? Visit the Free Tech Support thread for help!
02-06-2017, 03:18 AM
Hello ! Big Grin
02-06-2017, 04:57 AM
Grew up Southern Baptist, hardcore fundamentalist. I understand well (some of) what you are going through. Then again, I'm 20 years older, so it was a bit tougher in some ways... I didn't know other atheists until I was about to graduate from college. Sad

Plus, today's internet is almost infinitely better at providing the research to help debunk the claims of religionists than what was available in books in my day.

I'm so glad you've found a community. Humans are social animals; we need community and communication.

There are some really amazing people here, who have helped me in innumerable ways. I hope you find this place as great as I do. Welcome to our little community!

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
02-06-2017, 05:00 AM
Welcome, av0vad0, we're glad you're here.