Hello and thank you

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-06-2017, 05:01 AM
RE: Hello and thank you
Welcome! Thanks very much for sharing your story, and well done for finding your way out of religion! I hope you feel at home here Smile

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-06-2017, 06:48 AM
Welcome to the bumper cars ride of this forum.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Thoreauvian's post
02-06-2017, 06:50 AM
I've dealt with depression and it is not fun. Glad you found your way out.

Welcome to TTA from a rabid atheist (sans rabies).

Today is the best day of my life and tomorrow will be even better.
Robert himself
[+] 1 user Likes Ro3bert's post
02-06-2017, 06:57 AM
(01-06-2017 07:26 PM)av0vad0 Wrote:  First of all, thank you to the entire atheist/ex-Christian community for giving me a safe place to ask the questions, criticize unfounded religious beliefs, and for giving me a community. Y'all are the best and I can't wait to get started on this forum (:

So about me, I'm (21 F) an ex-Fundamentalist Baptist located in DFW. I grew up in a Christian home and school so the large majority of those closest to me are Christians. When I first started doubting Christianity, I was terrified of what I would find and became stagnant. I didn't go to church but I couldn't dare to question Christianity yet either. But then I became borderline suicidal when I had non-consensual PIV sex because from then on I didn't know how I could be "pure" again. No matter how faithful and involved in the community I was, I couldn't seem to shake my depression and feelings of isolation and shame. My boyfriend introduced me to Zeitgeist, and although I know it's not a reliable source, it opened my eyes to the mere possibility that Christianity may be flawed, and that's all it took.

Since then, I've been engaging in productive conversation with r/ex-christian members on Reddit, I found out my sister de-converted years ago, one of my coworkers told me he's been de-converting for the past 2 years too, and I feel more confident in myself than I ever have. And most recently, The Thinking Atheist has helped me feel that sense of community, belonging, and comfort that I often miss, and I can't express enough how grateful I am to Seth for helping me better understand what the truth is and for inspiring me to always ask the tough questions.

My current challenge is that I recently told my best friend I'm not a Christian anymore (which she actually responded understandingly to, which is better than I was hoping), so I'm typing up a letter for her to better understand why I de-converted and why it was the best decision I could have ever made for myself. If any of you have done something similar, tips would be appreciated! (:

Thank you for reading my introduction, I can't wait to get to know y'all (:

While most atheists in the west constitute mostly x Christians, atheist websites like this welcome anyone who has left any religion. Atheists have also left Islam and Hinduism and Buddhism and Jewish religions.

We exist in all skin tones and exist all over the world.

Oh yes, many atheists here, including me do know the responses of family and friends when you tell them. Some have had it easier, but many get more of a backlash depending on family. I had it more easy, my adoptive mother thought it was going to be a temporary phase but long since gave that up, I lost her on March 1rst unfortunately, but she never stopped loving me.

My biological younger sister left Christianity behind, but when she told our biological family, she did get a backlash for quite a while, that has since calmed down.

You will find alot of support here.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
[+] 1 user Likes Brian37's post
02-06-2017, 08:13 AM
Welcome from W. Massachusetts. Smile
[+] 1 user Likes Gwaithmir's post
02-06-2017, 12:20 PM
G'day mate, and welcome to the forums. Smile

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
02-06-2017, 12:56 PM
Good that you found us; welcome! Smile

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
02-06-2017, 07:25 PM
Welcome to the forum

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
02-06-2017, 08:33 PM
(01-06-2017 07:26 PM)av0vad0 Wrote:  First of all, thank you to the entire atheist/ex-Christian community for giving me a safe place to ask the questions, criticize unfounded religious beliefs, and for giving me a community. Y'all are the best and I can't wait to get started on this forum (:

So about me, I'm (21 F) an ex-Fundamentalist Baptist located in DFW. I grew up in a Christian home and school so the large majority of those closest to me are Christians. When I first started doubting Christianity, I was terrified of what I would find and became stagnant. I didn't go to church but I couldn't dare to question Christianity yet either. But then I became borderline suicidal when I had non-consensual PIV sex because from then on I didn't know how I could be "pure" again. No matter how faithful and involved in the community I was, I couldn't seem to shake my depression and feelings of isolation and shame. My boyfriend introduced me to Zeitgeist, and although I know it's not a reliable source, it opened my eyes to the mere possibility that Christianity may be flawed, and that's all it took.

Since then, I've been engaging in productive conversation with r/ex-christian members on Reddit, I found out my sister de-converted years ago, one of my coworkers told me he's been de-converting for the past 2 years too, and I feel more confident in myself than I ever have. And most recently, The Thinking Atheist has helped me feel that sense of community, belonging, and comfort that I often miss, and I can't express enough how grateful I am to Seth for helping me better understand what the truth is and for inspiring me to always ask the tough questions.

My current challenge is that I recently told my best friend I'm not a Christian anymore (which she actually responded understandingly to, which is better than I was hoping), so I'm typing up a letter for her to better understand why I de-converted and why it was the best decision I could have ever made for myself. If any of you have done something similar, tips would be appreciated! (:

Thank you for reading my introduction, I can't wait to get to know y'all (:

Welcome. It all comes down to what can be proven (reality versus fantasy) and how much knowledge you can accrue on the subject. Knowledge leads to confidence. When I started my epistemological journey to atheism from christianity, I embarked on an academic approach to buffer my failing faith with articulable facts to defend it. The opposite happened, the more I learned, the less I believed. Once you become aware that all of the magical stories in the bible are easily disproven, that no one who ever wrote of jesus actually knew him (thus based on hearsay and stories...people LOVE to tell stories...and exaggerate them), and the synoptic gospels were not written by their namesakes...it begins to crumble. Once you remove the pseudepigrapha, fiction, forgery, fantasy, and fabrication from the bible, you don't have anything left to support faith. Remember, faith is the belief in something without evidence. If it had evidence, it wouldn't require faith as it would simply be fact.

Let me know if you have any lingering doubts. Here are some good areas to read...

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...rce-thread

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...or-Dummies

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...ce-Library

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 1 user Likes goodwithoutgod's post
02-06-2017, 08:35 PM
Welcome fellow former Baptist!

Need to think of a witty signature.