Hello atheists

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-08-2015, 12:48 PM
Wink Hello atheists
Hello fellow atheists! I'm excited to be on these forums, and hope that it will help me be more exposed to other people like me, and I can participate in discussions that are more secular. Because I'm new here, I'd like to just give a brief story of me becoming an atheist;

Lenny isn't my real name, I don't feel safe exposing myself as an atheist yet. I'm almost 18 and still live with my parents. I live in Utah, and was raised Mormon. Two years ago I finally came to terms with being an atheist, although I've always wondered things that I was too afraid to ask. e.g. "Doesn't it seem immoral what God is doing to us? It doesn't feel like he loves us, he's threatening us. And if he's bribing us, then how do we know what he's bribing us with?" "Doesn't God himself have a God? Who created him?" "Isn't science more persuasive?"

You know, the obvious questions we've all asked. When I was 13 or 14 I discovered Khanacademy.com, and it exposed me to the idea of evolution, and the big bang theory. That's probably when my faith began diminish. I tried to explain to my family how both theories make complete sense, but they didn't want to hear of it, obviously.

When I was 16, I started attending a trade school, where nobody was Mormon, and I found out that people who are atheists/agnostics, or from different religions aren't bad people at all. People there swore, had tattoos, smoked weed.... but they were still good people. And that changed me, (with help of researching atheism, and my religions' history on the internet). I remember one morning, I showed up to school and just decided right then and there that I didn't believe in God.

So now I'm currently in the closet about my philosophical views, my parents don't know. The only person in my life who knows is my sister, who also recently became an atheist after moving out, (it turns out that she was in the closet for a while too, I trust she won't tell anybody). I still have a year of high school left, and I'm thinking about telling my parents. Actually, I think they're quickly finding out that I'm an atheist right now anyways, between the Richard Dawkins book in my bedroom, spending more time with my atheist siblings (who are of course not on speaking terms with my parents anymore) and my strong immunity for swear words and sexual/violent/drug references (that shit doesn't make me bat an eye).

Anyways, I look forward to reading experiences and opinions, and sharing my own in discussions. I expect to meet some great people, and be enlightened! Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like Lenny's post
09-08-2015, 12:57 PM
RE: Hello atheists
Welcome!
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
09-08-2015, 12:57 PM
Welcome Lenny.

We've got some baby with rosemary and garlic in the slow cooker. Give it a couple hours. Until then, help yourself to some deep fried baby feet.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 2 users Like Stark Raving's post
09-08-2015, 01:03 PM
You are free to come out of that closet here.

Welcome.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
09-08-2015, 01:08 PM
Welcome! Glad you found us.

I just finished a rather in-depth evisceration of mormonism that you may find interesting if you have any lingering doubts or questions, here:

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...-Mormonism

There are a plethora of resources available, the podcasts on the homepage are very good, take a seat by the fire, join a discussion, or start one, etc. Thumbsup

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 1 user Likes goodwithoutgod's post
09-08-2015, 01:11 PM
Welcome aboard...

Don't forget to clear your browser history -- if you want to stay "closeted"....

Some parents are computer savvy enuf to check it...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
09-08-2015, 01:26 PM (This post was last modified: 09-08-2015 01:31 PM by Bucky Ball.)
You can expose yourself here. We won't tell.
Angel

Somewhere I was reading this week how about 1/2 of Salt Lake City is Mormon, and the other 1/2 is really rather anti-LDS. Like people don't really hide how stupid they think all that stuff is. I wonder if that's a change, (that people can now openly ridicule them), or if they always have ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
09-08-2015, 01:28 PM
Welcome
09-08-2015, 01:48 PM
(09-08-2015 01:08 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  Welcome! Glad you found us.

I just finished a rather in-depth evisceration of mormonism that you may find interesting if you have any lingering doubts or questions, here:

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...-Mormonism

There are a plethora of resources available, the podcasts on the homepage are very good, take a seat by the fire, join a discussion, or start one, etc. Thumbsup

Thank you, that's a great article!
[+] 1 user Likes Lenny's post
09-08-2015, 02:47 PM
Lenny - Not only are you more than welcome, here, but we're glad for any support we can offer you. MANY of us come from strict religious backgrounds, and I have to say that even though I have only been here a few months, I'm already amazed at the wisdom and moral character of the vast majority of our members. There are really some amazing people here.

Don't be afraid to ask anything, tell anything, and/or help us understand things we might have wrong. We're Freethinkers, meaning that while we might have strong opinions, we consider the ability to change one's mind the highest praise that can be offered. We have "experts" on many subjects, from science to laws to to sociology to history to religious theology... and every single one of them will listen to what you have to say (provided you can back it up with good logic/reason and research) as a full equal, just as we will not judge you for not knowing something. I've learned more than I thought possible (I am 39) since I started coming here.

Feel free to invite your sister to participate here, as well. I suspect she could use the support, too. I come from a Southern Baptist fundamentalist background, so I would caution you about "coming out" before you leave home on your own. When I was 17, I told my parents I didn't want to attend their church, and they offered me a choice of "go to our church or get out from under our roof"... so I took the latter, and didn't speak to them more than a handful of sentences for the next ten years. (Luckily, we have since repaired our relationship, after both my siblings left Christianity and the folks realized it was probably them, not us, who were out of line.) If you wish to avoid trouble, you may have to play pretend until you can stand on your own two feet.

That's my $0.02, and worth every penny. Good luck, and welcome! Smile

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 4 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post