Hello atheists

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-08-2015, 03:06 PM
RE: Hello atheists
(09-08-2015 12:48 PM)Lenny Wrote:  When I was 13 or 14 I discovered Khanacademy.com, and it exposed me to the idea of evolution, and the big bang theory. That's probably when my faith began diminish.

It is SO great to see young people being able to get access to information and different viewpoints. It provides a lot of hope that religion will dwindle as more and more people discover that it really doesn't have any answers at all.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like unfogged's post
09-08-2015, 03:47 PM
Hello!

Peebothuhlu is not my real name either... but friends call me Peebo-. Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes Peebothuhul's post
09-08-2015, 04:15 PM
Hi!! Welcome!

I'm in the closet, too. I'd suggest you stay in the closet until you're independent.

When I was in high school I had Stephen Hawking's A Brief History of Time and The Universe in a Nutshell on my Christmas list - and my parents actually bought them for me. I don't think they realized that one his key points was that a god wasn't necessary to create the universe. There is the possibility that they don't know who Dawkins even is - although if the book The God Delusion is sitting on your night stand, it wouldn't be too difficult to figure out Tongue

Rocket - we had similar family dynamics. Southern Baptist. Young earth creationists (I don't think they are YEC anymore - and they drink now - so there's been progress). My brother got kicked out when he was 18 just for refusing to go to church after working til 2 am the night before, not even for declaring himself an atheist. My parents don't know either of us aren't Christians and we're in our 30s. That being said, they know we're quite liberal in our views.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 2 users Like Nurse's post
09-08-2015, 06:20 PM
Welcome aboard! Smile

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
14-09-2015, 12:01 AM
Welcome aboard the forum buddy, have a great stay here.
14-09-2015, 12:05 AM
Welcome. Smile

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.