Hello, ciao, hola, hallo, salut, hej, привет, こんにちは, 你好

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-10-2014, 08:32 AM
RE: Hello, ciao, hola, hallo, salut, hej, привет, こんにちは, 你好
(23-10-2014 07:50 AM)Chas Wrote:  4 or 5 languages makes you multilingual, not bilingual.

Hello Chas. Big Grin I meant that I'm a native speaker of two languages. The other languages have been subsequently acquired in school.

(23-10-2014 08:02 AM)Colourcraze Wrote:  That's awesome! I'm actually not native Chinese, my tag is a joke Tongue but I have been living in China for 2 years so far and I am fairly intermediate. I'm working toward taking the HSK proficiency test next year to see where I am officially. Smile

I also minored in Spanish, which was my very first foreign language love affair. Then I studied Italian for a few semesters, but it's been a long time since I practiced that one!

I love love love languages, I'd like to learn some Arabic next, but if I move to Japan, it'll be Japanese. Big Grin

What do you do to learn a new language? Take classes? Got any secrets? Tongue

Lucky you, I wish my Chinese was better! Big Grin I am learning Japanese on my own, and it's going very slowly, but I'm making progress at least! ahah I think that a very helpful method is to have a textbook + exercises book (+solutions book possibly), so you can force yourself to move forward. Because the problem of self-study is that you're on your own. You can learn at your pace but this means that you're in danger of ... procrastinating. Big Grin

Thanks everybody for the messages!

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-10-2014, 08:35 AM
(23-10-2014 08:22 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  Welcome to the forum! Smile

I happen to love languages too, trying to learn as many as I can. I'm Greek and I've been taught some Ancient Greek and Latin at school.
I speak English fluently and I also have some basic to intermediate knowledge of French and Spanish, and also some basic knowledge of Japanese.

I'm hoping to perfect my skills in all those languages and even more. I've learned mainly through translations (which I love to do) and I think the secret to learning any language is having something interesting to process in it (songs, movies, books).

Well, you must know that I'm a very huge fan of Greek. I love how it sounds and I am certainly going to learn it someday. Also the script looks fabulous. (I'm an alphabet/script enthusiast.)

I've done translation as a job, but I'm more into interpreting. Was yours a job or just a hobby?

孤独 - The Out Crowd
23-10-2014, 08:41 AM
Welcome aboard Smile

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
23-10-2014, 08:43 AM
(23-10-2014 08:35 AM)The Polyglot Atheist Wrote:  Well, you must know that I'm a very huge fan of Greek. I love how it sounds and I am certainly going to learn it someday. Also the script looks fabulous. (I'm an alphabet/script enthusiast.)

I've done translation as a job, but I'm more into interpreting. Was yours a job or just a hobby?

Unfortunately, I haven't had the chance to do it professionally, but since I love it, it's a hobby I've had for about a decade now. I always disliked interpreting because I would have to deal with people and I'm very socially awkward Blush

Greek is definitely a demanding language but it is one of the most transparent languages in terms of phoneme-grapheme correspondence (I hope I'm not getting too technical here Rolleyes ) so it is extremely easy to learn to write and read in Greek.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
23-10-2014, 08:49 AM
Thanks to KidCharlemagne1962 and Free Thought! Big Grin

@undergroundp: Oh well, if you really love it, I hope you'll be able to do it as a job! But not all interpreting is done with people. You could be a simultaneous interpreter in the booth, with headphones and a microphone. Big Grin True, there will be other interpreters sitting next to you but they won't interact with you. Tongue

No you're not getting technical, I have studied Linguistics in university. Tongue If I ever have some question about Greek, I'll ask you for help then! Big Grin

孤独 - The Out Crowd
[+] 1 user Likes The Polyglot Atheist's post
23-10-2014, 08:50 AM
What are your two native languages?

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
23-10-2014, 08:52 AM
Ciao The Polyglot Atheist, benvenuto in questa gabbia di matti!

I also love languages, I speak fluently Italian (my native language), English, German, French and Spanish. I also have some rudimentary knowledge of Russian and can read and understand fairly well Catalan, Romanian, Portuguese, Dutch and Retho-Romansch. I don't have a f...ing clue about Eastern languages, though... Sad
23-10-2014, 09:00 AM
(23-10-2014 08:50 AM)Colourcraze Wrote:  What are your two native languages?

Sardinian and Italian. Big Grin

DunkleSeele, grazie! You're still in time to learn an Asian language. Big Grin

孤独 - The Out Crowd
27-10-2014, 11:02 AM
Welcome...
I'm 1/2 Italian, but don't speak it remotely fluently. Big Grin

Have a good time on the forums...

Be true to yourself. Heart
27-10-2014, 11:34 AM
(27-10-2014 11:02 AM)Deidre32 Wrote:  Welcome...
I'm 1/2 Italian, but don't speak it remotely fluently. Big Grin

Have a good time on the forums...

Thank you! Let me know if you need help with Italian! Tongue

孤独 - The Out Crowd